Ripper Street series 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Moonbeggar and Caz, thank you for your responses about dialect (or lack thereof) in "Ripper Street". I thought some characters did have accents, that's how much I know!

Seriously, if everyone spoke authentic Cockney and thieves' cant, no one watching would understand it (at least over here!)
    think you have hit the nail on the head, when a show is made for international distribution they need to be particularly careful about language or listeners from some parts of the world will not understand a word.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hello Caz , Yes I am sure you are right regarding the wider audience malarkey .. but I am sure that the occasional Eliza Doolittle cameo wouldn't do the ratings much harm . My Granddad had me in tow most Sunday mornings down club row & petticoat lane when I was a pup , and I can still remember clearly to this day the colorful language and expressions used by his older pals I am just a little peeved that the show chooses to paint over these cracks, falsifying history and denying a wide TV audience some genuine insight ... But oh well , it is TV , and I suppose we should be grateful for a decent period drama regardless of the flaws ..

Cheers , moonbegger .

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Moonbeggar and Caz, thank you for your responses about dialect (or lack thereof) in "Ripper Street". I thought some characters did have accents, that's how much I know!

Seriously, if everyone spoke authentic Cockney and thieves' cant, no one watching would understand it (at least over here!)
        It wasn't so much the accents I had a problem with, but the quaintly old-fashioned dialogue, which at times sounded more Elizabethan than late Victorian.

As I said, my grandparents were all Victorian children, and their conversational English as adults really wouldn't have been that different from ours today.

'Tis but a small quibble from me though.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 06-10-2015, 05:02 AM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
          It wasn't so much the accents I had a problem with, but the quaintly old-fashioned dialogue, which at times sounded more Elizabethan than late Victorian.

As I said, my grandparents were all Victorian children, and their conversational English as adults really wouldn't have been that different from ours today.

'Tis but a small quibble from me though.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wholeheartedly agree that it's the quaint Elizabethan dialog that throws a spanner in the works for me , yet the American ( Blake I think ) appears to have a regular American 20th century accent ? An Connecticut yank in the court of King Arthur springs to mind

Comment

I know the language can be a bit annoying at times, but if the story and acting are good I can overlook it... I mean.. let’s face it, no Ancient Romans or German Nazi's had perfect English accents like they do in most films

I just watched the last episode of this series... and I really liked it... this season had its ups and downs.. a few things were just to eh for my taste... like the 2nd last episode...when doing historical drama why do an episode that is so "trendy" .. not that it was a bad show ( well, yeah it was, just didn't hold my interest at all) however the last episode was WOW.. amazing.. I would say 4 of the 8 were incredible, 2 were good 1 was ok and 1 was eh...still.. looking forward to seasons 4 and 5 that were signed!!!

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Jeez I still haven't seen season two. Lol glad to see its still going tho.

Comment

Not difficult to see an American hand at work (Amazon?) in series 3.
                One scene there, we have Reid & Co. parading down the high street equipped with hand guns & long guns. This is still Whitechapel I assume, not the O.K. Corral?
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Not difficult to see an American hand at work (Amazon?) in series 3.
                  One scene there, we have Reid & Co. parading down the high street equipped with hand guns & long guns. This is still Whitechapel I assume, not the O.K. Corral?
                  Too funny.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The DVDs are available.

Awaiting the Blurays.
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Was that Elizabeth Short whose image was used for Catherine Eddowes on Emund Reida map of Whitechapel?

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                        Was that Elizabeth Short whose image was used for Catherine Eddowes on Emund Reida map of Whitechapel?
                        thats what i said on an earlier post.... nobody agreed with me!!!! I am not crazy after all!!

Thank you

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                          thats what i said on an earlier post.... nobody agreed with me!!!! I am not crazy after all!!

Thank you

Steadmund Brand
                          Glad to be of help.

Of course there is the possibility that we're both crazy!

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Too funny.
                            From our cold dead hands etc.
                            It also bothers me when films are shot in New Orleans & none of the actors has a credible, authentic accent. They mostly sound Bible Belt Southern Standard. Even in HBO"s True Detectives the accents were more East Texas than South Louisiana. The only authentic NOLA accent I've heard on film was Eric Roberts in Heaven's Prisoners. Straight up 9th Ward, where y'at, dawlin'!!
                            From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                            "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                              You mean this one?

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                              JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Here's the full map from Ripper Street:

Click for a big version

and

Click for a big version
                                Last edited by richardh; 08-21-2015, 04:12 PM.
                                JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                                JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                                JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Working...
                                X