No announcement yet.

Feedback for Prisoner 4374

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books like this should be applauded genuine research and very well written unlike a lot of ripper books that I could mention.
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Firstly I feel dreadful that this slipped through.

I got the book lat year at a time when my health was absolutely Crap, in and out of hospital, in a great deal of pain and heavily medicated.

I knew I wasn't in a good place to read it, BUT had a month long cruise coming up, so put it aside to read it (along with a few other books), on the cruise.

Came home to a dead PC and wasn't going to pick out a review on my phone, posts maybe reviews never. Well to be frank with Christmas and all that it just got left on the to do list.

So I grovel at Amanda's feet for my tardiness.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Firstly it is a great read, it was actually the only book I managed to get through in the month. (I was still struggling to concentrate but this was such a good read on a purely readable level it wasn't hard).

If it were a "Novel" it would be in the best seller list.

Even the lovely Mrs Gut read it and enjoyed it, though she thinks I'm crazy for having any interest in Jack, when she says there are so many other historical mysteries (what she calls real history King Tut, Richard III, that sort of thing).

A fellow we met on the ship borrowed it too, got through it in one day (he had torn the ligaments in his foot and was laid up for a few days and was begging for books to read). Thought it was the best "read" of a selection that included James Patterson, John Grisham and a few others.

On that category it excelled.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• It is apparent that Amanda put a huge amount of research into the book.

Now I have never put a lot of time into Cream, previously but this has spiked my interest and when time permits I will be having a look at some other information on him.

The Photos were brilliant.

The one spot to me that it stumbles is the lack of referencing. To many that won't matter one iota, to others it will be fatal, to me it's a bit of a mid point thing.

I like to be able to double check asserted "facts" for myself. And I know that there was a great deal of criticism of Amanda and the book on this ground earlier. BUT if it was full of Endnotes/Footnotes it wouldn't have been as smooth of a read, for those who just wanted to read not study.

I appreciate that this is a balancing act that plagues many authors. Now it's no great secret that I detest Kindle but it is probably going to resolve this dilemma letting you turn references in and off.

I would advise anyone who wants a good read to grab this book because it is that. I loved the autobiographical style (again though not sure that it's a style that lends itself to referencing).

I'd advise anyone with an interest in Cream to grab this book, seems to thoroughly cover that span of his life, but would love to see Amanda release a referenced work more of a biography of the man.

Not sure that it's a book for those only interested in the Ripper, 'cause while it's a ripper of a book, not sure I'd say it's a book about the Ripper.
          G U T

Comment

• I eagerly await anything Amanda might bring out in the future.

Some authors I read and say that was good, some I read and say well that was a waste, some I read and say, wow have to look for my by them.

Amanda's writing style means she is firmly in that third group, I WANT more.
            G U T

Comment

• I couldn't agree more....I actually have 3 copies....one on my Kindle...a cherished signed copy from Amanda and a 3RD I bought to loan people ( for fear I wouldn't get my signed one back!!!!) plus some friends have bought it on my recommendation.....of the approximately 12 people I know who bought it or borrowed it...10 loved it...1 still hasn't read I and 1 didn't like it at all....but they thought it was a total work of fiction...
              When I explained that no...Cream was indeed a real person...they said ok...let me look into him a bit then re-read it....so jury still out on her....so pretty good percent of approval eh!!

one of my 2 favorite " ripper related" books in years.....and that's saying something as I TRY to read as many as I can....

I do know that Amanda has been hard at work on another book....and looking forward.....

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Not sure if I can do this through the Forum (please do let me know if it is not permitted), but I have just finished the book and would like to find a good 2nd home for it, as I am under strict instructions (!) to slim down my true crime library. Any reasonable offer for this good-as-new hardback would be welcome. If allowed, please PM me. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X