The Abberline Diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I'm here to tell you that it didn't match his handwriting.

... that's because he wrote it in shorthand. Tee hee!

(Strange but true)
    after the first sentence I was thinking ' does Sam think that all diaries are forgeries '

I knew that Pepys diary was written in shorthand but I've never actually seen it. I've read the translation though. I'll have to check online for any pics.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

"Remarkably, none of the experts hired to verify the Hitler Diaries seem to have spotted this, yet the initials appeared on volume after volume after volume."

Hello Sam,

I think the experts started to become suspicious when Hitler stated he only invaded Poland to impress Jodie Foster.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I think the experts started to become suspicious when Hitler stated he only invaded Poland to impress Jodie Foster.
        Wouldn't we all? She's an amazing woman, that's for sure
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

September 1st. Frequented my opera house. Good news from Poland.

Decided to change my name to Fred. Trigger Chamberlain's been calling me that for years, so why not?

Oh-oh. Changed my mind. As soon as he heard about Fred, that little crawler Himmler changed his to Sid, and now Goering's gone and changed his to Wayne. Bloody sycophants!

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post
            I think the Orton Diaries only came to light a few years after his death.
            I think that it was known during Ortons lifetime that he was writing a diary. What I am after is people of fame where it is not known that they do keep a diary, and when such a diary surfaces only after they died.

Whenever that happens, it seems the odds are very much in favour of a forgery. I´m sure that there can be exceptions to the rule, but my overall feeling is that there are a lot more forgers than there are famous people writing secret diaries.

Comment

Unless I've missed some more recent information it appears that the Himmler diaries are genuine? Discovered not long ago in the Russian Military Archives under 'dnewnik,' the Russian for 'diary.'

The movie 'The King's Speech' was based on the discovered diaries of Lionel Logue. These appear to be genuine.

In around 2013 the diaries of Manuben, one of Ghandi's personal assistants surfaced. I assume that these are genuine.

I'm unsure if anyone knew that these people kept diaries but I tend to assume that no one would have any special reason for thinking so?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                Unless I've missed some more recent information it appears that the Himmler diaries are genuine? Discovered not long ago in the Russian Military Archives under 'dnewnik,' the Russian for 'diary.'

The movie 'The King's Speech' was based on the discovered diaries of Lionel Logue. These appear to be genuine.

In around 2013 the diaries of Manuben, one of Ghandi's personal assistants surfaced. I assume that these are genuine.

I'm unsure if anyone knew that these people kept diaries but I tend to assume that no one would have any special reason for thinking so?
                Quoting myself:

"I´m sure that there can be exceptions to the rule, but my overall feeling is that there are a lot more forgers than there are famous people writing secret diaries."

As you yourself point out, you don´t know whether it was known that these men kept diaries. I checked for Himmler and it turns out that he kept a diary throughout his life, and not only during the war years. It was apparently common knowledge that he did so.

But I´m sure that there will be some examples of known people keeping secret diaries, that turned up after their deaths. Whenever such a thing happens, though, I´ d advice a lot of scepticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                  Quoting myself:

"I´m sure that there can be exceptions to the rule, but my overall feeling is that there are a lot more forgers than there are famous people writing secret diaries."

As you yourself point out, you don´t know whether it was known that these men kept diaries. I checked for Himmler and it turns out that he kept a diary throughout his life, and not only during the war years. It was apparently common knowledge that he did so.

But I´m sure that there will be some examples of known people keeping secret diaries, that turned up after their deaths. Whenever such a thing happens, though, I´ d advice a lot of scepticism.
                  I totally agree with you Fish. I wasn't trying to make any kind of point here I was just looking for examples. If a potential forger hears talk of an as yet undiscovered diary it like putting an advertisement in the Jobcentre!
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    I totally agree with you Fish. I wasn't trying to make any kind of point here I was just looking for examples. If a potential forger hears talk of an as yet undiscovered diary it like putting an advertisement in the Jobcentre!
                    I more or less asked for examples, so I am simply grateful to you for chiming in, Herlock!

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                      Anne Frank?

And much like Maybrick her fame came from the diary itself.
                      And not surprising, there have been several attempts to claim that her diary was a fake.. it has been proven not to be by the way, yet there are those who still try to debunk it.. usually with ulterior motives sadly.

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Gandhi's diary, as revealed by Willie Rushton on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue -

July the 8th: First thing, I went to my spinning wheel and ran up a handsome pale grey loincloth, that'll set off my very nice new blazer. The question of the day - a big one - is which hairpiece to wear? Lord Mountbatten gave me a nice ginger wig for my birthday, and it looks very fine indeed. Mr Churchill is going to feel the rough edge of my tongue.

July the 9th: I awoke to the delightful sound of my good lady wife, Mrs Mandy Rice-Gandhi, singing "Goldfinger" to herself over the kedgeree. I emptied a bottle of Chartreuse over my Coco Pops, and readjusted my toupée.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                          I more or less asked for examples, so I am simply grateful to you for chiming in, Herlock!
                          No problem Fish
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            Wouldn't we all? She's an amazing woman, that's for sure
                            Hello Sam,

You might not be aware of it over there across the pond but John Hinckley, the man who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, gave that as his motivation. He was committed to a mental institution.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Hello Sam,

You might not be aware of it over there across the pond but John Hinckley, the man who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, gave that as his motivation. He was committed to a mental institution.
                              Indeed, I well remember the John Hinckley case. Thankfully, my admiration for Jodie Foster occupies a more objective plane
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Has Hinckley been released?
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X