No announcement yet.

Jack's housing arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, guys. I'm a bit surprised that so many believe Jack took human organs primarily because he wanted to eat them... I'm quite sure it was for Deviant Sexual purposes. Maybe he did once attempt to fry up a bit of Kidney, but then again, maybe he just want to up the shock factor by claiming to do so. I doubt we'll ever really know.

As regards the other organs, the female Uterus is generally considered to be the strongest muscle in the human body, which is why it can go from the size of a Pear to that of a Watermelon in 9 months, deliver a happy 10-lb. Baby, and then go back to Pear size. It's exceptionally "tough" and "rubbery", and I doubt there's any way to cook it which would render it even remotely palatable. So even if Jack had a nice electric crock-pot & a good BBQ recipe, eating a Uterus seems doubtful.

I hate to think about what Jack REALLY did with it, because it makes me feel ill, but if you take a moment to recall what Edmund Kemper & Ed Gein & others did with their "trophies"- such as having sexual relations with severed body parts and creating loathsome "personal wearing apparel"- I think that's closer to the mark.

And I agree with those who contend that these delightful pastimes would require privacy.
    (By the way, I just decided to skip my lunch today. Bye.)

Comment

Hello Archiac.

If Jack did eat body parts, it was probably for deviant sexual gratification, not because he liked the taste. Jeffery Dahlmer did this, and I think Gein is believed to have done so also. In any case the modern psychological view is that he was getting some sort of sexual gratification from the whole process, but of course we don't know exactly how.

Comment

Hi, Christine; thanks for the reply. I agree it's possible, but I still feel that if Jack wanted to experiment in Cannibalism he was unlikely to do so with a diseased Whitechapel Prostitute.

We know that at least a couple them had Venereal Disease, and a man of that time would have known that Syphilis & all manner of diseases was to be expected in an older 2-Penny Unfortunate... so don't you think he'd be quite unlikely to wish to eat their female sexual organs?? (Ditto for the piece of bladder.)

I suppose it depends to some extent on how overtly "crazy" he was. I think he was a little more careful than that, which is also why he managed to leave the crime scenes without being covered in blood.

But he took Mary's heart, so who knows?

Comment

What Jack did with his trophies is a complete mystery.
          Especially if he was a poor dosser.
          One of my baseless guesses is that he threw them to stray dogs.
          Apologies to those who have their dinner now.

Amitiés,
          David
          Last edited by DVV; 05-02-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Hello

Housing arrangements by status, if a local man :

Married with kids and regular work - rented room, maybe two rooms

Married and regular work - rented room

Married no regular work - Lodging House

Single with regular work - rented room

Single no regular work - Lodging House

Single/ Married and no work - Casual Ward or sleeping rough - due to harassment by the patrolling policeman during the night it was easier for a homeless person to sleep at day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
              Hello

Housing arrangements by status, if a local man :

Married with kids and regular work - rented room, maybe two rooms

Married and regular work - rented room

Married no regular work - Lodging House

Single with regular work - rented room

Single no regular work - Lodging House

Single/ Married and no work - Casual Ward or sleeping rough - due to harassment by the patrolling policeman during the night it was easier for a homeless person to sleep at day.
              Well, any of the above could have lived with a family member, as this was common, especially among immigrants, so they would fall into Married and regular work, sort of by proxy. And of course there were occasional exceptions that could afford better.

Comment

Was allowed to crash at 254 Whitechapel Road until the heat became too much? Eventually arrested because he wouldn't leave when he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Jack could have had a place to call "home" after all...

"One room in the Peabody buildings is never let to two persons." (J. Ewing Ritchie, Days and Nights in London, 1880).

Single rooms were let out at 2s 6d per week in the 1880s. Families paid 5s per week for three rooms. Communal washing facilities and lavatories were located on the landings outside the rooms on each floor.

Peabody Buildings' house rules:

1. No applicants for rooms will be entertained unless every member of the applicant's family has been vaccinated or agrees to comply with the Vaccination Act;

2. The rents will be paid weekly in advance at the superintendent's office, on Monday, from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.;

3. No arrears of rent will be allowed;

4. The passages, steps, closets, and lavatory windows must be washed every Saturday and swept every morning before 10 o'clock. This must be done by tenants in turn;

5. Washing must be done only in the laundry. Tenants will not be permitted to use the laundries for the washing of any clothes but their own. No clothes shall be hung out;

6. No carpets, mats, etc., can be permitted to be beaten or shaken after 10 o'clock in the morning. Refuse must not be thrown out of the doors or windows;

7. Tenants must pay all costs for the repairs, etc., of all windows, keys, grates and boilers broken or damaged in their rooms;

8. Children will not be allowed to play on the stairs, in the passages, or in the laundries;

9. Dogs must not be kept on the premises;

10. Tenants cannot be allowed to paper, paint or drive nails into the walls;

11. No tenant will be permitted to under-let or take in lodgers or to keep a shop of any kind;

12. The acceptance of any gratuity by the superintendent or porters from tenants or applicants for rooms will lead to their immediate dismissal;

13. Disordlerly or intemperate tenants will receive immediate notice to quit;

14. The gas will be turned off at 11 p.m. and the outer doors closed for the night, but each tenant will be provided with a key to admit him in at all hours [my emphasis];

15. Tenants are required to report to the superintendent any births, deaths, or infectious diseases occurring in their rooms. Any tenant not complying with this rule will receive notice to quit.

(Info from The Eternal Slum: Housing & Social Policy in Victorian London, Anthony S. Wohl, 2006.)

I posted this info on another thread relating to a specific suspect, but perhaps it needs to be lifted up a level to a more generic discussion about the sort of home in which Jack could have lived.

Some say he couldn't have afforded a room of his own - well, at 2 shillings and sixpence per week, for a single room (with key!) the Peabody Trust shows that he could. Some think he might have lived in a doss-house, others don't - or, that if he did, he'd have needed a "bolt-hole". Would he have had a family, or would they have got in the way...? And so on.

Ideas and comments on this general theme are quite welcome.
                  Hi,

An hypothesis. Two places. King William Street near the Strand and an adress in Whitechapel. (The red circle is not relevant).

Regards, Pierre
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                    Hi,

An hypothesis. Two places. King William Street near the Strand and an adress in Whitechapel. (The red circle is not relevant).

Regards, Pierre
                    Hi Pierre,

Nice map, by the way, 1868 map of London? With a red circle for the location of 2 Harvey's Buildings?

Anyway, why is King William Street important for your suspect? You think he was living at Charing Cross Hospital or are you re-wording a ripper hoax letter that stated his address was on Prince William street?

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                      Hi Pierre,

Nice map, by the way, 1868 map of London? With a red circle for the location of 2 Harvey's Buildings?

Anyway, why is King William Street important for your suspect? You think he was living at Charing Cross Hospital or are you re-wording a ripper hoax letter that stated his address was on Prince William street?
                      Hi Jerry,

I was about to ask the same about the hospital, it took up most of the street before it moved in the 2nd half of last century. great buildings still standing

Steve

Comment

Hi,

Regards, Pierre
                        Pierre

just asking because it can be easy to make mistakes,

you definitely mean that king William street and are not confusing it with the one in the city itself.

cheers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          Pierre

just asking because it can be easy to make mistakes,

you definitely mean that king William street and are not confusing it with the one in the city itself.

cheers

Steve
                          Hi Steve,

This is the one.

It is near to the place where John Arnold lived and where he met the police officer who warned him about the murder in Backchurch Lane.

It is not far from the Royal Courts of Justice.

Regards, Pierre
                          Last edited by Pierre; 06-09-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

This is the one.

It is near to the place where John Arnold lived and where he met the police officer who warned him about the murder in Backchurch Lane.

It is not far from the Royal Courts of Justice.

Regards, Pierre
                            Pierre

i know, i worked in that area for 25 years. just wanted to be sure

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                              Pierre

i know, i worked in that area for 25 years. just wanted to be sure

Steve
                              Yes, I see.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Hi,
                                I have a hunch he lived the other side of Mitre square, and he was on his way there when he encountered Eddowes, and possibly headed that way after killing Kelly, [ the man seen hurrying through the square bloodstained around 10.10am the morning of the 9th Nov.
                                Regards Richard,

Comment

Working...
                                X