Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfather of Film Disappears

Louis Le Prince

A few of us know of the film Roundhay Garden Scene and that it is one of the old recorded films in history (1888 - the same year those little known Whitechapel Murders took place). But, did you know he was also had a Suspicious disappearance. Yes and it seems almost everyone in the film came to an unfortunate end (also very odd). The films inventor Louis Le Prince disappearance before he could show off his new invention (recordable film) and then a few years later Thomas Edison would make his own version of the medium and popularize it (some time in 1896 and in New York).

Some facts about his disappearance:
    September 1890, Le Prince boarded a train on a Friday, promising friends he would rejoin them in Paris on the following Monday for the return journey to England, to be followed by a trip to the US to promote his new camera. However, Le Prince did not arrive at the appointed time and he was never seen again by his family or friends. All that could be established about his last whereabouts was that he was seen on on 16 September 1890 boarding the 2:42 train at Dijon for his return to Paris. The French police, Scotland Yard and the family undertook exhaustive searches but never found his body or luggage. This mysterious disappearance case was never solved (information from BBC and Wiki).

-

Louis Le Prince

and some of his films

Roundhay Garden Scene (1888)

Traffic Crossing Leeds Bridge (1888)
    Filmed on paper filmstrips, this is Louis Aime Augustin Le Prince's second known film, produced in October 1888. Only photographic copies of it survive today...
    Last edited by Nemesis Legion; 08-30-2008, 01:18 AM.
    Sometimes all you learn in defeat is that you have been defeated - Anonymous

His widow always maintained he'd been bumped off but it's almost certain he jumped from the train and committed suicide as he had vast debts.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

"but it's almost certain he jumped from the train and committed suicide as he had vast debts"

Just checking, a man on the verge of going public with an invention that would change the world and make him very rich as well as famous (look at Edison just a few years later) killed himself.... It's a little far fetched to say the least wouldn't you say? But then again anything is possible

Comment

Hi NL. I don't make statements on this board that are flights of fancy - I have no time for all that nonsense. I certainly don't make statements based on gut feelings or without research. This is the opinion of an old BBC documentary on the subject which I, coincidentally, watched again a few days ago. What makes you think he was 'about to go public' with it?

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Well I guess your right, occam's razor is on your side

Comment

I read a book entitled THE MISSING REEL about the disappearance of Le Prince. It was written about fifteen years back.

If you check out his biography on Wikipedia there is a mention that a body photographed in the Paris Morgue looked like Le Prince.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X