Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper Of Eene Misgreep

Hi
    I'm new on the boards but I've been following Casebook for several years now.
    I just got intrigued (still got to read it completely) by the play Jack the Ripper of Eene misgreep written by Paul Anri in 1910, although it's fictious and probably lame (excuse the word plz) it might give an overall sight of the impact of the murders.
    I was wondering if anything is already known about the play and whether people are interested to know more.
    Oh and forgive me if I make mistakes in english, my english is quite good but it's a different story to write it down and really use ''spoken language'' in stead of ''school-english" plus it has been a while.
    Thanks.

I saw it too late, this should probably go to another place on the boards, very, very sorry
    Last edited by Gabrielle; 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM. Reason: saw too late it had to go to Audio-visual
    Pardon me, I don't speak english!

Well, as I thought.
    But here goes anyway. In short.
    The play is a re-written version (male roles only) of a play called ''Of eene misgreep" (="a practice with annoying result") written by Jan Roeland about 1877 if I recall it right. Jack the Ripper probably was added to get more public since the Ripper hysteria still held a lot of people in their grip.

The very brief story:
    There is a fair in town. People are making preparations when suddenly a police officer comes in and tells about the murderer wandering about town. Apparantly the villain likes to attack ''people''.
    The police officer is determined to catch him and goes out to investigate the whole town.
    He finally catches a person of whom he thinks is the culprit simply based on a description of a man with a black beard and deep, dark eyes.
    Needless to say it wasn't him, but the nephew of the towns mayor.
    End of the story: police officer apologies, everybody goes to party!

I have to add that this was a comic play.
    Allthough it has nothing to do with JTR, one phrase is actually slightly relevant.
    "It's just that there have been many false accusations. Everywhere he has been caught at least once and still [he] was walking unharmed all around Europe."

That and the name was all I could find.

Comment

Hi Gabrielle
      The trouble is I haven't heard of this- it sounds interesting tell us more

Suzi x
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Gabrielle and Suzi,

I came across this. Haven't read it yet! Looks like this has been around for a while, maybe. It's in Flemish apparently. Take a look.

Gabrielle, welcome to the site. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards,

Celesta
        Last edited by Celesta; 07-19-2008, 07:59 PM.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hey, thank you both for responding.

And Celesta, extra thanks for placing the link.

I should've done that, but I was under the assumption everybody knew what I was talking about. I get that a lot, bad habit.

Well Suzi, actually that's all I guess. It's just a play where they use Jack the Ripper - probably to sell tickets or to be interesting, but that's about it.

I've read it through and if you really would like to read it I could translate it to the best of my abilities but it would not help the case nor be interesting enough. But I'm at your disposal, if needed.

Still, it's heritage I guess and since it's originated in Belgium and has a very, very, very, very small link with the Ripper I just had to know what it was all about and wondered if someone else was. Specially since a lot of you can't understand it and probably get the wildest ideas maybe....

I did found the original copy (Of eene misgreep by Roeland) for sale , upon which this one is based but I'm not sure if I will buy it, since it's not really relevant with JTR.

Comment

Working...
          X