The handwriting of the letters compared with suspects handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The handwriting of the letters compared with suspects handwriting

I couldn't find any answers to this question so I hope I'm not starting a thread which already exists.
    Has anyone compared the handwriting from the letters with the handwriting of any of the suspects? I've seen many many documentaries about Jack The Ripper but I've never found any info about this.

Hi, Renfield. Which particular JTR letters are you referring to? There are dozens still in existence.
    The Lusk letter was subjected years ago to an examination by Thomas Mann of the World Association of Document Examiners who came to the conclusion that the writer was semi-literate and not disguising his handwriting.

Sugden said in his book on Jack that a graphologist Sue Iremonger, of the same Association as Mr Mann was engaged in a study of the main Ripper letters but I don't know whether those results were ever published.

If you are really interested in this aspect of the Ripper mystery, try and get hold of 'Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell' by Evans and Skinner. It examines and reproduces all the letters signed 'Jack' and the Lusk letter. Also there are letters written by various suspects (originals) such as Bury, Druitt and Tumblety. I really recommend the book and it's available on Kindle.

The trouble is of course, who knows whether Jack ever bothered communicating with the authorities over any of his 'work'. If he was a semi-literate local man would he have bothered?

Cheers, Rosella.

Comment

And Cornwall compared Sickert to some, also paper was compared for her, but at most you will ever prove by this is that the person wrote some letters, since there were literally 100s of letters and clearly written by at least dozens, probably hundreds, of people it is obvious they couldn't all be written by the killer, so which letters were his [I suspect none].

Until someone can tie a letter to the killer a comparison of handwriting doesn't tell us much at all.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Renfield View Post
        I couldn't find any answers to this question so I hope I'm not starting a thread which already exists.
        Has anyone compared the handwriting from the letters with the handwriting of any of the suspects? I've seen many many documentaries about Jack The Ripper but I've never found any info about this.
        Hi Renfield
        The short answer is that the handwriting of the dear Boss/saucyjack and the From hell letters do not match any of the known suspects.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
        X