Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - by SuspectZero 3 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 10 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 11 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by barnflatwyngarde 11 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
There's more to this mystery than meets the eye. Someone wasn't telling the truth; that's for sure. But I'm buggered if I can work out who or why.

I'm going to give Jack a rest for a while. See you next time.

Happy hunting.
Yes, Simon, see you next time. Thanks for all your help.

As for hunting, "someone wasn't telling the truth"? I'm going for Matthews, and his quote about "personSS!" who assissted the murderer after the crime. First, this can't refer to a lookout; it could only refer to two or more lookouts! Second, I'm still not buying the abrupt U-turn. In light of the meetings and secrecy documented by Simon at the start of this thread, I'm saying Phillips found something that needed to remain a secret. But Matthews has to say something, so he goes back to insinuate the old standby. The Jews JTR lives with are covering his bloody ass. That's just what most would say.

There's more to this mystery than meets the eye. I concur, Simon

Yes, Natalie, what's in the pail? What if Phillips proves the body in the bed isn't pregnant, and Stewart was right that word on the street was that MJK was? Hope your computer gets well.

Tom, Tom Wescott, Tom_Wescott, I should have seen the Stewart thing.

Last edited by paul emmett : 05-21-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Cadet

Post this is what I know from George Bagster Philips

Dr George Bagster Phillips MBBS,MRCS Eng, Lic. Midwif., LSA (1834October 27, 1897), was, from 1865, the Police Surgeon for the Metropolitan Police's 'H' Division, which covered London's Whitechapel district. He came to prominence during the Whitechapel Murders of 1888-1891, when he conducted or attended autopsies on the bodies of four of the victims of Jack the Ripper, namely Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes and Mary Jane Kelly. He was called by the police to the murder scene of three of them, Chapman, Stride and Kelly.
Detective Chief Inspector Walter Dew, who was a detective constable in the Whitechapel CID throughout the Ripper investigation, and who knew Phillips well, remembered him as being in his fifties in 1888. "He was a character," Dew later wrote, " An elderly man, he was ultra old-fashioned both in his personal appearance and his dress. He used to look for all the world as though he had stepped out of a century-old painting. His manners were charming: he was immensely popular both with the police and the public, and he was highly skilled"[1]
Phillips lived at 2 Spital Square in Whitechapel.

Appointed a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1861,[1], Phillips is first mentioned in the British national press in The Times of 24th May 1866, when he attended on James Ashe, who had been cut with a knife and wounded by his brother-in-law, Patrick O'Donnell, a 20 year-old journeyman tailor.[2] Later, in 1870, Phillips was called to the Stepney police station concerning a case of child abuse, when he was asked to examine a 7 year-old girl and the man charged with her sexual assault. He diagnosed both as suffering from gonorrhea and also found that the young girl had a vaginal rupture, which Phillips said was an indication of "violence of some kind".[2]
The Times referred to Phillips again on the 6th March 1882 when Mary Ann Macarthy, aged 17 and living in a common lodging-house in Spitalfields, was charged on remand with feloniously cutting and wounding Henry Connor, by stabbing him with a knife. Again, Phillips dressed the wounds of the injured party

During the later Whitechapel Murders, Phillips performed the post-mortem examination of Alice McKenzie (nicknamed "Clay Pipe" Alice and who used the alias Alice Bryant), who was killed on 17th July 1889 in Castle Alley in Whitechapel. At the coroner's inquest on 22 July 1889, Phillips stated that the injuries to her throat had been caused by someone who "knew the position of the vessels, at any rate where to cut with reference to causing speedy death."[4] She had two jagged wounds in the left side of her neck. Phillips also found five superficial marks on the left side of McKenzie's abdomen, which had been made, he thought, by the pressure of a right thumb and fingers prior to mutilating her body with a knife that was held in the murderer's left hand.
Phillips was involved in investigating "The Pinchin Street Murder," a term coined after the headless and legless torso of a woman was found under a railway arch in Pinchin Street in Whitechapel on 10th September 1889. After examining the medical evidence Phillips, Commissioner James Monro and Chief Inspector Donald Swanson concluded that the murder was not committed by Jack the Ripper [5]
He also performed the autopsy on Frances Coles (also known as Frances Coleman, Frances Hawkins and nicknamed "Carrotty Nell"), born in 1865 and killed on 13th February 1891. He believed that the minor wounds on the back of her head suggested that she was thrown violently to the ground before her throat was cut three times. Otherwise there were no mutilations to the body. Phillips did not believe that her murderer displayed any medical knowledge. Cole's body was found under a railway arch in Swallow Gardens, Whitechapel.
His obituary in The Lancet on November 13th 1897 described Phillips as "a leading police surgeon in London". In it he was described by his assistant, Dr. Percy John Clark, as "a modest man who found self-advertising abhorrent... under a brusque, quick manner engendered by his busy life, there was a warm, kind heart, and a large number of men and women of all classes are feeling that by his death they have lost a very real friend".[6]
Dr George Bagster Phillips died from apoplexy on October 27 1897.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Commisioner

Hi Fortinbras,

Thanks for your post which has some real nuggets of information.

Regards,

Simon
Old 05-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Cadet

Default you are the mosy welcome

Simon Wood: you are welcome I'M glad to put my 2 cent in this topic
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Commisioner

Thanks for adding that, Fortinbras.

Simon,

So what thoughts are formulating in your head about Dr. Phillips?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Commisioner

Hi Tom,

What I have read suggests that Doctor Phillips knew more than he was willing/permitted to admit, but I have never thought he was duplicitous. I think he simply did his duty—whatever it might have involved. By his own admission he was not a "free agent".

Regards,

Simon
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
perrymason

Its interesting that while trying to ascertain how an accomplice might have assisted after the fact, no-one mentioned that Wideawake Hat could have been that man for Blotchy Face.

Mary Ann saw Blotchy, Sarah saw Wideawake, but nobody knows when Blotchy left. Wideawake might be the man Simon suggests.

Since were looking for an accomplice, a suspicious unknown person watching the location of a murder in progress, or soon to occur, seems to fit the bill.

And it happens when Mary might still be alive...as contrasted by Mrs Maxwells conversation with Mary the morning of the 9th.

Best regards.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Commisioner

Default Obituary

Hello all,

Additional snippet about George Bagster Phillips, M.R.C.S., L.M.Eng., L.S.A.Lond, an obituary in the BMJ, (British Medical Journal)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...407870/?page=1

best wishes

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....