Copper who let JTR get away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper who let JTR get away?

I'm sure I read somewhere (probably here!) that after one of the murders, a local bobby found the body and noticed someone running away from the scene of the crime. Rather than pursue what was most likely the murderer, he stayed with the victim.

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere (probably here!) that after one of the murders, a local bobby found the body and noticed someone running away from the scene of the crime. Rather than pursue what was most likely the murderer, he stayed with the victim.
    hello Harry
    PC Thompson and coles

Comment

Thanks, Abby.

So one of the non-canonical victims, then. What I don't understand is that Thompson is quoted as saying: "I nearly had him. He was only an arm’s length away, and I missed him." However, in his report he states that he didn't see anyone else that night except the railwaymen, and there's mention of some footsteps being heard while he was walking through Chamber Street. That's it.

Comment

What I don't understand is that Thompson is quoted as saying: "I nearly had him. He was only an arm’s length away, and I missed him." However, in his report he states that he didn't see anyone else that night except the railwaymen, and there's mention of some footsteps being heard while he was walking through Chamber Street. That's it.
        The quote that Thompson "nearly had him. He was only an arm's length away and I missed him" was reported after his, Thompson's, death in 1900. This obviously never happened as Superintendent Arnold's report of 13th February, 1891, clearly shows. We are left with a probable tall tale told either by Thompson or a reporter.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
          The quote that Thompson "nearly had him. He was only an arm's length away and I missed him" was reported after his, Thompson's, death in 1900. This obviously never happened as Superintendent Arnold's report of 13th February, 1891, clearly shows. We are left with a probable tall tale told either by Thompson or a reporter.

Wolf.
          And Thompson's action, in staying with the victim, was entirely in line with Metropolitan Police policy.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
          X