Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon,

The joke is that the police conspiracy has taken over many threads and is becoming THE answer to a few vociferous folks who have seemed to conspire in covering up real possibilities by burying everything under a cloud of conspiracy. It seems to me to be the same kind of answer that some (only some) people of faith have when asked a question about the Bible. It just is true in their minds, and relevant counter arguments are irrelevant because faith is the opposite of reason.

Cheers,

Mike

PS. It doesn't mean there wasn't a conspiracy,
    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Thanks Caz
      Thats what I thought.

Whats your opinion on my previous questions:

Once again, if the letter was a hoax- would not the whole purpose be to gain max exposure for the CNA and hence-Get the letter to the police ASAP?!?

If the letter is a hoax why hold it back? Anything could happen in the time they hold back the letter that could ruin the whole plan-including getting scooped by a rival or other reporter or even the killer himself?
      Once again, if the letter was a hoax- would not the whole purpose be to gain max exposure for the CNA and hence-Get the letter to the police ASAP?!?

If the letter is a hoax why hold it back? Anything could happen in the time they hold back the letter that could ruin the whole plan-including getting scooped by a rival or other reporter or even the killer himself?[/QUOTE]

Anyone want to take a shot at this? i have yet to see any reasonable explanation.

Comment

Hi Abby,

There's a lot about "Dear Boss" and its companion postcard that makes absolutely no sense.

For instance, in 1913 Littlechild wrote to George R. Sims, "With regard to the term 'Jack the Ripper' it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen of the Central News was the originator, but it is probable Moore, who was his chief, was the inventor. It was a smart piece of journalistic work."

He next wrote, "Mr James Monro when Assistant Commissioner, and afterwards Commissioner, relied on his integrity."

Where's the journalistic integrity in perpetrating a hoax?

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Abby,

There's a lot about "Dear Boss" and its companion postcard that makes absolutely no sense.

For instance, in 1913 Littlechild wrote to George R. Sims, "With regard to the term 'Jack the Ripper' it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen of the Central News was the originator, but it is probable Moore, who was his chief, was the inventor. It was a smart piece of journalistic work."

He next wrote, "Mr James Monro when Assistant Commissioner, and afterwards Commissioner, relied on his integrity."

Regards,

Simon
          Hi Simon

Exactly-great point!!

BTW-I have aquestion for you on the "modern day BS man..." thread.

Comment

If the letter is a hoax why hold it back? Anything could happen in the time they hold back the letter that could ruin the whole plan-including getting scooped by a rival or other reporter or even the killer himself?
            Hi Abby,

I don't know.

Will that do you?

As I thought my posts indicated, I too don't think the various hoax theories make a lot of sense when you examine in detail the timing and circumstances of Dear Boss.

But there's no going back for those who have become convinced that an enterprising journalist was indeed responsible.

I'll say he was enterprising. A century before serial murder was ingrained in the public's consciousness, and after a couple of what some people insist were typical, run-of-the-mill knife attacks (Tabram and Nichols) followed by just one ripping involving organ removal (Chapman), he predicts that a killer, who is 'down on whores', will not quit ripping, loves his work and wants to 'get to work right away' if he gets the chance, and is even thinking of clipping the next one's ears off - an unprecedented venture into above the neck mutilation.

And these words are meant to have winged their way to the police just hours before a second woman is found ripped, with two organs removed this time plus extensive above the neck mutilation, including a sliced through ear - without either the enterprising author knowing anything of the kind was about to happen, or was even remotely likely to happen, and without the killer knowing that anyone had written a letter on his behalf, let alone that it contained a decent stab at guessing the game plan.

Conspiracy theories to explain problems that are not problems at all can wait - there's a real and pressing problem right here, with the timing of this letter, if the author and the Mitre Square killer were unknown to each other and completely unaware of each other's actions.

But few want to tackle it.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Caz
              Conspiracy theories to explain problems that are not problems at all can wait - there's a real and pressing problem right here, with the timing of this letter, if the author and the Mitre Square killer were unknown to each other and completely unaware of each other's actions.
              Regarding timing, I noticed and remarked some time back that the Dear Boss author was obviously waiting until the Chapman inquest concluded to see what had been learned, which explains the post script. Likewise, the Ripper was waiting until the inquest ended to see what the police knew. For different reasons, both men where waiting for the inquest to end to make their move. That's not to say it wasn't the same man, but there's nothing in the letter that tells us the letter had to have been written by the killer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi All,

Doctor! Doctor! What's wrong with me? I'm in agreement with Tom Wescott.

Happily, my doctor told me it was merely a panic attack and would soon pass.

But all joking aside, Tom makes a good point. The position and orientation of the Dear Boss postscript suggests it was added once the letter had been folded and after the summing up of the Chapman inquest on 26th September at which Wynne Baxter said that, "His anatomical skill carries him out of the category of a common criminal, for his knowledge could only have been obtained by assisting at post-mortems, or by frequenting the post-mortem room."

"They say I'm a doctor now. ha ha."

While hardly smoking gun [or dripping knife] evidence, it's nevertheless an interesting insight.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Hi Abby,

I don't know.

Will that do you?

As I thought my posts indicated, I too don't think the various hoax theories make a lot of sense when you examine in detail the timing and circumstances of Dear Boss.

But there's no going back for those who have become convinced that an enterprising journalist was indeed responsible.

I'll say he was enterprising. A century before serial murder was ingrained in the public's consciousness, and after a couple of what some people insist were typical, run-of-the-mill knife attacks (Tabram and Nichols) followed by just one ripping involving organ removal (Chapman), he predicts that a killer, who is 'down on whores', will not quit ripping, loves his work and wants to 'get to work right away' if he gets the chance, and is even thinking of clipping the next one's ears off - an unprecedented venture into above the neck mutilation.

And these words are meant to have winged their way to the police just hours before a second woman is found ripped, with two organs removed this time plus extensive above the neck mutilation, including a sliced through ear - without either the enterprising author knowing anything of the kind was about to happen, or was even remotely likely to happen, and without the killer knowing that anyone had written a letter on his behalf, let alone that it contained a decent stab at guessing the game plan.

But few want to tackle it.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Hi Caz
                  Thanks for the response and I agree. Along with the things you mention and the amazing "coincidences" I just can't figure out why if the CNA originated the hoax for drumming up business, why they did not send the letter to the police immediately after receiving it. And as Simon pointed out-if the police then came to view the letter as a hoax from CNA/Moore then how could they also "rely on his integrity"? It seems to me that since they did not catch the killer, they eventually wanted to downplay the letters that mocked that failure.

Also, the taunting, mocking and joking tone of the letter is similar to later serial killers letters, is it not? The zodiac and BTK letters seem to have similar tone I think. How in the early history of serial killers (and the letters they write) would someone who was hoaxing a letter know thats how they would do it? Another coincidence?

I just see too much of people blowing these letters off as though its been established they are fake on these boards and elsewhere. To me, logically thinking of all that we know, its 50/50 at worst.

Comment

To all who think/probably think the letter is a hoax from the CNA-I ask again. Why wait several days to send the letter to the police?

i have yet to hear a reasonable explanation.

Comment

To all who think/probably think the letter is a hoax from the CNA-I ask again. Why wait several days to send the letter to the police?
                      Hi Abby,

A question that would perhaps produce more response would be: why would the writer even order to keep the letter back? What might be the advantage to him of having the letter known to the CNA, but unpublicised until the next victim was found killed & mutilated?

Other than that he probably just liked to manipulate people or play tricks on them, I can't think of anything. Unless the writer was a hoaxer (but not an employee at CNA). Because, if no other woman was found killed & mutilated, then his letter would have been regarded as a hoax and therefore not likely be published. And that would have been the end of it (no harm done). On the other hand, if another body would turn up, the writer could be quite sure that his letter would likely be regarded as genuine and, subsequently, that the letter and the tradesname he invented would get maximum exposure.

All the best,
                      Frank
                      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by Frank van Oploo View Post
                        Hi Abby,

A question that would perhaps produce more response would be: why would the writer even order to keep the letter back? What might be the advantage to him of having the letter known to the CNA, but unpublicised until the next victim was found killed & mutilated?

Other than that he probably just liked to manipulate people or play tricks on them, I can't think of anything. Unless the writer was a hoaxer (but not an employee at CNA). Because, if no other woman was found killed & mutilated, then his letter would have been regarded as a hoax and therefore not likely be published. And that would have been the end of it (no harm done). On the other hand, if another body would turn up, the writer could be quite sure that his letter would likely be regarded as genuine and, subsequently, that the letter and the tradesname he invented would get maximum exposure.

All the best,
                        Frank
                        Hi Frank

why would the writer even order to keep the letter back? What might be the advantage to him of having the letter known to the CNA, but unpublicised until the next victim was found killed & mutilated?

Great question also. Perhaps several reasons:
                        1. Was afraid if they sent the letter out straight, it would stir things up and make it harder for him to get his next victim.
                        2. wanted to prove to them that he was the killer by fullfilling the promise of the letter so they were sure he was the killer(and maybe not to worried about getting the fame right away, because he knew after he killed again he would). His thinking along these lines-
                        "No need to send out right away if you think this is a hoax, because i will kill again soon to prove it-no worries". A cocky, cavalier attitude about it-if you will.
                        3. As you say maybe liked to manipulate people (and was good at it) and wanted to see if they followed his request or not.

Comment

[I] ususally just read, but a few thoughts have come to mind:

If the Dear Boss letter is a hoax, and I think it is, the hoaxer could put anything into the letter and not be held accountable becasue, after all, the letter is supposedly written by a deranged killer.

If the details of the letter do not come to pass, so what? Nobody knows who "Jack" is and it wouldn't be unusual for a deranged killer to lie or change his mind about who, how, when, or how many he kills. And who would hold "Jack" accountible for his untruths/inaccuracies anyway?

Faking a post mark doesn't seem like a big stretch considering the length some hoaxers have gone to . . .

We've seen enough proven and probable Ripper hoaxes, some of them less clever than others, to know there are lots of people who have tried to "get invovled" in the Ripper "game" for all types of logical and uillogical reasons. It is far more likely any particular and probably all of the Ripper letters are hoaxes than the likelihood they were written by the Ripper.

It is most likely, although not provable beyond whatever doubts some will clling to, the letter was written AFTER the double event or the hoaxer made a very lucky guess, the postmark was faked, the letter a hoax, and therefore the whole mess is not of major importance.

However, even if the Dear Boss letter is NOT a fake - so what? It's pretty much a dead end that does little to solve any questions about the "Ripper" murders.

Comment

Also I don't know if it means anything but-

The Dear Boss letter was written after the killer possibly committed his first murder to his complete satisfaction-i.e. mutilation and organ removal.
                            "grand work" indeed?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal
                              "grand work" indeed?
                              Yep. Or 'Tumblety work', or 'Kosminski work', some would say. But who are we to argue with the 'Dear Boss' letter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                                Yep. Or 'Tumblety work', or 'Kosminski work', some would say. But who are we to argue with the 'Dear Boss' letter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                HAHA
                                I actually thought that might draw out a reponse from you!!

Comment

Working...
                                X