No announcement yet.

Apron placement as intimidation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of God, man. How many damn times do I have to say that I am not dismissing their opinion? Opinions are not facts. They are opinions. They may or may not be correct. That is all I am saying.

Let's try it another way. Apparently it was the opinion of the police at the time that Hutchinson was not involved in any way in the death of Mary Kelly. Now because they were there at the time and we were not and they are expressing an OPINION does it mean that were absolutely correct with 100% metaphysical certainty?

Sorry, but I can't keep having this conversation with you.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Yes we would expect the residents to see it, during daylight as it was written in the entrance of the doorway.
      Maybe you are looking at this from your own perspective.

How many of these Jews could even read English?
      How many of these Jews had been subject to abuse for most of their adult lives, clearly, scribble on the walls is not going to be flattery, so why bother reading it?
      Many European Jews had been subject to much worse than abusive scribble. I can't see why they would be interested in what it said, even if they bothered to try read it. Remember, we are told the largest letters were 3/4" tall, and those were the capital letters.
      I don't think they would be interested even if they managed to notice it.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        For the love of God, man. How many damn times do I have to say that I am not dismissing their opinion? Opinions are not facts. They are opinions. They may or may not be correct. That is all I am saying.

Let's try it another way. Apparently it was the opinion of the police at the time that Hutchinson was not involved in any way in the death of Mary Kelly. Now because they were there at the time and we were not and they are expressing an OPINION does it mean that were absolutely correct with 100% metaphysical certainty?

Sorry, but I can't keep having this conversation with you.

c.d.
        I understand that. All I’m saying is you should give their opinion some respect, whether you agree with a particular opinion or not.

Regarding hutch. He’s one of my favored suspects as you may well know. There, and specifically Abberlines opinion that he was not involved in the murder, because I respect their opinion, is check mark against hutch viability as a suspect in my opinion, evnthough I think they were probably ultimately wrong.

Maybe were just semantically confused with each other.
        I’ll drop it.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Maybe you are looking at this from your own perspective.

How many of these Jews could even read English?
          How many of these Jews had been subject to abuse for most of their adult lives, clearly, scribble on the walls is not going to be flattery, so why bother reading it?
          Many European Jews had been subject to much worse than abusive scribble. I can't see why they would be interested in what it said, even if they bothered to try read it. Remember, we are told the largest letters were 3/4" tall, and those were the capital letters.
          I don't think they would be interested even if they managed to notice it.
          That’s fine wick. I see your point, I just think they would be. No big whoop.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• When all is said and done, it is interesting that we have no press interviews with any residents as to whether the graffiti was new or old.
            Last edited by Wickerman; 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              When all is said and done, it is interesting that we have no press interviews with any residents as to whether the graffiti was new or old.
              There don't seem to be any surviving police memos to that effect either, not even in Warren's somewhat detailed report about the graffito and his actions in respect of it. Perhaps, given their haste to get rid of this potentially offensive message, they didn't think of asking?
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Perhaps, given their haste to get rid of this potentially offensive message, they didn't think of asking?
                Yes, from the surviving records I do wonder if the subject was actually broached. We really only have this inquest statement from Halse:

When Detective Hunt returned inquiry was made at every door of every tenement of the model dwelling-house, but we gained no tidings of any one who was likely to have been the murderer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                  We really only have this inquest statement from Halse:

When Detective Hunt returned inquiry was made at every door of every tenement of the model dwelling-house, but we gained no tidings of any one who was likely to have been the murderer.
                  Indeed, which suggests that they were (rightly) focusing on the killer, rather than the graffito.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Indeed, which suggests that they were (rightly) focusing on the killer, rather than the graffito.
                    Absolutely, Sam.
                    Even the Coroner with his questioning at the inquest was more concerned about whether the police guarded the entrances to the building after the rag was found.

Comment

• At the inquest - Mr. Crawford - Why do you say that it seemed to have been recently written? DC Halse - It looked fresh, and if it had been done long before it would have been rubbed out by the people passing.
                      If he knew it had been recently written, IE - Asked around the tenement had anybody seen the graffiti before, and if not, this was a perfect opportunity for him to say so. DC Halse is just voicing his own opinion [rightly or wrongly] that it looked fresh, and he is just assuming [again rightly or wrongly] one of the residents would have rubbed it out, if seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
                        At the inquest - Mr. Crawford - Why do you say that it seemed to have been recently written? DC Halse - It looked fresh, and if it had been done long before it would have been rubbed out by the people passing.
                        If he knew it had been recently written, IE - Asked around the tenement had anybody seen the graffiti before, and if not, this was a perfect opportunity for him to say so. DC Halse is just voicing his own opinion [rightly or wrongly] that it looked fresh, and he is just assuming [again rightly or wrongly] one of the residents would have rubbed it out, if seen.
                        Hi Darryl
                        Thanks for this. I agree. I think it would have been rubbed out if one of the residents saw it. or maybe inadvertently as they brushed up against it.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Unless Wentworth Model Dwellings was home to several swaying drunks, or people with severely impaired balance and coordination, I fail to see how the message could have been easily rubbed up against. People don't tend to collide with the wall when they enter a doorway.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Unless Wentworth Model Dwellings was home to several swaying drunks, or people with severely impaired balance and coordination, I fail to see how the message could have been easily rubbed up against. People don't tend to collide with the wall when they enter a doorway.
                            Didn’t someone at the time mention , one of the police at the time, mention that they thought it would have been inadvertently rubbed off by people brushing past it.

Or maybe they were referring to the sheet or tarp that they were considering covering it until a photographer got there.

I can’t remember.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Didn’t someone at the time mention , one of the police at the time, mention that they thought it would have been inadvertently rubbed off by people brushing past it.
                              It was indeed, Abby, but I was always baffled by the suggestion that the writing could have been rubbed in that manner. More than one person would have had to bump into the bricks where the graffito happened to be, and/or drag their arms along the wall as they entered from the street. Nobody was going to accidentally erase - or even smudge - the graffito in that way, unless they had serious inner-ear or alcohol problems
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Assuming for the sake of argument that the message was anti-semitic, I find it interesting that while no one seems to have a problem with a Jewish resident of the building rubbing it out (based on the idea that no one really likes being insulted), some people seem to be unwilling to accept that the message could be pro-Jewish in nature. If there was anti-semitic graffiti in the neighborhood (and that appears to be the case), and again assuming that no group likes to be insulted, why is it then unreasonable to assume that a Jewish person would respond with a message basically meaning Jews are tired of being blamed for things they did not do?

I have to wonder how much of the message interpretation is based on it being found next to the apron. While the message is probably anti-semitic, based on the above reasoning a pro-Jewish interpretation does not seem unreasonable (to me anyway).

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X