No announcement yet.

Wiki: Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and before I forget, Jon Guy also gave me some info on horse-slaughterer Charles Brittan (of Barber's Yard) leading to the discovery that his surname was actually BRETTON! He lived in both Buck's Row (1881) and Winthrop Street (1891).

Not only that, he told me PC Harvey's age in 1888 - cue biographical discoveries.

This is the sort of thing that collaboration throws up, folks. Cheers Jon.

Comment

Thanks to John

Awesome foundation laying mate. My modem is sorted so Im back in the game as it were- see you there.
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
        Not only that, he told me PC Harvey's age in 1888 - cue biographical discoveries.
        There are also some detailed biographical notes on Harvey on pp. 32, 33 of Gavin Bromley's article, "City Beat (Part II)" in Ripperologist no 75 (January 2007).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          There are also some detailed biographical notes on Harvey on pp. 32, 33 of Gavin Bromley's article, "City Beat (Part II)" in Ripperologist no 75 (January 2007).
          Thanks Chris,

I have it somewhere but am unable to get to it at the moment.

That said, in that issue there's Robert Hills' article on George Morris that has some great biographical stuff in it (it's on Casebook). I couldn't find the man myself. Oh the shame.

JB

Comment

Gsg

I've just done the Wiki page for the Goulston Street Graffito.

As it is quite a contentious subject, I've tried to keep it as neutral as possible, but I am keen to make sure it is as well-informed as possible too.

If anybody wants to post feedback about it, mainly things that could go in, errors or what have you, I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

As always, the Wiki project needs lerts!

Thanks all.
            John

Comment

Just some feedback to say great work John !!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                If anybody wants to post feedback about it, mainly things that could go in, errors or what have you, I'd certainly appreciate any advice.
                Hi John

Superb work again here. I'm constantly impressed by your Wiki stuff.

In the last bit, 'Interpretation', I'd humbly suggest that a discussion of the 'double negative' would be in order ie does it mean Jews should be blamed for nothing or Jews should be blamed for something. As a serial user of double negatives for effect, I'd go with the former and so believe that it wasn't written by JTR. Do you read the 'Yobs' cartoon strip in Private Eye? In the last issue a Yobette is shown about to go out for the night and her parents are saying that her dress is too short and too low cut, to which she replies 'I know and I'm not wearing any knickers either'. In the letters column of the current issue a perceptive reader states that surely such a young lady would have used the double negative and said 'I'm not wearing no knickers either'. I'd have gone for the triple negative ie 'I'm not wearing no knickers neither'.

All the best
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Good point Stephen - and it does fit in with my remit of neutrality on the subject.

I've now put a bit in to that effect.

Comment

Thanks for the hints and PM's folks. All good stuff.

JB

Comment

excellent!

I just wanted to compliment the great work of the volunteers of the Wiki project! It was exactly what I hoped it would be when I voiced my opinion in support of such as project. This is an great resource that I have already found myself referring to when I come across an unknown person or place related to the case. And I'm glad to see that most of the entries have sources posted. This should at the very least keep out some of the more wild and unsubstantiated claims which can often undermine the utility of resources such as this. And I think this wiki is a good demonstration of what can happen when information is freely exchanged from a large pool of expertise.

Keep up the good work!
                      Jeff

Comment

Just a quick note that we're now starting to integrate the main Casebook site with the wiki project in specific areas. The first section is Witnesses, which some of you may have already noticed, is now fully integrated into the wiki project. As witnesses are added/modified in the wiki, they will show up straight away in the "Witnesses" section on the main Casebook site.

We'll be doing the same over time other sections of the site - the Victims section will likely be the next to be integrated.

Thanks again to John for his stellar work on the wiki project!

Comment

Joseph Barnett

OK.

Just done Joseph Barnett and like the GSG it is a tricky subject because he is also a SUSPECT.

Any additions, omissions, hints, advice would be welcome.

Cheers all
                          John

Comment

Great job, John, as always.
                            My omly objection is that Barnett is only referred to as "Suspect" in connection with the Paley theory while he has also been suggested as Kelly's murderer with no Ripper connection, as suggested by for example Alex Chisholm.
                            Regardless of what one thinks of the Kelly murder as a Ripper crime or not, this theory should be included as well.

All the best
                            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Good point, Glenn - I had considered this earlier, but got so caught up in all the other bits, I forgot. Still got to put some pics in, so I'll work that one in too.

Does Chisholm merely suggest she is a victim of Barnett (and not the Ripper) or just not a Ripper victim. I can't find relevant sources for this one.
                              Last edited by John Bennett; 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Hi John,

Ys, he argues that there is a possibilty tyhat she may have been a victim of Barnett and not the Ripper.

Alex had his dissertation Done to Death published in Ripper Notes (April 2000). There have been requests to have it included in the dissertation section on this site but I don't know if this has happened yet.

In short, Chisholm offers the alternative that Barnett murdered Kelly during a possible psychotic episode and that he tried to turn it into a Ripper crime once he found out what he's done, in order to put the blame on the Ripper since the police were on the lookout for a serial killer. And mainly getting his information about the Ripper murders from crude and erronous newspaper reports, he managed to achive over-excessive mutilations that went too far.

It shall also be noted that other discussions in the same direction have been taken place lately without the element of the mutilations as a deliberate copycat crime but a simple result of that the killer (regardless if we're talking about Barnett, Fleming or any other) may have been mentally influenced by the newspaper reports and that displayed itself during the killer's temporary psychosis.

All the best
                                The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X