This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice photos Andrew...

In that shot of the Dutfield's Yard site, it almost seems like there is some remnant of an old wall there..? Or am I crazy? I am mainly thinking of that low brick wall with the red metal fence on top of it...

Rob H

Comment

• Rob,

I see what you mean, but I would have expected the whole site to have been cleared before they built the school, any remnant of old wall would have got in the way of the builders I expect.

Perhaps someone else could confirm if the location of the back wall coincides with any of the structures around Dutfields Yard pre 1909?

All the best

Andrew

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Once again, many thanks to everyone for their kind comments about the pictures I've posted. Just a few more from my collection......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Board School from ELL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	656263
        The board school as seen from the East London line platforms at Whitechapel station.

Name:	back of 1 Mitre Sq.jpg
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	656264
        Round the back of number 1 Mitre Square.

Name:	Castle Alley Washhouses copy.jpg
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	656265
        A close up of the wash house on Old Castle Street

Name:	George Yard 2006 copy.jpg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	656266
        A view of Gunthorpe Street from a couple of years ago, before the new building was constructed on the left side of the street.

Name:	whites row window.jpg
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	656267
        A window on Whites Row, with our favourite multi storey car park reflected within.

Andrew

Comment

• Just a quick heads-up regarding Google Earth. The "street view" option is now live for a number of cities in the UK, including of course London. For those unable to get to London to have a wander round the East End, this second best to being there. Full 360 degree panoramas of street locations to pan around in, and zoom in on bits that take your fancy.

Only main roads such as Commercial Street are featured, so places like Mitre Square aren't covered, but still, it's well worth a look.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
            Just a quick heads-up regarding Google Earth. The "street view" option is now live for a number of cities in the UK, including of course London. For those unable to get to London to have a wander round the East End, this second best to being there. Full 360 degree panoramas of street locations to pan around in, and zoom in on bits that take your fancy.

Only main roads such as Commercial Street are featured, so places like Mitre Square aren't covered, but still, it's well worth a look.

Cheers

Andrew
            Hi Andrew just spent the afternoon checking out streetview ! Its pretty good well worthwhile checking out if just to get bearings around the area.A lot of the crime scene roads are there Hanbury, Henriques , Durward . Havent had time to check Dorset yet but Ill take your word Mitre Sq isnt featured . By the way no need to download google earth you can access via google maps see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7952317.stm for link fom bbc news story .

Comment

• Originally posted by Philbee View Post
              By the way no need to download google earth you can access via google maps see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7952317.stm for link fom bbc news story .
              You can just go to Google.com -- click on maps -- enter the street address, then click on street view.

Bulldog

Comment

• Just went n had me a look down the ex Dorset St. Course you cant get down there as it's not a public road, but even so, it's kinda creepy to be able to "walk" to the end of the road and look down there. Totally different experience to just seeing a still picture, however good said picture is!

Comment

• Andrew,
                  I dont know if they have updated it since you checked it out but i was just flying around and found that Mitre square is in fact labeled, there is even a special note showing where Catherines body was found.
                  'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

• I just drove from Mile End to Whitechapel along Whitechapel High Street and took in the Royal London Hospital. I tried posting links to the pictures, but it didn't work.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Hey guys- Go to Google-- Maps-- then type in Mitre Square or whatever--click on street view and you can take a stroll around zooming in and out in a very satisfactory way as you go!

Suz x

FABULOUS pics Andrew BTW !
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by smezenen View Post
                        Andrew,
                        I dont know if they have updated it since you checked it out but i was just flying around and found that Mitre square is in fact labeled, there is even a special note showing where Catherines body was found.
                        That sounds like the normal features of Google Earth that we've had for a few years now. What I was referring to was the 360 degree "Street View". Google's camera cars have covered Duke Street and Aldgate, so you can get near to Mitre Square, but there's no panoramic view taken within the square itself, in the same way that there's no view taken in the former Dorset Street. Quite simply, the sinister looking camera car didn't drive into the square itself to photograph it, and so we can't view it now in Street View.

Regards

Andrew

Comment

• Many thanks for the photos Andrew.
                          Can anyone tell me why Duval St has been closed to the public? Is it likely to be permanent?

Comment

• The reasons behind the closure of Duval / Dorset Street were covered by Philip Hutchinson in the East End Watch thread here:

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Regards

Andrew

Comment

• Andrew,

Those are very nice photos. I love the one with the window, White's Row. Actually, all of them are quite nice.

Best wishes,

Cel
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• It begs the question, Andrew. Are you any relation to Francis Firth?

Roy
                                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                                X