Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 9 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Simon Wood 13 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 21 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 39 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Elamarna 40 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Darryl Kenyon 51 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (28 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (16 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 06-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
In the mantelpiece of the middle bedroom was a jar of banknotes, 5 in 1 notes, left untouched.
In his police statement (made on the night of the murder) Wallace said "about 4" had been taken. And I believe that we only have Wallace's word for how the missing 4 was comprised.

The 5 were in Treasury notes. These ceased to be legal tender in 1933. The Bank of England issued its first 1 in 1928; before this time the lowest note it issued was the 5. As you know, one of the Treasury notes was smeared with blood.

Last edited by ColdCaseJury : 06-15-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
IF someone else killed Julia, then the time of the murder was between 6:45pm and 8:45pm. And what if MacFall stuck to his original time of death as 8pm? Surely, the alibi would have been watertight?
Thanks CCJ. I was just considering the theory that Wallace arranged for someone else to commit the murder, leaving himself free to set up a cast iron alibi. If he was involved in any way at all he must have been acutely aware that he would be the prime suspect without one. Clearly if this was the plan he failed to do a good enough job because there was still potentially - going by all the evidence presented - enough time for him to have been in the house killing his wife before he was first sighted out and about looking for Menlove Gardens East. He couldn't have known beforehand the exact time an accomplice would be able to carry out the deed, and determining the time of death - now as it was then - is a very inexact science, which depends to a large extent on the supporting evidence of when last seen alive and when discovered dead. So it would have been crucial for the husband to be seen away from home for as long as practicably possible that evening to cover all the bases, or why risk involving a third party to do the dirty work?

I do find everything about Wallace's 'errand' that night, and the way he went about running it, deeply suspicious, because it would still look very odd if his wife had not come to harm in his absence. But that's not proof of course. My instincts tell me he either acted alone or someone else did. Conspiracies can so rarely be maintained indefinitely.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 06-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Another thought...

If an independent killer needed to get Wallace out of the house, how could he have been sure the phone message would do the trick and keep him away long enough? Did he hang around watching the house until Wallace left? How did he know Wallace was taken in by the ruse and responding accordingly, and wasn't just popping out for five minutes on another errand entirely?

Love,

Caz
X

Old 06-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Another thought...
If an independent killer needed to get Wallace out of the house, how could he have been sure the phone message would do the trick and keep him away long enough? Did he hang around watching the house until Wallace left? How did he know Wallace was taken in by the ruse and responding accordingly, and wasn't just popping out for five minutes on another errand entirely?
As you imply, there are tough questions for any independent killer theory (except Wallace acting alone, of course). I believe these points lower the probability that someone else acted alone, but this does not imply overall it is the worst solution, given the evidence we have. Of course, your points would not be issues for someone working with Wallace.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I would still like to know why anyone would wish Julia Wallace dead.

Graham
Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Ginger,
Never mind whether Wallace attended the office every day,on that particular day,not knowing of an address,it w as a place where he could obtain information.It was company business,he had an obligation to try.Quite a few leads to prspective customers came via the office,so it was in the interests of the agents to attend regularly.
harry:

True enough, but... He knew the general location of the Menlove Gardens streets. He had no reason that I can see to believe that finding 25 East was going to present any difficulty.

I don't know the rules governing Prudential sales territories, but Mossley Hill, where Menlove Gardens is, seems quite some distance from Anfield, where Wallace lived. This is pure speculation on my part, but he may have feared that mentioning the matter before he had the sale might result in his being told to let the local agent handle it.

The appointment was set for the evening. By the time he realized that he couldn't find the address, the business day at the office was over, and even phoning in to ask someone to look it up for him was likely to be a futile attempt.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Chief Inspector

Ginger,
As I understand it each commission agent was given a territory,and there was gentlemens and company agreements,that each agent was responsible for business within that territory.So unless Menlove Gardens East came within Wallace's territory,he would not generally attend himself,but pass it on to that areas representative,but Wallace was specifically mentioned,and he did not attempt to pass it on. Why should it make any difference,if someone other than Wallace presented himself to Qualtrouph?It was a normal insurance transaction.It is,to me,suspicious.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Chief Inspector

If Wallace was the killer,he could only have committed the murder before leaving,and an important consideration was Julia Wallace be seen some short time before he would need to leave.There w as one opportunity,and that involved the milk boy.He regularly came a minute or two before or after 6.30pm.I believe,although doubt was cast,that the milk boy was on regular time that night.It must also have been the police and jury's belief also,and led the police to consider that Wallace had a period of from 14-20 minute in which to act.It is only Wallace's word that he(Wallace) left at 6.45.There is nothing to support it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Chief Inspector

The tram stop from which Wallace took his first journey on that night was situated at Belmont Road, which was about a third of a mile from the Wallace home in Wolverton St. He caught a no 26 tram from that stop at approximately 6:55pm. A third of a mile can't be walked in a couple of minutes. Nine or ten minutes is a very reasonable period of time to walk that distance, which meant Wallace probably did leave his house at 6:45pm.

Wallace would have had to have caught that tram in order to have been in time to have boarded a connecting tram at Lodge Lane/Smithdown Rd which arrived that night at this stop at about 7:6pm. We know that Wallace boarded this tram, a no 4, because he asked the conductor if that tram went to Menlove Gardens East. He was told it did not and that he had to get another tram at Penny Lane, which he did.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Detective

The milk boy's original statement, IIRC, was that he had spoken with Mrs. Wallace at 6:45 or so. The police subsequently talked him around to the peculiarly specific time of 6:31.

I've heard it suggested that Wallace impersonated his wife at the door, but I don't think that's really possible. The man had a fine, prominent moustache, and I can't really imagine anyone taking him for a woman, and especially not a woman that they knew by sight.

In the end I'm struck by the fact that the police really, seriously, wanted to lay this murder at Wallace's feet, to the point where they seem to have abandoned all objectivity to do so. Why? That doesn't seem to have been their usual way of doing things. What did the Liverpool Police know, or believe they knew, about Wallace to result in that behaviour?