The single source question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The single source question

In the case of Lechmere and the inquest, only one newspaper reported his home address (according to Fisherman).

Why?

Pierre
    Last edited by Pierre; 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM.

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    In the case of Lechmere and the inquest, only one newspaper reported his home address (according to Fisherman).

Why?

Pierre
    Pierre

Something I have been looking at myself, there are several possible reasons, all of which I am a dressing in part 3. If you have any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      Pierre

Something I have been looking at myself, there are several possible reasons, all of which I am a dressing in part 3. If you have any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

Steve
      Hi Steve,

I do not really have any "ideas". The only hypothesis I want to put forth is that The Star had their own way of collecting information.

What the method was I donīt know.

Pierre
      Last edited by Pierre; 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I do not really have any "ideas". The only hypothesis I want to put forth is that The Star had their own way of collecting information.

Pierre
        Some interesting points to note from my work.

Of the 8 reports of Llewellyn's testimony only four give his address.
        For Eade it's none in 4 reports, and for Mulshaw his address is given only once in 7 reports.

It seems that including the address in press reports of the Nichols inquest did not always occur. I may carry out a quick of the other murders to see if this is repeated if I find the time.

In the Mulshaw reports his address is given only by the Times. It may not therefore be the star was better at collecting.

So the answer may be as simply the press didn't always give full details in the reports.
        It will be interesting to see what results I get when I move to Mitre Sq with a copy of the official report available.

Steve

Comment

Probably for the same reason press reports today are exactly the same across papers.

Column inches.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Probably for the same reason press reports today are exactly the same across papers.

Column inches.
            My thoughts exactly Geoff, but I will look at all options.
            Don't think Pierre's hypothesis will hold up, but the thread is useful to point it out.
            And of course such argues against other ideas that there was something special about Lechmere only having one report of his address.

Steve
            Last edited by Elamarna; 09-25-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Why?
              Why not? Seriously; I'm not being flippant.

I can't see why all newspapers should be expected report all the information all the time. Column-space was limited, and the papers weren't obliged to print anything, really. In the case of the Nichols murder, of course, the big surge of interest in the case had yet to kick off in earnest, so - as we've seen - press coverage wasn't as near as extensive or comprehensive as it would later become.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Steve,

Pierre
                The implication being that the address wasn't given at the inquest but The Star found it out some other way (i.e. the address of Cross rather than Lechmere)? Also that Cross didn't even give his address?

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
                  The implication being that the address wasn't given at the inquest but The Star found it out some other way (i.e. the address of Cross rather than Lechmere)? Also that Cross didn't even give his address?
                  That is certainly what some have suggested. However the other examples I have postrd suggest that this is not an isolated example and to interpret it as being an attempt at avoidance is not supported by the sources.

Steve

Comment

Some interesting points to note from my work.

Of the 8 reports of Llewellyn's testimony only four give his address.
                    For Eade it's none in 4 reports, and for Mulshaw his address is given only once in 7 reports.

It seems that including the address in press reports of the Nichols inquest did not always occur. I may carry out a quick of the other murders to see if this is repeated if I find the time.

In the Mulshaw reports his address is given only by the Times. It may not therefore be the star was better at collecting.

So the answer may be as simply the press didn't always give full details in the reports.
                    It will be interesting to see what results I get when I move to Mitre Sq with a copy of the official report available.

Steve
                    Yes, I think you are right, the press did not always give full details. But we donīt know why and can not generalize from small samples.

Pierre

Comment

Yes, I think you are right, the press did not always give full details. But we donīt know why and can not generalize from small samples.

Pierre
                      Yes the sample size is very small I agree. And I also agree we cannot generalize.
                      The sample does however show that Lechmere only having his address in one report was not unique in the Nichols case.

I will be interested when I look at Mitre square to see if similar happens for any of the witnesses there.

Steve

Comment

Yes the sample size is very small I agree. And I also agree we cannot generalize.
                        The sample does however show that Lechmere only having his address in one report was not unique in the Nichols case.

I will be interested when I look at Mitre square to see if similar happens for any of the witnesses there.

Steve
                        Are you writing a book or report?

Comment

I think that people should consider that Central Press was not the equivalent of modern day Associated Press, and individual reporters were under no obligation or had no mandate to share whatever they uncovered with any news pools.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                            Are you writing a book or report?
                            A series of posts. See the Bucks Row Project and project 2 thread.

Part 3 which is underway will give full discussion on many of the theories about Bucks Row.
                            The Mitre square stuff will follow next year. Wickerman has already done something similar I understand, it will be a source for others to use.

Steve

Comment

A series of posts. See the Bucks Row Project and project 2 thread.

Part 3 which is underway will give full discussion on many of the theories about Bucks Row.
                              The Mitre square stuff will follow next year. Wickerman has already done something similar I understand, it will be a source for others to use.

Steve
                              Thanks Elamarna - sounds interesting, I shall certainly look out your posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X