Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - by Pcdunn 14 minutes ago.
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - by jmenges 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Lechmere graves and tragedy - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 4 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Lechmere graves and tragedy - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (3 posts)
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Periodicals > Ripper Notes

Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
WWotW

Default Status of Ripper Notes?

Ripper Notes began as a quarterly publication of Casebook-productions and has been handed down from Christopher George to Christopher Michael DiGrazia to finally Dan Norder in the middle of 2004. Dan Norder started his editorship of the magazine in full gear, producing colorful, high-production magazines. However, this run lasted only through seven issues as, after the first production in January 06, the magazine, usually a quarterly, published only one additional magazine that year in September. In the entire years of '07 and '08, only one Ripper Notes magazine was produced for each year.

As it stands now, people have attempted to contact Dan to find out the status of Ripper Notes and to ask about the remainder of their subscriptions. The websites for Ripper Notes and Inklings Press (owned by Dan Norder) which publishes the magazines are both offline.

Further updates as news warrants.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Detective

Assuming there's some connection there too to Neil Shelden's recent post that Mr Norder is no longer publishing his book?

B.
www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/
Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Casebook Supporter

Bailey,

Neal Shelden's The Victims of Jack the Ripper was published by Inklings Press, Dan Norder's publishing firm, sometime in 2007. Excellent book. I got my copy at the UK Ripper Conference at Wolverhampton in October 2007. What Neal is complaining about is not receiving either proper royalties from Dan or replies to his emails.

Cheers
Hook
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Detective

Cheers, Cap'n. Neil's book is a veritable treasure - I got mine through an online store locally, tho apparently just in time...

Seems like Mr Norder has somewhat evaporated?

B.
www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Commisioner

I think the least Neal should have is a reply to his mails. Actually, scrap that, the least he deserves is his royalties on what is one of THE books on the subject.

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
WWotW

So it has been more than 3 days since Dan was asked to come clean with the status of Ripper Notes. Dan appears to be in hiding. I suppose if the man doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to answer his critics in private, it was too much to expect that he'd be man enough to make a public accounting of himself and his mistakes.

On another thread, Caz likened it to stealing. I have dithered in my own mind whether I consider what he did merely bad business, or did it fall into the category of bad faith, and stealing?

With Dan's refusal to make a public accounting to a public he was happy to accept subscriptions from, I believe it crosses the line from bad business to bad faith.

But more than that, if Dan actually had a single thought in his head of keeping the business afloat, he would not allow these questions to go unanswered on one of the single avenues available to advertise his product.

So I guess at least that answers the question of Ripper Notes future. It doesn't have one. I can only hope Dan will come to his senses and offer it to someone who might be able to resuscitate it.

Let all Oz be agreed;
Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Hi All,

I presume Neal established from the beginning that his royalties would be payable twice yearly, in March and September (and not just once a year in March)?

And that Neal knows he had royalties due in September but has had no statement yet from his publisher and no explanation, despite repeated requests via email?

I'm just seeking clarification as this has been aired again publicly. Everyone in the book writing game has an interest in knowing exactly how and why Dan, in his role as publisher, has let his writers and customers down.

I'm saddened that Dan has left himself open like this. I never had any trouble, either when I used to write for Ripper Notes on the odd occasion or when I was a subscriber.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 01-16-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Hi Ally,

I was making a general point on the other thread about the definition of stealing. Sadly, only Dan can tell us if the cap fits, ie if he is holding other people's money and can't or won't give them what they are owed in the foreseeable future.

If he isn't ill, or otherwise ignorant of the private or public concerns that have been expressed, then it's not looking good.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
WWotW

Hi Caz,

Well I can answer two of those questions as Phil has posted that he has been in contact with him. Dan is not ill, and he is aware of the concerns being posted on the boards.

As for the Neal questions, I would leave that to Neal to best answer the royalty questions, but I have it from solid authority that it is the tendency of Inkings Press to pay royalties more than once a year. So royalties would definitely be due to Neal, and beyond that, a response should have been given to him, long before Neal felt compelled to post about it on the boards.

Let all Oz be agreed;
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Constable

I have been in contact with Dan (at last) and while I will not presume to speak in his place, I can say that there are some very understandable circumstances that led to his falling off the map for a while, and that crisis is just about past.

I will also express a personal opinion that, given the vindictiveness of some on these boards, they should be thankful that they are not facing libel (because a message board is essentially a print medium) suits for the way in which they are trying to damage RN/Inklings reputation.

But that's ALL I'm going to say on it, no matter what the owner of this site allows SOME posters to get away with...

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.