Nor'easter havoc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nor'easter havoc

Nice to back on line after four days of "No Power Hell." Our area of Connecticut got hit Friday night and all Saturday by a particularly bad Nor'easter that included pouring rain and hurricane-force winds. The result was literally 500+ big trees down, most of them blocking roads and taking out power lines like so many gossamer webs. We had no power, no heat and, because we are on well water, no water either. Plus it was about 40* F outside (and in). In our three-town area 88,000 homes were in the same boat.

I remember how, as a kid, our mom had to practically lasso us to get us into the tub. Yet, when power finally returned today even before checking my email I first wanted a nice hot shower. Guess I'm growing up.

Anyway, gives one a greater appreciation for Thomas Edison, et al.

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Shower Power.
    A new era.

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Don, I hope there was no damage to your home or property and certainly not to yourself and family. It's been a tough winter for just about everyone, hasn't it?
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Indeed, Cel.

We must do more for global warming.

I've decided to drive my car ten hours a day, with all lights on at home.

Amitiés ma chère,
        David

Comment

Global warming is proof that P. T. Barnam's theory was correct.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

What, you two are founding members of the Static Earth Society?
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
              Global warming is proof that P. T. Barnam's theory was correct.
              Hunter, my favorite Barnum quote is " This Way To Egress -> "

Priceless.

In Don's case I guess the best egress would point Southwest?

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

Don, you think you've got it bad because you were without power for 4 days?

Pfft....you should have seen how windy it was down here today, it was totally causing me havoc on the golf course!!

Seriously though, hope all's well over there now...

Cheers,
                Adam.

Comment

Working...
                X