Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - by MrBarnett 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - by MrBarnett 8 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (16 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Help me find the source of this story - (2 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (1 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Periodicals

Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Superintendent

The Whitechapel Society Journal is still on. I don't know how many people subscribe to Ripperana, which is starkly British-oriented. Examiner's quite dead, though who knows if it might get resuscitated one day.
I see The New Independent Review as an alternative to Ripper Notes and Examiner, though only in content and form (NOT in the politics, please!). Judging by the editor, The New Independent Review can only turn out into a great mag, versatile and with a rich content.
Let's hope that it stays on for a while in this terrible economy... (And by the way, it appears that there'll be subscribtions.)
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariab View Post
I don't know how many people subscribe to Ripperana, which is starkly British-oriented.
Hello Maria,

Whilst the editor and founder who is one and the same, is a Brit, I am of the impression that it is a world-wide publication, actually, with many contributions from overseas. Perhaps you know more than I do? I have received Ripperana since around issue 16.

kindly

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Hyde View Post
Trevor,

I'm a young dumb thing with plenty of ideas (often very loopy yes but still I have some), a ragging passion for the case and a will to dig it even more than it as already been done if possible. and when I discovered the "ripperologists" community and sites like casebook, I did think this way. I only needed to a couple of months (now i'm using a euphemism) to notice that ANY new information, every new find, every new opinion always has to become a point of pointless arguments, sour reflections and never-ending kindergarten quarrels, and, surprisingly deceitfull behaviours (sometimes even backstabbings), sometimes undeserved insults or lynching, and so on.... sometimes it's almost like ripperology has it's own "as the world turns" serie... so I understand your view on the matter, I understand that you would love everyone working hand in hand, everyone publishing their researches for others, but you can't bash people for not wanting their work to turn into another "eyes out-scratching" row matter, because just like you they probably invested a lot personally and financially for all this. I have to say, the "benefit" of all ripperologists is often cut to size by the ripperologists themselves. Thus why share?
Shouldnt the aim be for everyone to work together for a common purpose and not all separate agendas.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Shouldnt the aim be for everyone to work together for a common purpose and not all separate agendas.
Yes Trevor, it SHOULD be, you're absolutely right there. but since some people can't prevent themselves from behaving like arses, then it's not strange that the people who would have some find to share or discuss start to keep the fruit of their sweat and headaches for themselves.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Sergeant

Chris,

in hibernation (or whatever the summer equivalent is).

The word you want is aestivation.

Don.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Hyde View Post
Yes Trevor, it SHOULD be, you're absolutely right there. but since some people can't prevent themselves from behaving like arses, then it's not strange that the people who would have some find to share or discuss start to keep the fruit of their sweat and headaches for themselves.
I would suggest that obtaining and retaining copies of The Aberconway version and a forensic report would not have caused a lot of sweat and headaches.

But they have made their choice and every opportuity has been afforded to them to go public with these documents.

To be honest I couldnt now care less whether they release them or not. It is acadademic now.

I can say that in my research over the past 12 months I have been sweating and suffered many headaches but with the little gems I have unearthed every drop of sweat lost and for every paraceatamol tablet I took was worth it.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Commisioner

Woe is me Trevor.

The document is not yours, ergo you have no say in the matter.

The forensic report would have cost, a lot, are you willing to stump up the fees? (A question I asked a while ago)

It seems to me co-operation is all well and good, until it flies in the face of ones pet theory or suspect.

Sister is extremely astute in her observations.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Woe is me Trevor.

The document is not yours, ergo you have no say in the matter.

The forensic report would have cost, a lot, are you willing to stump up the fees? (A question I asked a while ago)

It seems to me co-operation all well and good, until it flies in the face of ones pet theory or suspect.

Sister is extremely astute in her observations.

Monty
I should remind you that the Met Police commissioned the forensic handwriting test so its me as a public citizen that indirectly contributed to it.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain your comments in Para 3. ?

You are right sister is very astute she is by reason of her answers running with the hares and hunting with the hounds.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Commisioner

Hello Trevor,

Am I correct in thinking that the point of the tests in the first place, if not to establish a point, was to establish a clarification that we could all peruse, or was it meant as a purely private claification whose information was specically designed to be kept secret??

As far as I understand it, the Met Police authorised it no? The museum were looking for authentication, were they not? And the Met Police museum is open to all invited, be they ex policemen or nay.. so if they present something to the public (an ex-policeman is a member of the public), then why is it wrong for another member of the public (in your case, also an ex-policeman) to ask to see the document that clarifies to any degree any authentication?

The matter has now been compounded by the apparent mysterious loss of the original report from the Crime Museum itself, so I understand? Did you not try to get a copy from the Met Police Trevor, and they themselves refused this request also?

In which case, I am at a total loss to understand what the problem could possibly be. Therefore, why is it so difficult for those who actually have copies to publish them for the god of the genre and the public interest?

As far as the issue concerning the Aberconway version of the MM and Mr McLaren, the current owner, I too would be interested in knowing what the problem is if the current owner has given permission for it to be published on the world wide web. If that is his wish... then would someone kindly tell me why it cannot be done?
For the general availability of those interested in the genre, I mean. Nothing else.

kindly

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....

Last edited by Phil Carter : 08-16-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Sergeant

It would seem that this thread has become bogged down in folks pursuing personal King Charles' heads that have nothing to do with a new magazine.

However, since the cat is out of the bag about the New Independent Review, let me say a few words. Perhaps the most important word in the title is Independent. We are not affiliated with any forum or organization and don't intend to be. Moreover, we are not in competition with anyone. Rather, we see our mission as providing an opportunity for writers, new and old, to have their ideas published in a reader friendly format. Plus, to be honest, I actually enjoy editing, formatting, encouraging new writers and re-energizing veteran ones.

NIR should be appearing in less than a month so watch this space for more news. In the meantime, inquiries, comments and contributions should be directed to: newindyreview@aol.com

Thank you for your interest.

Don Souden.