Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 18 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 26 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 30 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 31 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by jerryd 38 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Henry Flower 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (75 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (11 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Rip Don Souden - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. G. View Post
I once convinced my mate to pull up his floorboards and go hunting with a pellet-gun for some kind of burrowing wild animal, it went on for hours and his family got involved. There were people moving furniture about and shining torches into the abyss. It was nothing more than me clicking my toes on the floor inside my boots.

People are easily fooled, by the most foolish of folk
I bet your 'mate' and his family reckon you're a laugh a minute, Mike. How they must have chuckled.

Goodness me, you're such a scally it's a wonder you don't make a mint out of creating a literary hoax of your own that'll get 'em going for the next 25 years. You sound like a natural.

Love,

Caz
X

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Yes, and apparently James Maybrick had one. Not that it would matter if he did or didn't, because nobody in their right mind could interpret this as a serious intention to get Queen Vic on the blower.
Indeed not, Caz. It's the diarist's glib use of the phrase "I'll give her a call" that looks suspicious. Not that long ago, some people were still using the phrases "I'll give him/her a ring" or "I'll give him/her a bell", and before those "I'll telephone him/her". To "give him/her a call" smacks of a casual familiarity with telephone technology that would not become commonplace until well into the 20th Century.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I bet your 'mate' and his family reckon you're a laugh a minute, Mike. How they must have chuckled.

Goodness me, you're such a scally it's a wonder you don't make a mint out of creating a literary hoax of your own that'll get 'em going for the next 25 years. You sound like a natural.

Love,

Caz
X
a friend of mine had a little shack that he lived in for a while, and he had something living in the attic/rafters (not accessible via door or any other way).
The noises was driving him nuts, and one night after we had a few cocktails and trying to watch some fights on TV, the noises started again, and he absolutely lost it. He grabbed his shot gun and started blowing holes through the ceiling. It was a possum. WAS-I emphasize.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Seems like it'd be beneficial for all for someone to track the men down, if they're still here, and hopefully they are, and ask them what the sodding deal is.
You don't say, Mike.

Nobody ever thought of doing that before. Perhaps some of us should give it a go. What do you reckon?

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
I may be nitpicking here, but it seems to me like a more fitting word for the period would've been shall or even possibly should/would.

I'll give her a call, to me, anyway, seems a bit modern, not super modern, but not really 1888.

Just my opinion.
I may also be nitpicking here, Mike, but it's 'I will', not 'I'll'.

Our diarist was a bit of a stranger to contractions. In fact you'll find hardly any in the text, which you may or may not find a trifle odd for anyone writing in the late 20th century and not having much of a clue. Yet they get one particular use of the humble apostrophe bang on, where even highly educated people fall down, where "Sir Jim" writes: 'I believe if chance prevails I will burn St. James's to the ground'.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
One thing that has always 'bothered' me when people say that the text of the diary could easily have been composed using 2 or 3 source books is the fact that in none of them would a murder in Manchester have been mentioned. Why would a forger, knowing full well how many people in the world scrutinise and study these murders, invent another previously unknown one.
Unknown, and almost certainly undetectable. How many unsolved murders, or untraced missing people had there been in Greater Manchester alone during the relevant time period?

The diarist would have had nothing to lose by referring to a fictitious murder, or even picking a known, but unsolved, murder and attributing it to Maybrick. In fact, the "Wearside Jack" hoaxer John Humble did precisely this in 1978/79 when he claimed a Preston victim for the Yorkshire Ripper.

Indeed, it's conceivable that the "Wearside Jack" tape and letters formed part of the inspiration for the writer(s) of the Maybrick diary, and the proof may yet be out there. Perhaps one day a wax cylinder recording will turn up under the floorboards of a Liverpool flat, with a reeely thickchchch Scouse accent reciting a "funny little rhyme" on it

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 09-13-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
I wondered if you could use "give her a call" to mean "pay her a call", as in "pay her a visit"?
Possibly, Caz, but "give him/her a call" in any sense doesn't appear much in print before the 20th Century.

You're quite right about the next line being "Show her my knife", at least on p57 of the diary. However - thanks to the facsimile - we see that that wasn't originally the next line. On p56 we see the diarist thrashing around for a half-decent line to follow "give her a call":

who knows,
perhaps one days [sic]
I will give her a call

Shining knife
my life
honour my knife

Show her my knife
and she will honour me for life

The text in red is crossed out in the diary, so it appears that the idea of showing the knife to the Queen didn't occur immediately to the writer.

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 09-13-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added correct page numbers for diary references
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It would appear to be reasonably super-modern, Mike. And the manner in which it's used I find telling; it seems to be a throw-away comment, like someone today would say "I'll text her".

Not me, by the way: I send texts, I don't "text". It takes quite some time for me to accept a noun being used as a verb. For the same reason, I don't "party" either
I agree, Sam. It just doesn't seem authentic to me.

Jeez, I am a bit guilty of using nouns as verbs from time to time! lol.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Ahh I see. Answering two simple questions is akin to miracle working huh? Well I see you certainly trying to work miracles defending this nonsense in boat loads of long posts no less. You apparently have no problem with that!
Who said your questions were 'simple', Abby?

Let me see - you did. You made an assumption on the basis of what?

I can't help you if you can't help yourself.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Abberline says, he was never amazed,
I did my work with such honour.
For his decree
he had to agree,
I deserve at least an honour so all for a whim,
I can now rise Sir Jim

[...]

Victoria, Victoria
The queen of them all.
When it comes to Sir Jack,
She knows nothing at all.
Who knows, perhaps one day
I will give her a call

Something piqued my attention here. The Queen, the corrupt Establishment, Honours being granted... The Queen knowing 'nothing at all' - and the word 'decree'. Had someone recently watched the excellent 1979 Ripper movie Murder By Decree perhaps, before penning this doggerel? Just a passing thought.

And would a Victorian not have described Victoria as 'Queen of us all'? Who does he mean by 'them'? Not.... the Victorians.... surely?
I guess the intention could've been to imply that the queen was not his queen, but the queen of the people. I'd guess it's an attempt to separate himself from everyone else.