No announcement yet.

sporting achievements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandfather once had a one 143 break, but he also once beat Eddie Charlton so he could play. But with eyes like mine well not good.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I used to play tiddly winks, but now I'm just not fit enough anymore.
      There's actually an annual Oxford-Cambridge tiddly-winks tournament, for which competitors are awarded an unofficial "Quarter Blue" (as opposed to the coveted "Full Blue" offered for rugby, cricket etc).

I learned this from news report a while back, which featured interviews with the Oxford and Cambridge tiddly-winks team members, who actually have a name for their "profession". That name, tongue in cheek and slightly saucy, served to confirm a long-held proletarian suspicion of mine. Here, at last, was proof that Oxbridge is, indeed, a place of punts and winkers.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        But with eyes like mine well not good.
        Neddie Seagoon: What did this attacker look like?

Willium "Mate" Cobblers: I dunno. I didn't see him, mate.

Seagoon: Would you recognise him if you didn't see him again?

Willium: Straight away! Although, sir, me eyes ain't what they used to be.

Seagoon: No?

Willium: Nah... they used to be me ears.

(The Goon Show)
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

There's actually an annual Oxford-Cambridge tiddly-winks tournament, for which competitors are awarded an unofficial "Quarter Blue" (as opposed to the coveted "Full Blue" offered for rugby, cricket etc).
          So if I get selected 4 times do I get a blue?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

So if I get selected 4 times do I get a blue?
            I was at Porterhouse - do I get one?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Is power napping considered a sporting achievement??

Steadmund Brand--
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I started out playing (American) football and baseball as a kid and played both through highschool. I played one year of football in college and four years of baseball.

After college I started powerlifting and had a little success at local/regional meets. I then detoured into boxing. I trained and boxed locally for a few years, nothing serious, the odd ameteur fight between clubs around the town I was working in around that time.

I then got into weightlifting (Olympic style = snatch + clean and jerk) in my late twenties and progressed the point where I ranked in near the top of my weight class (105kg plus) in the states.

Injuries finally caught up with me: Surgery to repair a complete tear of my left triceps tendon (powerlifting), right shoulder bursitis with impingment (olympic lifting), herniated disk in low back (lifting), bone spurs and tendonitis in both knees and elbows (baseball - I was a catcher), a repetitive motion caused cyst on my right wrist (olympic lifting), and a partial tear of my left achilles (baseball).

I was playing in an over 25 year old baseball league until this season. I called it quits at 44.

I still train three times weekly, though not as heavy as in the old days. If I don't train reasonably hard, I have more pain. Reducing my bodyweight from a high of 245 to around 205 has helped also. I've added running to my regimen, running four or five times a week at 5am and the odd 10k once or twice a year when the mood strikes. I also do some medicine ball work, sandbag carrying, battling ropes, and still work the heavy bag at least once a week (more for my mental health, it seems).

I realize that's a ton of information...but I was bored.

Comment

Hello Patrick

I do indeed sympathise

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                    I started out playing (American) football and baseball as a kid and played both through highschool. I played one year of football in college and four years of baseball.

After college I started powerlifting and had a little success at local/regional meets. I then detoured into boxing. I trained and boxed locally for a few years, nothing serious, the odd ameteur fight between clubs around the town I was working in around that time.

I then got into weightlifting (Olympic style = snatch + clean and jerk) in my late twenties and progressed the point where I ranked in near the top of my weight class (105kg plus) in the states.

Injuries finally caught up with me: Surgery to repair a complete tear of my left triceps tendon (powerlifting), right shoulder bursitis with impingment (olympic lifting), herniated disk in low back (lifting), bone spurs and tendonitis in both knees and elbows (baseball - I was a catcher), a repetitive motion caused cyst on my right wrist (olympic lifting), and a partial tear of my left achilles (baseball).

I was playing in an over 25 year old baseball league until this season. I called it quits at 44.

I still train three times weekly, though not as heavy as in the old days. If I don't train reasonably hard, I have more pain. Reducing my bodyweight from a high of 245 to around 205 has helped also. I've added running to my regimen, running four or five times a week at 5am and the odd 10k once or twice a year when the mood strikes. I also do some medicine ball work, sandbag carrying, battling ropes, and still work the heavy bag at least once a week (more for my mental health, it seems).

I realize that's a ton of information...but I was bored.
                    Hello Patrick....

I must admit I got tired just reading that!! I’m only 40 and I hung up my skates/gloves/2nd base mitt/anything else good for me a few years ago (actually, I still do play golf, and tennis on occasion ,but that is getting harder by the day, and that all American workout… bowling (I’m proud that this is my first year of that…. Took me 40 years but I made it  )

I had a friend who was into powerlifting, and strong man contest training… but he would never box me (I always wondered if I could have taken his punch, just his physical strength alone was intense!!)

Now that you are semi-retired for sport…. Don’t think you can try to get in my way of the gold medal in that black jelly bean eating/baseball watching event….. I have enough competition.

I do have to ask, of all the sports, which do you really miss? For me it’s boxing… I think it’s more the fact that it saddens me to realize that I just can’t physically do what I was once able to…. The reflexes are slowed down just that much… on the plus side.. my whole body does not feel like a bruise the day after a fight 

Steadmund Brand--
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      Hello Patrick....

I must admit I got tired just reading that!! I’m only 40 and I hung up my skates/gloves/2nd base mitt/anything else good for me a few years ago (actually, I still do play golf, and tennis on occasion ,but that is getting harder by the day, and that all American workout… bowling (I’m proud that this is my first year of that…. Took me 40 years but I made it  )

I had a friend who was into powerlifting, and strong man contest training… but he would never box me (I always wondered if I could have taken his punch, just his physical strength alone was intense!!)

Now that you are semi-retired for sport…. Don’t think you can try to get in my way of the gold medal in that black jelly bean eating/baseball watching event….. I have enough competition.

I do have to ask, of all the sports, which do you really miss? For me it’s boxing… I think it’s more the fact that it saddens me to realize that I just can’t physically do what I was once able to…. The reflexes are slowed down just that much… on the plus side.. my whole body does not feel like a bruise the day after a fight 

Steadmund Brand--
                      I have to say it's baseball. I miss the team atmosphere. The guys. As far as the actual competition, I guess it's weightlifiting. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. The training. Mechanics of the lifts. The fact that it's just you up on the platform. The pressure to make a lift to win. All that. I have to say, when you pop a big clean and jerk and you're standing there with 180+ kg above your head and the whole place is going bonkers, you're screaming your head off...incredible feeling.

Comment

Is nagging classed as a sport?if it is then my wife could be an Olympic gold medallist.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                          Is nagging classed as a sport?if it is then my wife could be an Olympic gold medallist.
                          Maybe silver.... I wont name the gold medal favorite as she may read this

Steadmund Brand---

Comment

Bronze and silver respectively lads...any woman who can cower two sets of very argumentative twin girls (plus an odd lad...actually a very odd lad at times...) into submission (and still can on occasion!) is a real force to be reckoned with...

It's only the fact that I've spent nearly all my insane working life negotiating with shop stewards that's kept me sane within my marriage...that and my championship level selective deafness

Pardon?

Dave

Comment

Ok... I'll admit the US flag will raise just slightly lower than the UK on the medal stand....Silver is ok

Steadmund Brand--

Comment

Working...
                              X