Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking Back to 1888?

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    And when you're in one of those pubs Jason, just close your eyes for a moment and think back to 1888.

Monty
    I didn't know Jason was that old. Quick, waterboard the old boy for some personal reminiscences before he pops his clogs!

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

So, Jason, how was your East End experience? Did it live up to your expectations?

Comment

The White Hart is ideal Jason,

And go right to the back. The toilets are devine ;-)
        Untouched since 1888.
        Managing Editor
        Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          So, Jason, how was your East End experience? Did it live up to your expectations?
          got back home about 5 pm this evening from London. Yesterday was fantastic, white hart toilets et al !! thing that struck me as most surprising was how close everything seemed to each other, so much closer than i first imagined. It has been really misty in London and it created such an atmospheric picture. Nothing disappointed me, the only sad part was visiting mitre square and seeing the developments beginning.....that site is not going to be worth seeing in a short while. I would love to get hold of one of the cobbles as they are going to be ripped up ( bad pun )......loved Middlesex street and goulston street, really gave me a great impression. Ended the evening back in the white hart with a thai red prawn curry....bloody lovely that was too !! got some great pictures so will post them later, quite a spooky one looking up Gunthorpe.....so glad i did it, will never forget yesterday.

Comment

have to say i was quite proud of how much i knew when listening to the guides, i actually think i could do one myself !!....dont think i heard anyone say anything i didnt already know.....thanks to Casebook of course !!

Comment

Glad to hear you had such a good time. Philip Hutchinson showed me what he believed to be some of the original setts in the square (we don't say "cobbles" around Philip): they are the reddish ones where the square narrows at the entrance from Mitre Street. If anyone can lay their hands on some of those, they would fetch a bob or two.

Comment

Glad to hear you had such a good time. Philip Hutchinson showed me what he believed to be some of the original setts in the square (we don't say "cobbles" around Philip): they are the reddish ones where the square narrows at the entrance from Mitre Street. If anyone can lay their hands on some of those, they would fetch a bob or two.
                actually thought of popping back later in the evening with something to wedge them out.....be a bloody shame if they ended up in a landfill site !! ......like Mary kellys partition door or bed probably did ! ( i know....i need help !! )

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  (i know....i need help !! )
                  No you don't. All it means is that you're one of us.

Comment

No you don't. All it means is that you're one of us.
                    haha.....i knew you would say that !! ...can you imagine an episode of "antiques roadshow" with us lot on it ? ......

Comment

it would be brillance
                      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
                        it would be brillance
                        though slightly dark !......it would be on around 11.15pm.....with a warning at the start...."CONTAINS ITEMS OR IMAGES OR EVEN BODY PARTS WHICH MAY CAUSE DISTRESS"

Comment

And when you're in one of those pubs Jason, just close your eyes for a moment and think back to 1888.

Monty
                          The price of beer will shatter the illusion though.

Comment

As will a couple of penn'orth of mothers' ruin....

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                              As will a couple of penn'orth of mothers' ruin....

All the best

Dave
                              Good Morning, Dave!

No one here in the States, or perhaps outside England will have a clue what "penn'orth of mothers' ruin...." is.

I'd guess a penny's worth (or just a little bit) of something, but what in the world is mothers' ruin?

Thanks,

curious

Comment

Sorry Velma...it hadn't occurred to me the phrase hadn't crossed the pond...it's gin!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X