Cutbush Relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gloria,
    Welcome to the boards, glad you plucked up the courage to post!

Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      Hi Gloria,
      Welcome to the boards, glad you plucked up the courage to post!

Debs
      Debs..... Hi, and thanks for welcome. Took a bit of time to get on board, but I'm here now.
      Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
        No worries, Gloria, I was actually reading up on the South African side of your family when you turned up here; and you are most welcome here.
        You may not know that it is my belief that Thomas Cutbush's father - Thomas Taylor Cutbush - ended up in South Africa, after leaving Fiji, and may well have died there... and I believe that he was visiting members of your family there. He often ended up in places around the world where he had a strong family connection to the Floods, Mears and even the Stoddarts.
        I'd be very interested to know if there is any family connection you are able to make to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry or any of the properties owned by the Flood-Cutbush clan around the foundry?
        I don't know how much you know about Debra's, Robert's and my own research into your family, but it is certainly an interesting diversion to look into the family links to Fiji where one finds the Cutbush clan linked to the Swann family - who now virtually run and rule Fiji - through the Taylor family - who own a bell foundry in England.
        Prepare for the journey of a lifetime.
        Cap'n Jack,
        Is there somewhere that I can go to read up on the South African side of the Cutbush clan? I have just hit brick wall after brick wall, which is quite ridiculous when you consider that is where I am from. Unfortunately, or maybe not, I am the last in line, bar my two issue who at this moment do not seem too interested.
        Matilda and Mary Ann Mears are related to me by their husband, Luke Flood Cutbush. Regarding the Properties, I unhappily have to say, I wish...... Don't have a clue who owns them or what happened in the event of there not being an heir apparent. Saw a T.V. programme about missing heirs and a firm that traces them. Pity I didn't take more notice. As for the Swanns, I'm connected only by marriage , Stoddarts, ditto.
        It feels as though I have already been journeying on this family of mine for a lifetime. Will I ever get to the end of it and be able to say job done???
        Debra did tell me that the three of you were working on the Cutbush Clan
        which has been a god-send for me being able to pick up what I have off the JtR site. Thanks a million you gems.
        Gloria
        P.S. I'm off to Fiji

Comment

You'll enjoy Fiji, Gloria.
          I can't now remember the name of the Swann's first pub and hotel there, but it was where Thomas Taylor Cutbush stayed; and it is still there.
          I was interested to find this 'Flood' working in the Criminal Investigation Department at Scotland Yard in 1894, with the likes of Melville, and I would have imagined that he was related to both Charles Henry Cutbush and Thomas Hayne Cutbush... and perhaps played a role in the newspaper story of that year.

' EDWARD FLOOD . I am a police sergeant in the Criminal Investigation Department—on May 31st last I went, with Inspectors Melville, Sweeney, and Walsh, to 54, Park Walk—in consequence of a message from Inspector Melville I went to Vitz's, a cabinet-maker, in a street near by—I saw the prisoner there and told him that Chief Inspector Melville and other officers were at his house and would require him to be there—he said, "Hallo, what's up now? Are you looking for some more dynamite?"

Comment

This fleshes out a bit more knowledge:

Listed building details
            Street: Highgate West Hill
            Grade: II
            Reference No: 798-1-8815
            Date of listing: May 14 1974 12:00AM

View a full sized photograph

Description:
            Detached house. 1834. For William Cutbush, nurseryman. Painted brick. Fishscale and diamond slate roof with gables having carved bargeboards. Tall brick chimney-stacks and C20 dormer. 2 storeys and attic. 4 windows (1 blind). Right hand bay slightly projecting with canted bay window at ground floor with architraved window with penthouse roof above. Entrance to left; cambered arched with overlight and panelled door. Cambered arches to recessed sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as a house with seed shop & office in projecting bay with hoist doors over. Originally with large pilastered conservatory shop to right. (Survey of London: Vol. XVII, The Village of Highgate (Parish of St Pancras part I): London: -1936: 68; Richardson J: Highgate - Its History since the Fifteenth Century: London: -1983: 55).

Location of Listed Building

Map data ©2008 Tele Atlas - Terms of UseMapSatelliteHybrid

Comment

And, Gloria, I forgot to mention, try the Clark - Cutbush connection in regard to your relatives in South Africa.

Comment

Cap'n Jack

Cap.... Have Googled Clark Cutbush South Africa and ZILCH.
                Could you please give me a few more leads (says the Rookie)
                Hic.... (its the Oudemeester)
                Gloria

Comment

You gotta have a lot of time for this one, Gloria, as it comes up on something like the 64th page of returns; but if you use Google books or images it might come up sooner.
                  I know I found it, but then the horrors of the drink came upon me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                    No worries, Gloria, I was actually reading up on the South African side of your family when you turned up here; and you are most welcome here.
                    You may not know that it is my belief that Thomas Cutbush's father - Thomas Taylor Cutbush - ended up in South Africa, after leaving Fiji, and may well have died there... and I believe that he was visiting members of your family there. He often ended up in places around the world where he had a strong family connection to the Floods, Mears and even the Stoddarts.
                    I'd be very interested to know if there is any family connection you are able to make to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry or any of the properties owned by the Flood-Cutbush clan around the foundry?
                    I don't know how much you know about Debra's, Robert's and my own research into your family, but it is certainly an interesting diversion to look into the family links to Fiji where one finds the Cutbush clan linked to the Swann family - who now virtually run and rule Fiji - through the Taylor family - who own a bell foundry in England.
                    Prepare for the journey of a lifetime.
                    Hi Ap or Cap'n Jack! I have found my connections to the Mears that you were asking about in your PM. MATILDA CATHERINE MEARS b 1807 d 1829
                    married LUKE FLOOD CUTBUSH to whom I am a half 2nd great grand niece.
                    SARAH MEARS (no dates) married JOSEPH KINGSMILL to whom I am a 3rd cousin 3 x removed. Another SARAH MEARS b 1760 married THOMAS KINGSMILL to whom I am a 2nd cousin 4 x removed.
                    I can't find THOMAS TAYLOR CUTBUSH in Fiji, but I have found a THOMAS WATSON CUTBUSH of the Fiji Platoon of Kings Royal Rifles. Neither can I find TTC in South Africa, but then you know how difficult it is to access information there. As for the STODDARTS, this is all I could find on AGNES INGLES STODDART: Witness to her marriage George Sample and John C. Stoddart (Hopper Street Printer) married by Rev. John Hall. She was only 18 years old.
                    She is buried with Christina Stoddart who died on 27th March 1892. Grave now sits under the main Wellington Highway. Before being dismantled was in Sydney Street Cemetry
                    Stoddarts owned great estates in Kent, mostly the Maidstone region, and one James Stoddart specified in his will that no Catholic should inherit one bit of his property. UNQUOTE
                    Of course I am sure you know the Cutbush clockmakers were from Kent as well.

Yep, you, Debs and Robert have done a whole shed load of work on my family for which I am very grateful.
                    Gloria

Comment

Hi Everybody,

My first post, so please be kind; I'm a virgin.

I am a great great great great great grandson (I think I got that right) of Thomas Hoskins Cutbush.

I have in my possession original documents passed down to me through my maternal grandmother, a Gripper. Her mother was a Cutbush.

I would like to share these documents with any members who have a particular interest in the Cutbush property portfolio, and in exchange maybe I will get some help in filling in any gaps on the Flood-Cutbush-Gripper tree. So here goes:

1.Deed of Gift dated 25th December 1810 to Tom Flood Cutbush of one fourth part of the freehold in Star Court, Nightingale Lane, Middlesex, signed by his grandfather, Luke Flood. I understand St.Katherine's Docks now stands in this location.

2. Extract of Last Will and Testament of Thomas Hoskins Cutbush dated 31st July 1823 and Grant of Probate to his wife Clarissa.

3. Admission of Luke Flood to Stepney Manor. This relates to the tenement nearby the house known as the King's Arms on the north side of Whitechapel Street. Dated 1781.

3. Probate of Edward Cutbush dated 17th June 1820

4. Counterpart Lease dated 5th September 1838 between Tom Flood Cutbush and Ebenezer Gosbell. Relating to 30 Whitechapel Road.

5. Assignment of leasehold properties dated 1767; this a large two page parchment and is difficult to decipher, but I think relates St. Bartholomew's in Rochester.

If these documents arouse anyone's interest, please let me know.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                        Glad you joined up and posted!You are also some sort of cousin to Thomas Hayne Cutbush?
                        I thought some on here were interested in the properties the Cutbushes owned around Whitechapel, whatever you have is welcome I'm sure, and thanks for posting.

Comment

Hi Debra,

Glad you found my post ! Yes it seems that my Great Great Grandfather was Edward Cutbush and his brother Thomas was the father of Thomas Taylor Cutbush and grandfather of Thomas Hayne Cutbush.

On the real estate issue, the Cutbushs seem to have built themselves quite an empire but it did no harm marrying into the Flood clan, the most distinguished of whom was Luke Flood, who died in 1860 and for whom Flood Street in Chelsea is named. He was a great benefactor to charity and gave huge sums to widows, poor houses and the church. You probably know all this, so forgive me.

Comment

Hi Keith and welcome

I don't suppose there are any family photos?

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,

No family photos I am afraid, but there are portraits, three to be precise, one of whom is Edward Cutbush 1820-60 and the other two are unidentified. But something may still turn up.

Comment

Hi Keith

Thanks. Re Edward, which Edward is this? I have Edward the brother of Thomas Cutbush and the uncle of Thomas Taylor Cutbush (the father of Thomas Hayne Cutbush) as being born 1819 and dying 1890.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X