Casebook Examiner Number 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Examiner Number 6

Casebook Examiner Number 6 will be out this week and promises its usual exciting mix of articles and features. The issue begins with an editorial by Don Souden, “Reefer Madness: JtR and Refrigerated Rail Cars” (he claims that makes sense). Then there is an article “Tatcho,” about George Sims, Melville Macnaghten and Montague Druitt, the first of three-part series by Jonathan Hainsworth. Continuing with the Druitt family, Adam Went takes a long look at the life of one of Montague’s relatives with “Cousin Lionel: The Life and Career of Lionel Druitt.” Jonathan Simons and Neil Bell combine talents to produce “Tom Sadler: 48 Hours,” an in-depth time-line look at the murder of Frances Coles. Finally, David Gates and Jeff Beveridge take a look at violent crime in Whitechapel in 1888 through the twin prisms of Old Bailey records and contemporary newspaper reports.

The Features section opens, as usual, with a series of up-to-the-minute reviews of books, documentaries and stage shows by a variety of writers who present a broad spectrum of opinion. “Open Book Exam” by Don Souden looks this issue at three prolific writers from a century ago, Stewart Evans has his regular informative column on collecting and “On The Case: Extra” this issue provides comprehensive information on both the Belfast and London JtR conferences planned for later this year. The “Ultimate Jack the Ripper Tour” treads ground familiar to the those who attended the 2007 conference as it visits Wolverhampton, birthplace of Catherine Eddowes. “CSI: Whitechapel” looks at the the murder of Mary Jane Kelly , the “Archives” visits Matthew Packer and “From the Library Shelves” focuses on Dr. Crippen. Finally, Andrew Firth provides a photo essay “Fragments of the East End,” based on his forthcoming book of the same title.

kudos

Hello Casebook Examiner. Just received my copy. Finished the excellent piece by Jonathan Hainsworth upon Sir MLM. Perceptive article and well researched.

Kudos.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

So, does anyone still feel that these murders were a natural outflow of the criminal backdrop? Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

I think CE6 is awesome. I have a LOT to say about this issue, but just haven't had the time to say it, so I'm leaving a quick blurb to say that I greatly enjoyed all I've read so far. Although I don't agree with all his suppositions, Jonathan Hainsworth is one of my favorite Ripper writers. Monty and Mr. Simon's piece on Sadler was as close to perfect as you can get and it deserves its own thread for discussion, as a few points struck me as worthy of attention. It was a shocking reminder of how little I knew about the Coles murder, but after reading the timeline, I feel like an expert! More later when I have time.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Each issue of the Examiner keeps getting better and better.

Don's essay about the reefer cars brought back old memories of my model railroad days. It was good to see Jonathan get a chance to place his theory on Druitt and Macnaghten into a cohesive format and Neil Bell's and Mr. Simon's timetable article on Sadler put the best perpective on that murder that I've ever seen. Adam Went shed some light on Lionel Druitt and the mysterious Australian connection. Dave deserves kudos on his compilation of crime in the East End and why the WM were extraordinary and the reviews by Andrew, Jon and Jen were fair and spot on.

If I missed anything its because I haven't read it yet... but certainly will.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Whilst the plaudits are most flattering, it must be pointed out that the Sadler article really is Jons work.

I merely chipped in here and there.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi everyone.

I just finished reading Jon's article (that Neil chipped in on ) and found it both interesting and informative. Framing the article as a time-line was a great idea, and as Cris said, it helped me understand the last hours of Frances Coles, her murder, and the involvement of Sadler better than I ever have before. Presenting the article as a time-line also served to highlight the remarkable degree of alcoholic consumption and random 'petty' violence that marked - or should I say ''marred''?- their short time together.

I enjoyed Don's article 'Reefer Madness' too. I was wondering how in the world he was going to manage to connect a title like that to Jack the Ripper, but he did it! I hadn't realized that milk-trains were so important in carrying the news.

Jonathan's article was quite interesting as well. George Sims is a very intriguing individual, and I can't help feeling sorry for Monty Druitt every time I read about him.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the issue. Good work, everybody!

Comment

Quick question. Are J.G. Simons and 'Big Jon' of the forums one and the same? Unfortunately, my work computer doesn't allow me access to the forums any more, and I presently don't have internet at home, so I can't follow the scene over there.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

No Tom,

Big Jon is Jon Rees.

Jon Guy is Jon Simons.

I am Stewart Evans and Paul Begg.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

You mean to say the article I called 'near perfect' was written by Jon Guy? I love the little turns life takes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Monty
                      Wow, so I'm simueltaneously in a cabal with you AND blacklisted by you? Maybe it's my turn to write an article with Jon Guy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        Keep at it, Monty. If you could also be Philip Sugden and Robin Odell, you would pretty much have cornered the market.

Comment

I'm also Tom Wescott and Grave Maurice, Jane Coram, Ally and I think I am Karen Trennouth.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

You want to be me, you are more than welcome to it.

Don.
                            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Jon Guy is really Jon Simons? Well there you go....

Congrats to the contributors of Examiner 6 for more excellent work, and I should also add for my part that the research into Lionel Druitt and the Australian connection is ongoing - just yesterday I was down in Swansea again. So for those who are interested, keep an eye out for updates!

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Working...
                              X