suppose it's good for a laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suppose it's good for a laugh

Sorry, everyone, I know it's been a long time (life and that), but thought I'd share this from our local paper this week. Thoughts and opinions please :
    if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Front page to boot!
    I noticed on the Is Mary Jane's real name Mary Jane? thread you said something about Morganstone.
    You are out of the loop a bit. Neal Shelden published an ebook in 2013 titled "Mary Jane Kelly And The Victims Of Jack The Ripper".
    In it he's nailed Morganstone, Elizabeth Phoenix and Mrs Buki.
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Comment

There is a thread on Francis Craig, as well as one on the book about MJK's identity, already on these boards.

I liked this newspaper's report for the local connection, and the sample letter which "outs" Craig as a plagarist (even if the photo caption dates it as "May 1975"). Victorians were harsh!
      Seriously, it's an interesting idea, but still a theory, I think.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am certainly out of the loop, thanks for the info
        if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Ozzy,

with reference to your stated location, are you indeed that Lascar of the vilest antecedents? I sincerely hope not, otherwise I shan't be able to sleep tonight.

Incidentally, I take it that you are aware that this is the story which casts some doubt upon what precisely was Watson's Christian name?

And could, as is claimed, Holmes have removed grease-based theatrical make-up with two rubs of a sponge moistened with water? As a former theatrical myself, I can tell you that this is not possible.

I will say, though, that Mrs St Clair is the one Holmesian 'heroine' I really do fancy, apart, of course, from Beryl Stapleton.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

didn't see it coming

Over the years theres been plenty of speculation that Jack would have committed other crimes prior to 1888,that he couldn't possibly have just started at serial killing.Well now we know.Plagiarism.Whodathunkit?

Comment

Originally posted by joelhall View Post
              Sorry, everyone, I know it's been a long time (life and that), but thought I'd share this from our local paper this week. Thoughts and opinions please :
              http://m.bucksherald.co.uk/news/more...ness-1-6899345
              It's always the descendent of someone involved that figures it out. It seems anyone who was slandered, hired, fired, retired, layed off, married, divorced, disfigured, injured, hospitalized, became a father, suffered the loss of family member or close friend, or themselves died, sometime around 1888, in or around the East End (although exceptions can be made for people who lived in America, Iceland, Japan, China, Madagascar, India, France, or elsewhere provided the descendent in question tries hard enough to put said decendent on horses, carriages, trains, boats, etc. in and out of Whitechapel in 1888) can become a viable JTR provided the descendent is literate and delusional (and/or a really good liar).

Comment

Out of curiosity the woman shown on the front cover of the book is that his Great Aunt, the one who is claimed to be the victim MJK?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  Ozzy,

with reference to your stated location, are you indeed that Lascar of the vilest antecedents? I sincerely hope not, otherwise I shan't be able to sleep tonight.

Incidentally, I take it that you are aware that this is the story which casts some doubt upon what precisely was Watson's Christian name?

And could, as is claimed, Holmes have removed grease-based theatrical make-up with two rubs of a sponge moistened with water? As a former theatrical myself, I can tell you that this is not possible.

I will say, though, that Mrs St Clair is the one Holmesian 'heroine' I really do fancy, apart, of course, from Beryl Stapleton.

Graham
                  Not the lascar, just a friend of Isa Whitney who ended up at The Bar of Gold with Isa but left, on my own, after an hour. I know my limits.
                  I've always liked Kate Whitney myself. I'm just waiting for Isa to drop, then I'll make my move. She's my "the woman".
                  Last edited by Ozzy; 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM.
                  These are not clues, Fred.
                  It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                  They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                  And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                  We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                    Not the lascar, just a friend of Isa Whitney who ended up at The Bar of Gold with Isa but left, on my own, after an hour. I know my limits.
                    I've always liked Kate Whitney myself. I'm just waiting for Isa to drop, then I'll make my move. She's my "the woman".
                    My question was always how John Watson (or in this story James Watson as his wife Mary calls him for some reason) got to be so good a friend of Isa Whitney?

I actually like this story quite a bit - one of the few Holmes' tales that ends comically and not with a killing or arrest.

Now, whatever happened to Mr. James Windibank?

Jeff

Comment

I think the untold story of the gentleman who went back into his house to retrieve his umbrella -- and was never seen again -- probably has something to do with Doctor Who... Or perhaps H. G. Wells...
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                        I think the untold story of the gentleman who went back into his house to retrieve his umbrella -- and was never seen again -- probably has something to do with Doctor Who... Or perhaps H. G. Wells...
                        You are probably right - although it would have been more interesting if he went into the house to get his wife and she came out ready to leave, looking confused, and holding an umbrella with his hat on it!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X