Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Street (Martha Tabram's birthplace)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Street (Martha Tabram's birthplace)

Hello all,

Does anyone know where Marshall St (off London Road) was exactly?

Many thanks for any help.

Trevor.

Originally posted by tnb View Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone know where Marshall St (off London Road) was exactly?

Many thanks for any help.

Trevor.
    Hi Trevor

We appear to be talking about the area near the Elephant and Castle in South London. Specifically, St George's Fields in Southwark. London Road is still there which you probably already know. Not sure but possibly Marshall Street might have been swept away as I find older references to it but not recent ones. Good luck in your further enquiries, Trevor!

All the best

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Here it is. The Bethlehem Lunatic Asylum is now the Imperial War Museum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshall Street 1891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	659450

Rob

Comment

Chris,

It appears that Marshall Street became Marshall Gardens sometime before the 1940's so that might explain the lack of references to Marshall St since then. I thought I had cracked it when I found that out, but unfortunately there appear to be no further references to Marshall Gardens either!

It is/was indeed in South London, and may well in fact be buried under the monstrosity that is the Elephant and Castle shopping centre. I will let you know if I find any further info; I am currently working on an appendix to my documentary and accompanying book taking in sites south of the river and had hoped to include Martha's birthplace as it would have been pretty close to a few other sites, such as various addresses related to Catherine Eddowes' daughter, Annie, plus the Imperial War museum which takes in one of my other historical interests, the history of the 'Bethlem' hospitals. In fact, there is an awful lot of 'Ripper' stuff 'over the water' when you get started!

Thanks for the reply,

Trevor.

edit: Well done Rob! You posted that whilst I was replying to Chris, so both of you might as well probably disregard the above. Many thanks!
        Last edited by tnb; 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM. Reason: Blame Rob!

Comment

Thanks for the map, Rob.

Here's Marshall Street on the Booth 1898 map for Trevor's information

Name:	tabram marshall st.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	659451
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Just across the road on the St Georges Road and Hayles Street corner is the wonderful St Georges Buildings.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              Hi Stephen,

Just across the road on the St Georges Road and Hayles Street corner is the wonderful St Georges Buildings.

Rob
              I must admit that was the first thing I thought too! Have admired St George's Buildings on many an occasion and this now gives me the perfect excuse to include it.

Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                I hardly ever go South of the River, Rob. Do you have a photo?

The name George seems to have followed our Martha around.

All the best
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Sorry I don't Stephen. I did pull this off Google Earth though.

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	659452

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                    Chris,

It appears that Marshall Street became Marshall Gardens sometime before the 1940's so that might explain the lack of references to Marshall St since then. I thought I had cracked it when I found that out, but unfortunately there appear to be no further references to Marshall Gardens either!

It is/was indeed in South London, and may well in fact be buried under the monstrosity that is the Elephant and Castle shopping centre. I will let you know if I find any further info; I am currently working on an appendix to my documentary and accompanying book taking in sites south of the river and had hoped to include Martha's birthplace as it would have been pretty close to a few other sites, such as various addresses related to Catherine Eddowes' daughter, Annie, plus the Imperial War museum which takes in one of my other historical interests, the history of the 'Bethlem' hospitals. In fact, there is an awful lot of 'Ripper' stuff 'over the water' when you get started!

Thanks for the reply,

Trevor.

edit: Well done Rob! You posted that whilst I was replying to Chris, so both of you might as well probably disregard the above. Many thanks!
                    Thanks, Trevor. Colin Roberts, who says he no longer posts here, has posted some of his useful maps at JtR Forums showing the location of Marshall Street. Higher resolution images of the same are on his Flickr site.

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                      Thanks, Trevor. Colin Roberts, who says he no longer posts here, has posted some of his useful maps at JtR Forums showing the location of Marshall Street. Higher resolution images of the same are on his Flickr site.

Chris
                      Thanks Chris - I have just popped across to 'the other side' and left Colin a message thanking him for answering my question, albeit in a way by proxy!

This really is very useful to me, so thankyou to all of you.

Comment

Working...
                      X