No announcement yet.

Aleister Crowleys Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I don't believe in the gloves/neckties story or stories. In my opinion, the neckties thing is a typical Crowley hoax.
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Originally posted by bolo View Post
      Errata,

"Do what thou wilt" as derived from Liber Al isn't really that clever. I'm more into stuff like Liber 777, Book of Toth and Magick Without Tears. If you closely examine some of his thoughts and experiments in the occult-historical context of their time, they not only make a lot of sense but also paved the way for the aforementioned outside the box thinking.

Let me add that I'm not a practitioner but a scholar with a certain historical interest. No cat sacrifices or anything.

Regards,

Boris
      Well then try Peter Carroll ;p cat sacrifice??? I wouldn,'t do that if I were you.

Errata : No, nothing is new indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
        They aren't outside the box. Most of the beliefs he espoused were complete ripoffs of other religions. His social commentary was interesting but irrelevant, his relevance was limited mostly to showing people what a decent con man looks like, his sophistry trite, and his views on human nature were such that it is surprising that a legion of dead Greek philosophers weren't lined up outside his door waiting to box his ears. Everything he did and everything he wrote could have been effortlessly replicated by anyone with access to decent library. The only reason he had any success was because he was not as vapid as Besant (who really WAS an original thinker) nor was he as unacceptably foreign or female like Blavatsky. Of course being an upper class rich bad boy never hurts a man's popularity, but it doesn't make him meaningful either.
        I would argue that Crowley thought outside the box. Give a read to diary of a drug fiend. It's like reading william Burroughs 50 years before junky. Crowley was innovate and creative...that's not to say he didn't ripoff concepts. But I think part of the point of magic and the occult is that isn't new ideas but old ones passed down through time

Crowley was certainly full of it though in many ways and I wouldn't hold any weight to the gloves

Comment

I have his rota cards they are one of his better works, as for the man he loved to be the center of things and had an evil humor, he would be on my list at a dead man's party ( you know that odd muse we have about if you could invite anyone through time type of party ) along with many other greats.
          Last edited by PC Fitzroy-Toye; 07-03-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Hi All,
            Weren't the bloody neckties supposedly found in a trunk belonging to D'Onston Stephenson, by Mabel Collins, his lover?
            Crowley was a collector of eccentric memorabilia, however many of his items had dubious unauthorised origins.

On a lighter note, after looking at the 'boot' article, are we to now deduce that Jack was a three-legged magician with a penchant for silk shawls?

Amanda

Comment

Betty May attributed the ties to Crowley, Vittoria Cremers to Donston.

Comment

I wonder if Crowley's gloves were made of "moleskine"
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                X