Voynich Manuscript: Real or Hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voynich Manuscript: Real or Hoax

I bought a book on this last year. The illustrations are fantastic and the text that accompanies them have yet to be deciphered. Is it just a hoax, and that is why it can never be understood, or is it some encoded biological treatis of Roger Bacon's that had guarded secrets? Maybe it's something else entirely.

Cheers.

Mike
    huh?

If its a Hoax its certainly an older Hoax ie over one hundred years.

As well as Bacon, Leonardo Devinci has been suggested as its author.

As far as I'm aware no one has ever translated it. Some beleive that it is simply gobbaldee gook.

Its the one document I would like Peter Bower to examine. The paper is your best chance of working out where and when it was created. I'd forget trying to translate it, most for the worlds computers have failed.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
      Its the one document I would like Peter Bower to examine. The paper is your best chance of working out where and when it was created.
      I'm afraid this is one Peter Bower definitely wouldn't be able to help with, as it's written on vellum, not paper.

Comment

Hello you all!

Unfortunately I have to say, that the works reminds me of a French girl, who had a telepathic connection to the Martians in the 19th century.

She wrote their texts in their alphabet and made illustrations about their life...

All the best
        Jukka

(PS. Any carbon dating about the script?!)
        Last edited by j.r-ahde; 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM. Reason: One question about timing of the works
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I'm not certain on that chris. Bower is an expert for the Tate, so I would think he has expereince with Vellum , parchment and canvas..

But piont taken.

My guess would be radio carbon dating. These links are interesting

A brief discussion of radiocarbon (carbon-14) dating and its application to the dating of the Qur'anic manuscripts.

The last site clearly discribes Radio carbon dating on vellum.

I think such testing would actually be of use with this particular manuscript.

Pirate

Comment

Everything2 is a community for fiction, nonfiction, poetry, reviews, and more. Get writing help or enjoy nearly a half million pieces of original writing.

Tests not carried out because of potencial damage..

Comment

It's certainly fascinating but the drawings give me the creeps,something very unsettling about them

Comment

Yes, the Voynich Manuscript is certainly an intriguing codex. It's known to have existed since at least the 17th cent. It's deciphering has been the holy grail of many cryptanalysts. The best information on the puzzle is available at: http://www.voynich.nu/
                Mike

"Twinkle, twinkle little bat."

Comment

Working...
                X