New photos of Donald S. Swanson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New photos of Donald S. Swanson

I am very happy to be able to share the following photos of Donald Sutherland Swanson, courtesy of the Swanson family. As far as I know, most (if not all) of these photos will be new to the Ripperology community.

Only two of the following photos are explicitly dated (the Nov 1881 photo, and the family shot from May 1885). Some of the dates for the other photos may be estimated based on the ages of Swanson's children... the remaining are just ballpark guesses. Anyway, it is nice to see such an excellent variety of shots spanning from Swanson's early 20s, right up to around 1920.

I want to give a big thank you to the Swanson family for their generosity in sharing these photos. And thanks to Chris Phillips, who met with the family, scanned the photographs, and generally facilitated the whole meeting, etc.

Rob H

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	670028
    This is presumably a photograph of a young Donald Sutherland Swanson (about 20 years old) with his parents, circa late 1860s/ early 1870s—-i.e. around the time Swanson joined the Metropolitan Police force.... There is some debate whether this is Swanson at all, but in my opinion, it certainly looks like him. Chris Phillips: "His mother died in 1873, so if it is he can't be more than 25 in the photo. In fact I wonder whether it might have been taken before he left for London (1867?)."

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	670029
    mid 1870s?

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	670030
    late 1870s or early 1880s?

Name:	3b.jpg
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	670031
    late 1870s or early 1880s? (same as above with contrast adjustment)

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	670032
    late 1870s or early 1880s?

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	670033
    Photo dated November 1881

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	670034
    Donald Sutherland Swanson and family, c.1884

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	670035
    Swanson and family, photo dated May 1885.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	670036
    Late 1880s?

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	670037
    early to mid 1890s?

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	670038
    mid-late 1890s?

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	670039
    1900-1905?

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	670040
    c. 1910 (This and the following photo were taken on the same day)

Name:	12b.jpg
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	670041
    c. 1910

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	670042
    Mid 19-teens? (this and the following photo were taken on the same day)

Name:	13b.jpg
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	670043
    Mid 19-teens?

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	670044
    c. 1920?

Wow,

Thanks Rob, and thanks to whoever gave you the pictures.

And good luck with your book.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Really amazing Rob. Thanks to you and to the Swanson family for sharing them with us. Truly a very nice find.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Thanks for posting these photos, which give us a good impression of Donald Sutherland Swanson's appearance throughout his adult life.

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
        This is presumably a photograph of a young Donald Sutherland Swanson (about 20 years old) with his parents, circa late 1860s/ early 1870s—-i.e. around the time Swanson joined the Metropolitan Police force.... There is some debate whether this is Swanson at all, but in my opinion, it certainly looks like him. Chris Phillips: "His mother died in 1873, so if it is he can't be more than 25 in the photo. In fact I wonder whether it might have been taken before he left for London (1867?)."
        I think this is a particularly nice photo. It's worth adding that though there was initially some doubt about the identification, DSS's surviving granddaughter has confirmed that it shows him with his parents, John Swanson (d. 1879) and Mary (née Thomson) (d. 1873).

More information about DSS's family and career can be found in the wiki section:

Comment

And of course I should repeat Rob's thanks to the members of the Swanson family who were kind enough to allow me to scan these photos, and who generously spent the better part of a day discussing them, DSS and the Ripper case.

Comment

I have put together a collage showing all the images together, in my best guess of chronological order.

RH
            Attached Files

Comment

This is great! Many thanks to Rob and Chris and the Swanson family.

Comment

In my hurry to proceed to the photos I missed the last sentence. Thanks to Chris P too!

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

good work

Hello Rob and Chris. Good work. Well done!

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Excellent work, Rob and Chris!

And many thanks to the Swanson family for kindly agreeing to share the photos.

Best regards,
                    Archaic

Comment

Way to go guys!

Genius!
                      “be just and fear not”

Comment

My thanks and admiration go out - once again - to Rob House and Chris Phillips. And my utmost admiration to the Swanson family for willingly allowing Chris Phillips into their home!

Rob,

Are you and Chris co-authoring the book?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

I am actually writing the book myself, although Chris's research has been invaluable to the project. Chris and I have been sort of co-researching Kozminski for several years now, and the book would certainly not be happening at all were it not for his research. I really cannot say enough about Chris's stunning work over the years, and the many great finds and insights he has contributed.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob. You're preaching to the choir. Chris' knowledge of the case is more well-rounded and indepth than most of us chatty Kathy's on the boards, myself most certainly included. And you're obviously no slouch either, or else Chris wouldn't be working with you. Outside of my boy Le Grand, Kosminski is the only other suspect who I feel holds promise, but sorely needs more research to progress the case against him. I have no doubt that your book will one of the most important we see in the next decade...perhaps century!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello Chris and Rob,

My admiration and thanks to you both! A very very nice piece of work, and the lovely reaction from the Swanson family, which says much of you Chris, and you, Rob. Well done gentleman. I salute the Swanson family for their generosity and kindness in sharing these lovely photos with us all.

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X