X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblety & Prostitutes

Greetings all,

Howard Brown has asked a very good question:

Mike Hawley made a remark elsewhere, which some of you might be able to substantiate.

Mike said on the 44th post :

" ( Tumblety) exhibited erratic behavior with unfortunates (according to a few accounts)."

Is there a source which has surfaced recently which shows that Tumblety had any dealing with prostitutes ? Mike says there are a few accounts....

Hi Howard, yes, but do you mind if I answer this in April? I planned on starting a thread anyway, so this'll be it.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Tumblety the Woman Hater

Greetings all,

I delayed this response until now, because I wanted to wait for the next issue of the Whitechapel Society Journal to come out, which has just happened at the Society’s East End meeting at Aldgate Exchange Pub. In it, they have graciously published my next article, called ‘Tumblety the Woman Hater’, which –among other things- thoroughly examines the use of the phrase, woman hater, in the late nineteenth century. In short, Francis Tumblety had an unusual hatred of women and his homosexuality had nothing to do with him being a significant Whitechapel murder suspect, even in the eyes of Chief Inspector Littlechild. Also, the argument that homosexual serial killers only kill males is irrelevant in Tumblety’s case. In the article, I present new information on Tumblety and his ‘dealings’ with prostitutes, which Howard has asked about. My suspicion is that Howard is asking this question, because an out-of-date anti-Tumblety argument claims that there are no credible accounts connecting Francis Tumblety to Jack the Ripper’s chosen victims, prostitutes. We now know this to be untrue.

Joe Chetcuti has already responded to this question and presented some of the new information Jack the Ripper Writers website: http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com/...-s-noticeboard

I would like to reinforce a point Joe made. In Neil Storey’s newly published book, The Dracula Secrets: Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources of Bram Stoker, Storey reveals twenty new letters written by Tumblety to Caine. Note a point Tumblety wrote to Caine,

"The Chinamen are as nasty as Locust, they devour everything they come across, rats and cats, and all sorts of decomposed vegetable matter, they are a species of the Digger Indian. Grass hopper is a luxury which they partake with delight. This is not all, the Chinese that are now being landed on the Pacific shelf are of the lowest order. In morals and obscenity they are far below those of our most degraded prostitutes. Their women are bought and sold, for the usual purposes and they are used to decoy youths of the most tender age, into these dens, for the purpose of exhibiting their nude and disgusting person to the hitherto innocent youths of the cities."

In Tumblety’s own words, it shows his prejudice, his misogynist ideology, and his disgust of prostitutes. I then present in my article a new find from a contemporary British newspaper:

It is reported by cable from Europe that a certain person, whose name is known, has sailed from Havre for New York, who is famous for his hatred of women, and who has repeatedly made threats against females of dissolute character. (Sheffield and Rottherdam Independent, December 5, 1888)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheffield Rotherham Independent Dec 5 1888.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	664875

There was only one American Jack the Ripper suspect who left the country at that particular time and sailed from Havre to New York and was famous for his hatred of women; Francis Tumblety. Posters had presented versions of this Daily Telegraph news cable dispatch in the past, but those versions did not contain the phrase, ‘repeatedly made threats against females of dissolute character’. Interestingly, the British report modified the making of threats with ‘repeatedly’, pointing out that Tumblety’s interactions with prostitutes was not just one threatening event. Not only did Francis Tumblety have a hatred of prostitutes, but he also acted upon this hatred with multiple threats overt enough to catch the eye of Scotland Yard.

It should now become clear why Chief Inspector Littlechild singled out Tumblety’s bitter feelings towards women, knowledge he was privy to in November 1888, as evidenced by him stating, “A FACT ON RECORD”. Just as the British article states, this man had a hatred of the very same type of woman Jack the Ripper was killing, and he was acting on his hatred repeatedly. It certainly was serious enough for Assistant Commissioner Anderson to personally request information from US Chiefs of Police on Tumblety with respect to the murders that very month.

I have more, but I do not want the next examples to overshadow this significant material.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    Last edited by mklhawley; 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I appreciate you going to the trouble with this, Mike.
      I would remind one and all that the Boston newspaper excerpt is really proof of nothing , although the person the newspaper is suggesting to have been all those things...roughhouse with the ladies, etc....in my opinion, is Tumblety.

Allow me to respond to your post in this way...using Tumblety's letter to Caine :

1..."The Chinamen are as nasty as Locust, they devour everything they come across, rats and cats, and all sorts of decomposed vegetable matter, they are a species of the Digger Indian.

2..." Grass hopper is a luxury which they partake with delight. This is not all, the Chinese that are now being landed on the Pacific shelf are of the lowest order. In morals and obscenity they are far below those of our most degraded prostitutes. Their women are bought and sold, for the usual purposes and they are used to decoy youths of the most tender age, into these dens, for the purpose of exhibiting their nude and disgusting person to the hitherto innocent youths of the cities."

3. In Tumblety’s own words, it shows his prejudice, his misogynist ideology, and his disgust of prostitutes. I then present in my article a new find from a contemporary British newspaper

Far be it from me to appear as if I am dismissive or rude to someone's sincere belief system, and Mike is a Ripperologist with a sincere belief system which includes Tumblety at the top of the list in terms of the killer's identity.

With all due respect to Mike's views, I fail to see how the letter from Tumblety to Caine is indicative of an association with prostitutes or problems with prostitutes in a one on one confrontation...which is, after all, what I was asking Mike to provide since he said he had evidence of Tumblety & prostitutes together. This excerpt does not suggest that to me, while I leave the reader to make their decision whether it does.

. The sentiments regarding those Chinese who came to the United States were sentiments directed towards Chinese who either were unemployed in their native land or unemployable.. the wretched refuse from China. We're not talking about the artisan class from China, nor the mercantile class...but the proletarian from Peking, ...

Tumblety's comparison between Chinese & a tribe of American Indians, known as the Diggers ( from California ), are milquetoast compared to the honest and factual observations made by Mark Twain around the same time.
      Before any one goes cuckoo for cocoapuffs and claims that Twain was a racist, it needs mentioning that he favored abolition, woman's rights & the emancipation of negroes..paying out of pocket for one negro to attend Yale Law School and frankly was rather left-wing in his political views, supporting the overthrow of the Tzar in the 1880's.
      The remarks about Chinese do not reflect a specific prejudice towards Asiatics, but an appraisal of a class of Chinese, the dregs in Tumblety's mind who were "despoiling his country" with their low regard ( Actually, the Chinese were the misogynists, not Tumblety...he didn't bind their feet and make them walk behind their husbands ) for things he held in high regard.

2. Mike claims that the remarks made about prostitutes show a misogynist ideology. This is simply untrue, to say the least. Evidently Mike has forgotten about the charming little infomercial Tumblety conducted with the New York World in early 1889, where Tumblety just happened to have a poem from one of his female clients upon his person ( one of the old dowagers he schmoozed with his sales pitches ) which he sprang upon the reporter in the interview.

I would gamble a hefty bet that Mike or any other healthy minded man on this site or JTRForums thinks very little about street prostitutes in this "enlightened" age. The gap between prostitute and non-prostitute, in terms of social acceptance today, may be closer than its ever been....but clearly in the mid to late 1800's in the White world, this gap was far more expansive...and every man, even the hypocritical males who traipsed down to see a prostitute for sum o' dat stuff on a Saturday night, but were on time for Church on Sunday morning, considered them degraded, whether they were homosexuals like Tumblety or heterosexuals. This is not misogyny in any way, shape, or form and a dislike of prostitutes, which I'm wagering Mike harbors, as I do, himself, doesn't make him a misogynist, nor does it make one of me.

Mike is inferring that Tumblety, since he "hated" prostitutes, could and in Mike's mind, did do harm to them. Other than vigorously shaking a woman's hand, that's about as close as the big buffoon got to harming any woman...or prostitute. Unless, of course, he was distributing an abortifacient.
      I originally asked Mike and anyone else whether they had an article which demonstrated Tumblety having a confrontation with a prostitute.
      This letter, which I'm glad Mike shared with everyone and appreciative of the gesture, doesn't do that.

This legend of Tumblety being excessively mean spirited to women ( Not mean spirited enough to not do business with them though )....reminds me of Paul Revere in a sense.
      Everyone knows Revere said or something close to, "The British are coming"....but most don't know what he did for a living.
      Tumblety was a businessman, a shady one at that without question.
      To use a discussion he may have had or even discussions (plural ) he had with other men as an indicator of a hatred of women is overlooking the probable real reason for his negative, privately made statements about the distaff sex..
      It would explain, IMHO, why he was, despite his fine presence, his well groomed appearance, albeit outlandish, the ostentatiousness, flash, & expensive shiny boots which the ladies just love, never seen with them in public like a man of that preening should be ,in their minds.

Looking forward to your article, Mike.
      Last edited by Howard Brown; 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        I appreciate you going to the trouble with this, Mike.
        Howard,

I don’t mind you giving me your best shot, even if you mixed it with a touch of rhetoric. You call it a ‘belief system on my part’ and I call it ‘denial’ on your part. The goal here is to discover the truth.

I would remind one and all that the Boston newspaper excerpt is really proof of nothing , although the person the newspaper is suggesting to have been all those things...roughhouse with the ladies, etc....in my opinion, is Tumblety.
        We have to clarify. This article is not a Boston newspaper excerpt. First, it was the New York correspondent of the Daily Telegraph who initiated this. Your mistake is that the first story took place in Boston. Second, it states, “It is reported by cable from Europe”. The origins of this story took place in London.

Allow me to respond to your post in this way...using Tumblety's letter to Caine :

1..."The Chinamen are as nasty as Locust, they devour everything they come across, rats and cats, and all sorts of decomposed vegetable matter, they are a species of the Digger Indian.

2..." Grass hopper is a luxury which they partake with delight. This is not all, the Chinese that are now being landed on the Pacific shelf are of the lowest order. In morals and obscenity they are far below those of our most degraded prostitutes. Their women are bought and sold, for the usual purposes and they are used to decoy youths of the most tender age, into these dens, for the purpose of exhibiting their nude and disgusting person to the hitherto innocent youths of the cities."

3. In Tumblety’s own words, it shows his prejudice, his misogynist ideology, and his disgust of prostitutes. I then present in my article a new find from a contemporary British newspaper

Far be it from me to appear as if I am dismissive or rude to someone's sincere belief system, and Mike is a Ripperologist with a sincere belief system which includes Tumblety at the top of the list in terms of the killer's identity.

A belief system is a product of the limbic system, i.e., emotionally accepting as true regardless of the facts. I’m not sure where you’ve been but the publication of some of my research (part one and two of the Dunham articles, Tumblety’s rings, Chamber of Horrors, and the Woman Hater article (a couple yet to be published)) was the product of me researching the facts behind published claims, mostly anti-Tumblety claims, and discovering blatant mistakes. Which part of this is baseless in fact?

With all due respect to Mike's views, I fail to see how the letter from Tumblety to Caine is indicative of an association with prostitutes or problems with prostitutes in a one on one confrontation...which is, after all, what I was asking Mike to provide since he said he had evidence of Tumblety & prostitutes together. This excerpt does not suggest that to me, while I leave the reader to make their decision whether it does.
        This is where you begin to move the goalposts.

. The sentiments regarding those Chinese who came to the United States were sentiments directed towards Chinese who either were unemployed in their native land or unemployable.. the wretched refuse from China. We're not talking about the artisan class from China, nor the mercantile class...but the proletarian from Peking, ...

Tumblety's comparison between Chinese & a tribe of American Indians, known as the Diggers ( from California ), are milquetoast compared to the honest and factual observations made by Mark Twain around the same time.
        Before any one goes cuckoo for cocoapuffs and claims that Twain was a racist, it needs mentioning that he favored abolition, woman's rights & the emancipation of negroes..paying out of pocket for one negro to attend Yale Law School and frankly was rather left-wing in his political views, supporting the overthrow of the Tzar in the 1880's.
        The remarks about Chinese do not reflect a specific prejudice towards Asiatics, but an appraisal of a class of Chinese, the dregs in Tumblety's mind who were "despoiling his country" with their low regard ( Actually, the Chinese were the misogynists, not Tumblety...he didn't bind their feet and make them walk behind their husbands ) for things he held in high regard.

…and he did it by comparing them to the lowest of low in his mind; prostitutes. You even said it, “dregs in Tumblety’s mind”. This certainly does show how Tumblety felt about prostitutes.

2. Mike claims that the remarks made about prostitutes show a misogynist ideology. This is simply untrue, to say the least. Evidently Mike has forgotten about the charming little infomercial Tumblety conducted with the New York World in early 1889, where Tumblety just happened to have a poem from one of his female clients upon his person ( one of the old dowagers he schmoozed with his sales pitches ) which he sprang upon the reporter in the interview.

And you believe him? It’s interesting how Tumblety detractors claim Tumblety always lied, accept of course this time. Once you finally do read my Tumblety the Woman Hater article, you’ll see that I don’t base my conclusion of Tumblety’s misogynist ideology upon these remarks. I don’t even use these remarks for that purpose.

I would gamble a hefty bet that Mike or any other healthy minded man on this site or JTRForums thinks very little about street prostitutes in this "enlightened" age. The gap between prostitute and non-prostitute, in terms of social acceptance today, may be closer than its ever been....but clearly in the mid to late 1800's in the White world, this gap was far more expansive...and every man, even the hypocritical males who traipsed down to see a prostitute for sum o' dat stuff on a Saturday night, but were on time for Church on Sunday morning, considered them degraded, whether they were homosexuals like Tumblety or heterosexuals. This is not misogyny in any way, shape, or form and a dislike of prostitutes, which I'm wagering Mike harbors, as I do, himself, doesn't make him a misogynist, nor does it make one of me.

This is actually irrelevant. Not everyone was called a ‘woman hater’ by multiple sources like Tumblety was, and then to have a sitting Scotland Yard Chief Inspector corroborate this by stating, “his feelings toward women were remarkable and bitter in the extreme, a fact on record.”

Mike is inferring that Tumblety, since he "hated" prostitutes, could and in Mike's mind, did do harm to them. Other than vigorously shaking a woman's hand, that's about as close as the big buffoon got to harming any woman...or prostitute. Unless, of course, he was distributing an abortifacient.
        I originally asked Mike and anyone else whether they had an article which demonstrated Tumblety having a confrontation with a prostitute.
        This letter, which I'm glad Mike shared with everyone and appreciative of the gesture, doesn't do that.

You just moved the goalposts. You originally asked, “Is there a source which has surfaced recently which shows that Tumblety had any dealing with prostitutes?” The British article stated, “…who has repeatedly made threats against females of dissolute character.” I would call that ‘dealings’ with prostitutes. Remember, I do have more coming.

This legend of Tumblety being excessively mean spirited to women ( Not mean spirited enough to not do business with them though )....reminds me of Paul Revere in a sense.
        Everyone knows Revere said or something close to, "The British are coming"....but most don't know what he did for a living.

Using the word ‘legend’ is pure rhetoric, and again irrelevant. This issue was not in your original question, although I’d be glad to discuss this, as well.

Tumblety was a businessman, a shady one at that without question.
        To use a discussion he may have had or even discussions (plural ) he had with other men as an indicator of a hatred of women is overlooking the probable real reason for his negative, privately made statements about the distaff sex..

You haven’t even read my article, and you claim I did this? Well, you missed the mark.

It would explain, IMHO, why he was, despite his fine presence, his well groomed appearance, albeit outlandish, the ostentatiousness, flash, & expensive shiny boots which the ladies just love, never seen with them in public like a man of that preening should be ,in their minds.

Looking forward to your article, Mike.
        I'm not so sure you will, Howard. It debunks a few conclusions that you've embraced, conclusions that we now know were based upon incomplete evidence. But that's not what your original question was. Maybe my next post will help clarify things.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Just looking at the excerpts you've posted, i would say this is absolutely wrong.
          Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
          …and he did it by comparing them to the lowest of low in his mind; prostitutes. You even said it, “dregs in Tumblety’s mind”. This certainly does show how Tumblety felt about prostitutes.
          The Chinese worker were said to have been lower than the most degraded of his (America's) prostitutes. In fact this means that he held the most degraded of the prostitutes and not, one supposes, the vast majority of prostitutes, in higher esteem than the Chinese of which he was speaking. I believe this would have been a common comparison when talking about those one deems to be absolute riff-raff. I see nothing in this particular piece, and especially considering the era.

Cheers,

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Mike :

If its okay with you, I'd prefer to wait until your article appears before rollin' around in the hay over the issue.
            I understand that you feel that the article ( Sheffield) provides an example of your original statement, of which I started a thread over yonder in Hellville....

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....564#post197564

" ( Tumblety) exhibited erratic behavior with unfortunates (according to a few accounts)
            Mike Hawley
            "With"
            prostitutes as in being in actual contact with them, rather than talking trash about them from a distance with his male friends. The newspaper article and the Caine letter don't demonstrate Tumblety being in contact with them on a physical basis. Perhaps you'd care to rephrase the italicized line.
            As I said, I'm looking forward to your article

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
              Mike,

Just looking at the excerpts you've posted, i would say this is absolutely wrong.

The Chinese worker were said to have been lower than the most degraded of his (America's) prostitutes. In fact this means that he held the most degraded of the prostitutes and not, one supposes, the vast majority of prostitutes, in higher esteem than the Chinese of which he was speaking. I believe this would have been a common comparison when talking about those one deems to be absolute riff-raff. I see nothing in this particular piece, and especially considering the era.

Cheers,

Mike
              Hi Mike,
              Good point; it’s just that it doesn’t take Tumblety’s writing style into account. Tumblety was complaining to Caine about the Chinese, and to emphasize his point of how low they are, he compared them to something Tumblety believed to be very low. One should read Neil Story’s book and see how Tumblety embellished things to the extreme when complaining, as he did when comparing Chinese to prostitutes. For example,

“The proprietor of that filthy sheet ‘The Leader’ is the Champion Black Mailer of England. He is on of the most infamous scoundrels ever vomited upon the earth from the basement story of hell… He is worse than the Colorado potato beetle."

He used the prostitute like he used the Colorado potato beetle. I’d say the earlier article showed what he thought about prostitutes.

Sincerely,
              Mike

Comment

Mike :

If its okay with you, I'd prefer to wait until your article appears before rollin' around in the hay over the issue.
                I understand that you feel that the article ( Sheffield) provides an example of your original statement, of which I started a thread over yonder in Hellville....

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....564#post197564

" ( Tumblety) exhibited erratic behavior with unfortunates (according to a few accounts)
                Mike Hawley
                "With"
                prostitutes as in being in actual contact with them, rather than talking trash about them from a distance with his male friends. The newspaper article and the Caine letter don't demonstrate Tumblety being in contact with them on a physical basis. Perhaps you'd care to rephrase the italicized line.
                As I said, I'm looking forward to your article
                Hi Howard,

I read the thread on JTR Forums, and of course I see Trevor is still upset at me for beginning the thread that disassembled his anti-Tumblety article. He still doesn’t get that he was just plain wrong. You made the comment that I’ve always been a pro-Tumblety guy. Guilty. When I started this, I was impressed by Stewart Evans’ depth of research, which was very convincing. It still impresses me. It was only after this that I saw anti-Tumblety material, and most of it was weak, such as, Tumblety was too tall, he was too gay, his mustache was too big. Some of it, though, seemed rather convincing. I then saw Joe Chetcuti’s and Roger Palmer’s responses, which seemed to answer questions. The problem was that both sides could not be true, so I began to do what I was trained to do; research the research. I researched Evans’ and the anti-Tumblety material, and guess which side had the major holes.

It was then intriguing on how entrenched people were about still rejecting Tumblety even being considered a suspect even though new discoveries clarified misconceptions. It was clearly a case of what psychologists call assimilation vs. accommodation.

Back to your challenge. Excellent question. Here’s what I posted to Fisherman in its entirety,

You nailed part of it. In the case of Tumblety, he was an American (Americanisms in the Dear Boss letter), was wearing an American slouch hat (Constables were on the lookout for this), and exhibited erratic behavior with unfortunates (according to a few accounts). This is why he was brought into the station 'on suspicion'. …but that's not what Littlechild was involved for back at Headquarters. Once they realized who they had, things changed.

The last sentence explains what I meant, numerous accounts which brought him into the station. In the Daily Telegraph and the Sheffield and Rottherdam Independent, it said, ‘who is famous for his hatred of women, and who has repeatedly made threats against females of dissolute character.’ Repeated threats (numerous accounts) was why he was suspected. I was not focused upon multiple accounts of Tumblety interacting with female prostitutes throughout his lifetime. This would be incorrect, since he tried to avoid anything female. …although, that is not entirely true, but that’s for the future. I’m the last person to think that if Tumblety was Jack the Ripper, it is because he was a sado-sexual serial killer. According to the FBI, there are numerous serial offender motives that fit both Francis Tumblety AND Jack the Ripper. …but that’s in the article.

Sincerely,
                Mike

Comment

Good point; it’s just that it doesn’t take Tumblety’s writing style into account. Tumblety was complaining to Caine about the Chinese, and to emphasize his point of how low they are, he compared them to something Tumblety believed to be very low. One should read Neil Story’s book and see how Tumblety embellished things to the extreme when complaining, as he did when comparing Chinese to prostitutes. For example,
                  Hi Mike,

I was only referring to the one particular passage and not to anything else. And again, this reference was to the MOST DEGRADED prostitutes. I am a man who finds prostitution an uncomfortable situation in society, and had I been a man of his times, with the belief of myself as someone of higher society, and almost nobility, I doubt I would have refrained from saying similar things. Yet I probably wouldn't have disparaged against the Chinese. Who knows.

Cheers,

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

It was then intriguing on how entrenched people were about still rejecting Tumblety even being considered a suspect [my emphasis] even though new discoveries clarified misconceptions. It was clearly a case of what psychologists call assimilation vs. accommodation.
                    Good work Mike, careful and thought provoking. All useful stuff I would say, at least it presents material on Tumblety worthy of examination.

I'm not sure what Howard Brown is rambling on about as usual, or what beliefs he now promotes. Surely his site-centric view of the Whitechapel murders lacks something, as does much of internet speculation.

Some research, it appears, is regarded as more equal than to others for whatever reasons a particular bias forms. To borrow an observation of George Orwell.
                    Last edited by auspirograph; 04-08-2013, 10:48 PM.
                    Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Hi Spiro,

I'm glad that you pointed out about presenting useful material worth examining. It's all about discovering the truth.

To Caz:

Since these two threads are joined at the hip, I believe it’s ok for me to respond to your JTR Forum comments here. You stated to Jonathan:

Caz: Just a quick one here if I may, Jonathan. You demonstrate with your very next words why we can all say as a fact that we are more informed about Tumblety than Littlechild claimed to be when he was writing to Sims: “On the other hand, who told the retired head of Secret Dept. that it was 'believed' the American had taken his own life ...?”

Your convoluted logic is this; if there is one mistake, then we can now consider everything Littlechild stated as probably incorrect. Note, though, how Littlechild recalled all of the November 1888 events accurately, which automatically debunks your point. The only way Littlechild would have known such detail is if he was privy to the November 1888 investigation on Tumblety (If he received this info from US newspapers, then he would have known that Tumblety was alive and well in the US). We have additional evidence. Littlechild states,

He was an American quack named Tumblety and was at one time a frequent visitor to London and on these occasions constantly brought under the notice of police, there being a large dossier concerning him at Scotland Yard. …but his feelings toward women were remarkable and bitter in the extreme, a fact on record.

This can only mean that Littlechild read Tumblety’s file. We know that Littlechild was not running the Tumblety investigation, so for him to make a mistake about a post November incident is understandable. It does not discount the reality of him knowing so much about Tumblety's November investigation.

There is one fact that we today are informed of, but Littlechild most likely knew it as well. Assistant Commissioner Anderson personally solicited Brooklyn’s Chief of Police (and most likely San Francisco’s since it occurred at the same time) for information on Jack the Ripper suspect Francis Tumblety. Why would he get personally involved with a nobody suspect? It doesn’t make sense and it doesn’t match Littlechild’s statements in the least.

Caz: Since we don't know that Littlechild would even have considered Tumblety in the running if he had kept tabs on him beyond 1888 and knew that, rather than topping himself in the wake of the 'last' murder, he had been alive and well until he had died a relatively old man in 1903, I'm not sure how safe it is for anyone today to describe the quack doc as a 'very likely' suspect, let alone a 'prime' one.

Not only is this merely hypothetical, it is now irrelevant, since Littlechild clearly read Tumblety’s file and knew firsthand what CID was doing with Tumblety. This is something we will never have the opportunity to do.

Caz: It is fairly evident that Macnaghten's conjecture regarding Druitt had much to do with the fact and timing of his suicide, so the same could have been the case with Littlechild, except that while Druitt was 'said to be' a doctor but was nothing of the kind, Tumblety was 'believed to have' committed suicide but had done nothing of the kind.

Irrelevant, since you’re just plain wrong. Littlechild read the file.

Caz: If both policemen were ideally looking for a sexually depraved man with some medical experience who couldn't go on living after the bloodbath in Miller's Court, it appears they were not fully aware that their best bet suspects had failed to meet their own ripper criteria.

Why? Do you know who Jack the Ripper was? Sounds like you are absolutely confident he was sexually depraved, or that Scotland Yard ignored any suspect who was not sexually depraved. Sexual depravity had nothing to do with Francis Tumblety, and that’s not why he was a suspect in the eyes of Scotland Yard.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Hi Spiro !
                        Nick any good research material lately ?

Mike:

By all means, since you're not an unsupervised azzhole ( or an azzhole, period ) like Spiro...feel free to use thread material from the Forums.
                        Tsk,tsk...you still can't write for spit, Spiro.
                        Frankly, I almost fainted....seeing that you actually posted without trying to sell your book.
                        Last edited by Howard Brown; 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Mike Hawley
                          Since I just sent in my "remove my membership" email to the person in charge, I'll post responses on the Forums from now on.

Comment

Hi Spiro !
                            Nick any good research material lately ?
                            No Howard, I documented information above and beyond that found on the internet. I see nothing wrong with having made a contribution to the subject.

However, the uncredited appropriation of scanned documents from public digital archives for content on a site could well be regarded as 'nicking'.

Mike,

I think your point on Littlechild having read the dossier on Tumblety could be expanded to his having written the entries, though the files are not extant. Though it is known that Swanson and Anderson also made entries, Macnaghten, as Chief Constable was entrusted with maintaining them.

Hence, any CID noted interest in the Whitechapel murders, which is now known to have included a Special Branch investigation, was accessible to them. So I think your work on Anderson's American interest in Tumblety confirms police interest in him as a suspect, whether he was the killer or not.

After all, what is a murder mystery without suspects...

Thanks again for your interesting contribution to the subject.
                            Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

What Revere actually said remains mired in the mists of history, but he most assuredly did not say "The British are coming" since the troops, crown-appointed officials AND the colonists all considered themselves to be British at that time. Historian David Hackett Fisher's suggestion it was probably "The Regulars are out" has a sensible ring to it.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                              X