Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'Day Michael

Thanks for explaining.

Don't worry I am not always polite, but am happy to say when something puzzles me, you should see me when I get my heels dug in. After all I argue for a living, I'm not sure if that makes me more argumentative or if I try to avoid it so I don't feel like I'm at work.

I had obviously misunderstood your earlier post, I had thought that you were contending that Jack had written "Dear Boss" and it just didn't add up to me.

But on rereading I see that you meant the the inspiration behind the name and letter killed at least two.

I really don't at the moment agree with your position that he only killed two but I understand why some think that way.

And while I am new to these boards I've been lurking for years and studying Jacky for decades.

But still freely admit don't know everything and don't have a grasp on a lot of peoples hypothesis on all issues.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

A view of a womb

Hello GUT,

One thing we know for certain is that he knew what a uterus looked like (not sure I would under the circumstances), either from hunting or slaughtering - don't let us leave out the farmers here! Certainly one could get an idea from books, but an illustration is not exactly the same thing.

Unless he did have some medical training, of course - doubt it though.

Best wishes,
      C4

Comment

G'Day C4

One thing we know for certain is that he knew what a uterus looked like (not sure I would under the circumstances), either from hunting or slaughtering - don't let us leave out the farmers here! Certainly one could get an idea from books, but an illustration is not exactly the same thing.
        100% agree. Example I've gutted plenty of fish and chooks but really have little idea of any of the stuff I pull out, because I'm not interested in the guts I'm after the flesh.

A slaughter-man would have been different because they really disposed of very little of the beast, especially a cow or sheep. If experience came from hunting it would depend on what he was hunting, if it was small game the intestines would probably be of little interest [because anything usable is so small] but if larger game like deer it would be a bit like cattle, I would imagine. But wasn't hunting larger game, ie deer, for the upper class.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Bits

Hello GUT,

Yes, it was. Just have this picture in my mind of the old retainer/farmer/slaughterer pointing out the "interesting bits" to someone younger.

Best wishes,
          C4

Comment

G'Day Curious 4

Yes, it was.
            I presume you mean that yes hunting was mainly upper class.

Just have this picture in my mind of the old retainer/farmer/slaughterer pointing out the "interesting bits" to someone younger.
            Not just the naughty bits either but things like a "nise bit of Kidne".
            G U T

Comment

Now there's a theory in the making...Jack the Poacher

Might explain his peaked cap/deerstalker and his sheer elusiveness too!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Poacher

Well, we all know what his delight on a shiny night was at least!

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post

And they're used to quickly field dressing game in the dark... even finishing the animal off sometimes by cutting its throat.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I think in all honesty...what we know about Jack..is virtually nowt
                    We know what he did..or mostly what he did...
                    We surmise we know why he did it
                    We know when he did it
                    We seem to know who he did it to..
                    but we don't know who he is... or was..
                    Ive just finished reading Londons Shadows by Drew D Gray, and have come to the conclusion that it could have been virtually anyone..doesn't have to be a prince, pauper or horse slaughterer..Jew, Mason or Monarch.
                    It was a violent society...
                    The East end was a ferment of political, racist and religious ferment...
                    too much of a mess to glean anything from...
                    Who was Jack?...someone who took advantage of the whole dogs breakfast of a society that had plumbed the depths...

Comment

G'Day Andy

I think in all honesty...what we know about Jack..is virtually nowt
                      We know what he did..or mostly what he did...
                      Only if we know who he did and there seems to be far from universal acceptance on that question.

We surmise we know why he did it
                      Do we? I for 1 have no idea why he did it.

We know when he did it
                      Well we know roughly when each victim was killed.

We seem to know who he did it to..
                      Again a lot don't agree on which victims.

but we don't know who he is... or was..
                      And from 125 years later doubt we ever will.
                      G U T

Comment

The Common Flat Cap

Hi I dont know how long they have been called this, but a lot of Londoners call the flat cap (The one that nearly everyone was wearing) a Cheesecutter Hat.

Pat.................

Comment

Originally posted by andy1867 View Post
                          Ive just finished reading Londons Shadows by Drew D Gray, and have come to the conclusion that it could have been virtually anyone...
                          A must read, for sure. Good background material in one book.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hi Paddy

I believe cheesecutter (as an alternative term for flatcap) is used throughout the British Isles.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post

All the best

Dave
                              What does one wear to 'stalk' a deer?

Comment

Originally posted by BTCG View Post
                                What does one wear to 'stalk' a deer?
                                It's what Sherlock Holmes wore, and it must work quite well.
                                I mean, when was the last time you saw any deer in Whitechapel?
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X