Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback for Prisoner 4374

Dear All,
    I'm starting this thread to get constructive feedback on my new book.

'Prisoner 4374' is the biography of Dr.Thomas Neill Cream, notorious Lambeth Poisoner & Jack the Ripper suspect.
    I have chosen to write in an 'autobiographical' way, to enable the reader to try to understand the man behind his crimes.
    This book is the result of many years of research and contains information which has not previously been made public.

I do hope you will enjoy reading my first publication, initial reviews are very encouraging and I am now working on my second Ripper-related book.

Amanda

Before even reading the first page I was struck by the cover now if you were to ask the average man in the street what jack the ripper looked like he's description wouldn't be far different than that photo.From the first chapter it's obvious we have a rarity on our hands a very well researched ripper book with not a hint of any dodgy d.n.a or clothing removed from the murder scene.Now the bit that I think adds so much to this book is the "autobiographical" aspect having cream befriending us and telling us his life story turns something very good into something brilliant .I could quite easily see cream as jack the ripper a lot of suspects we sometimes just can't see them been up to job I'm sure cream would have thrown himself into the job with great enthusiasm.Creams candidacy for jack depends on him been in London in 1888 was he ?I won't spoil it for you all but I urge anybody who has an interest in the ripper case( as the 3000 plus members on here must have )to buy this book even if you have no interest in cream (I certainly didn't) .out of the countless books I have read this ranks as one if the best ripper books I have read maybe after another few reads it might be the best .well done to the author and please don't let this be your last ripper book .
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Thank you Pinkmoon.

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it, certainly a very positive start to this thread.
      I hope that your positive feedback will now encourage others to give it a try.

Amanda

Comment

As someone who has been studying the “Ripper Crimes” since he was an early teens I have read countless books on the case, so it is rare that a book grabs my attention from the get go and I can’t put it down…THIS BOOK DID JUST THAT.

Prisoner 4374 may be the most engaging “Ripper” book I have ever read, written in an “autobiographical” style, we the reader are befriended, and as a result get a glimpse inside the head of Dr. Cream ( A suspect I also admit I never had much of an interest in…until now).

The research is amazing, the writing is fantastic, as it really does feel like “an old friend” is telling you his story…I’m trying not to give anything away.. but I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in not only the “Ripper” but anyone with an interest in the “criminal mind”…..a rare “Ripper” book I feel would appeal to many people outside of the “Jack the Ripper” circle…

I for one cannot wait for Amanda’s 2nd Ripper-related book…..

Prisoner 4374 is one of two Ripper books this year ( The Bank Holiday Murders being the other by Tom Wescott) that are MUST READ books!!!

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Like steadmund I have read countless ripper books and after a while they all seem to be saying the same thing going round in the same circle in fact things had got a little boring then this book comes along .Having cream befriend us and telling us his story is a stroke of genius it just adds so much to the book .Like steadmund I never really gave cream much thought I will now so my advice to any one even if you don't think cream could be our man buy this book it is breath of fresh air sorry a very well researched breath of fresh air.
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Dear Pinkmoon & Steadmund,

Thank you for the very positive comments, I'm delighted.

Could I ask your opinions on one point please? As Cream was Scottish-Canadian & spent many years in the U.S., how did I do with the 'Anericanised' writing?

Bearing in mind that I'm British with a very neutral accent, was the style of 'Cream's' memoir convincing enough?

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post

Could I ask your opinions on one point please? As Cream was Scottish-Canadian & spent many years in the U.S., how did I do with the 'Anericanised' writing?

Bearing in mind that I'm British with a very neutral accent, was the style of 'Cream's' memoir convincing enough?

Amanda
              Funny you should ask, I was thinking, while reading " I love that Cream sounds like an American trying to sound British"

Steadmund Brand
              Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM.
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post

Amanda
                I think you got it ALL spot on my dear I had no doubt after the first page I was listening to the dastardly Dr cream in fact I became quite fond of the old chap.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                  I think you got it ALL spot on my dear I had no doubt after the first page I was listening to the dastardly Dr cream in fact I became quite fond of the old chap.
                  Thank you guys.
                  Getting the right language format was probably the most difficult part for me.

Quite interested that there don't seem to be any other casebook members reading my book.....

Amanda

Comment

By not reading this they are missing a real treat I enjoyed it so much I bought it again in hardback as well as kindle format I've never done that before with a book.

Comment

By not reading this they are missing a real treat I enjoyed it so much I bought it again in hardback as well as kindle format I've never done that before with a book.
                      Wow! That's a huge compliment. Thanks

Amanda

Comment

When "R" you releasing your next book.

Comment

When "R" you releasing your next book.
                          Hi Pinkmoon,

I'm working on a novel right now, just to give my brain a 'Ripper' break.

My next Whitechapel book should be ready this time next year, can't rush it as there's more research to do and lots of unexplained coincidences which need to be investigated yet. Pretty sure it'll be an eye-opener..

Amanda

Comment

Amazon review posted.

I wrote 'All I know about Dr Cream was that he looked like Ben Turpin and was a git. I would have hung the bugger twice, and I would have done it out of spite.This is a book about him.'

Hope it helps.
                            All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                              Amazon review posted.

I wrote 'All I know about Dr Cream was that he looked like Ben Turpin and was a git. I would have hung the bugger twice, and I would have done it out of spite.This is a book about him.'

Hope it helps.
                              All the best.
                              Martin, you're a bugger!

I almost believed that & then decided to check the Amazon review before 'Ripping' in to you.....
                              So, anyway, thanks for a brilliant review, so glad you enjoyed it. Hope you didn't eat too many biscuits in the process.
                              Amanda

Comment

Working...
                              X