Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna watch corsair 31 and Alibi 29 as well. It's hard to track down these early lesser known gangster films. I'll search for years and then all of a sudden one will pop up I'd missed like "Now i'll tell" about Rothstein where it's like how did I miss this one (not that it's great just that the subject matter is). Someone needs to compile a conclusive list off all the early gangster films

Comment

• Hey anybody seen Nite Ride 1930 with EGR as a gangster? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021183/...m_flmg_act_109

I'm dying to see this, if anyone has or knows a link let me know. Also would love to see Widow from Chicago and Outside the Law again if anyone knows anywhere to see them!

Comment

• My five favorite films in the numerical section at Blockbuster:

5/ 10,000 BC (2008)
        4/ 10 (1979)
        3/ 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
        2/ 21 (2008)
        1/ 40-Year-Old Virgin, The (2005)
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
          Hey anybody seen Nite Ride 1930 with EGR as a gangster? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021183/...m_flmg_act_109

I'm dying to see this, if anyone has or knows a link let me know. Also would love to see Widow from Chicago and Outside the Law again if anyone knows anywhere to see them!
          Outside the Law is a 1920 crime film directed by Tod Browning. Browning remade the film in 1930. Black Mike (Lon Chaney) is a despicable gangster who lures...

1920 original.

Good luck with the others.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Here's a few:

The Terminator
            Braveheart
            Donnie Darko
            Mad Max
            Friday the 13th (1-4)
            Halloween (original)
            Nightmare on Elm St
            Conan the Barbarian (original)
            Lord of the Rings trilogy
            Bladerunner
            Alien
            American Physco
            Silent Night Deadly Night
            The Wanderers
            The Thing

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
              https://archive.org/details/OutsideTheLaw
              1920 original.

Good luck with the others.
              Thanks, I got Outside the Law on DVD & Widow is out now on the Warner Archive. I'd love to see Nite Ride though, it's certainly number 1 on my list of films to see

Comment

• Should have done this last month:

Best Films of Debbie Reynolds

1) The Unsinkable Molly Brown
                2) Singin' in the Rain
                3) Tammy and the Bachelor
                4) The Mating Season
                5) How the West Was Won
                6) The Tender Trap
                7) Susan Slept Here
                8) Goodbye Charlie
                9) Three Little Words (she sings "I Wanna Be Loved by You" as "Helen Kane" here)
                10) Two Weeks with Love (where she and Carleton Carpenter sing "Abba Dabba Honeymoon").

Carrie Fisher Films
                1-3) The First Star War Trilogy
                4) The film she completed last year in the series
                5) When Harry Met Sally

Both of the ladies worked together on a television film (now 17 years old!) with Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Collins, "These Old Broads". It was the first time Reynolds and Taylor appeared together on film at all, and it reminded people that Taylor had stolen Eddie Fisher (Carrie's father) from Reynolds in 1960. That marriage ended as soon as Taylor met Richard Burton in 1963 making Cleopatra. Rumor said that Taylor, Reynolds, and Fisher, when comparing notes, all concluded Eddie was something of a self-centered idiot.

Zsa Zsa Gabor Films
                1) Queen of Outer Space
                2) Moulin Rouge (1953 - the original with Jose Ferrer as Toulouse Lautrec, directed by John Houston)
                3) Touch of Evil (1958 - Yeah, she's in it as a bordello madam, but only for a minute or so. The females in this to recall are Janet Leigh, Marlene Dietrich, and Mercedes McCambridge as a lesbian tough)
                4) Boys Night Out (Zsa Zsa appears in a cameo at the tail-end of the film with actor Larry Keating playing James Garner's boss, and repeating in some dialog with him a point of view that was the basis of the film's comedy before she showed up).
                5) Youngblood Hawk (a film version of the life - fictionalized - of author Thomas Wolfe (James Franciscus)).
                6) Death of a Scoundrel (1955 - her only film with then husband George Sanders; he is a ruthless tycoon against everyone, whose death is the subject of the story. It happens to be the fictionalized version of the still unsolved 1955 murder of ruthless, unlikeable tycoon Sergei Rubinstein, in his Manhattan townhouse).

Jeff
                Last edited by Mayerling; 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                  Thanks, I got Outside the Law on DVD & Widow is out now on the Warner Archive. I'd love to see Nite Ride though, it's certainly number 1 on my list of films to see

Edit. Might not be the film you seek. Taken the cast from another listing here in Oz.

Last edited by DJA; 01-04-2017, 07:47 PM. Reason: Edit.
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Night-Rid...UAAOSwRLZUF2Td

Edit. Might not be the film you seek. Taken the cast from another listing here in Oz.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Night...4AAOSweW5VX0jf
                    Hey thanks DJA, I appreciate that for sure. Yea that's the 1937 film with same name, I'm looking for the 1930 EGR films, seems like nobody has it

Comment

• This Thread has been silent for a bit, so thought I would get it going again....has anyone seen a great classic that they haven't watched in years...or just had some films on their mind.. The Exorcist thread on Audio/Visual got me thinking about this again

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        This Thread has been silent for a bit, so thought I would get it going again....has anyone seen a great classic that they haven't watched in years...or just had some films on their mind.. The Exorcist thread on Audio/Visual got me thinking about this again

Steadmund Brand
                        Murder on the Orient Express

Or

One Chanel here has just reshoot Back to the Future 1,2 and 3
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I thought this one was fantastic.

DON'T READ THE REVIEWS - SPOILERS

Comment

This Thread has been silent for a bit, so thought I would get it going again....has anyone seen a great classic that they haven't watched in years...or just had some films on their mind.. The Exorcist thread on Audio/Visual got me thinking about this again

Steadmund Brand
                            Speaking of horror films, I've recently delved into a slew of seminal European horror films in the 60s and 70s that remain quite influential, especially to American horror films. Many Italian "giallo" thrillers such as Blood and Black Lace (1962), Bird with Crystal Plumage (1970), Deep Red (1972), Death Walks at Midnight (1972), etc., have very distinct style that continues to influence today's films.

The 2009 Swedish whodunit "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" creates a memorable lead character and tells a memorable tale of murder that spans generations. It was also made into an equally good 2011 Hollywood film version of the same title.

Another great Swedish film from 2009 is "Let the Right One In," about a lonely young boy befriending a young vampire girl. In a tired genre that is "vampire film," this little indie film creates many memorable moments that are touching, horrifying, and surprising.

The visually striking and dream-like 2003 South Korean horror flick "A Tale of Two Sisters" must be seen by all look for non-mainstream and artistic works in the tired haunted-house genre.

Alfred Hitchcock's 1927 silent thriller "The Lodger" still holds up pretty well as an early example of a suspense film about a serial killer.

Fritz Lang's 1931 early sound film "M" is still powerful as a police drama about the hunt of a serial murderer.

Clint Eastwood's 2008 thriller "Changeling" is a nice mixture of a story about a missing person (a la The Lady Vanishes), police corruption, and the hunt of a child murderer. Eastwood turns a potentially tired subject matter into a powerful and transcendent experience. This is probably Angelina Jolie's best acting, too.

On the low-brow end of things, I've recently seen one of the prime examples of the so-called "hicksploitation" horror genre, which usually involves deranged killers in the southern US. I'm referring to the 1963 cult classic "Two Thousand Maniacs!" A group of southerners celebrate the centenary of the Civil War by kidnapping a group of outsiders and ritualistically killing them.

Staying on the lower end of things, I've also recently checked out several films by British indie filmmaker Pete walker. His 1976 shocker "House of Mortal Sin" is about an old priest who is so fed up with the promiscuity of young women that he goes out every night and into their homes and cut them up like Jack the Ripper!

All the above titles are readily available on DVD and Blu-ray in both the US and UK, so enjoy!
                            Last edited by YomRippur; 07-25-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• I LOVED Let the Right One In....thought I was the only one who saw it!!!

Steadmund Brand
                              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I LOVED Let the Right One In....thought I was the only one who saw it!!!

Steadmund Brand
                                It was pretty well-known to indie film fans, but pretty much unknown to the public, especially when another vampire film called "Twilight" was released around the same time. It did spawn a pretty good Hollywood remake in 2010 called "Let Me In," with Chloe Moretz as the vampire girl.

Comment

Working...
                                X