R.L.S., H.J., & E.H.: a questions of sources and results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Mayerling;405034]

Well, a dichotomy representation of the two 16th Century Queens for Mary Kelly is curious, to say the least.

One thing has bothered me about the Tennyson play. I have a copy of it in an old edition of the complete poems and plays of Tennyson, and I ploughed through it. What brought that awful play to your attention?
    Hi Jeff,

The murder of Mary Jane Kelly on Lord Mayor´s Day brought it to my attention.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;405064]
      Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Hi Jeff,

The murder of Mary Jane Kelly on Lord Mayor´s Day brought it to my attention.

Regards, Pierre
      Hi Pierre,

I'm not asking here for how you connect ideas, like Mary Kelly, Lord Mayor's Day, and "Queen Mary" by Tennyson, but how you ended up ever reading the play. It's not a good play, and it is certainly not considered on the same level of any well known work by that poet, like "Idylls of the King", "Locksley Hall", "The Charge of the Light Brigade", or even his short poem, "Ulysses". This is the equivalent to somebody discussing, say Jules Verne, and instead of talking about "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" or "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", discussing the merits of some long forgotten short story, "The Humbug". I have nothing against literary studies, but this was from left field. Did you study up on Tennyson for a course?

Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=Mayerling;405082]
        Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Hi Pierre,

I'm not asking here for how you connect ideas, like Mary Kelly, Lord Mayor's Day, and "Queen Mary" by Tennyson, but how you ended up ever reading the play. It's not a good play, and it is certainly not considered on the same level of any well known work by that poet, like "Idylls of the King", "Locksley Hall", "The Charge of the Light Brigade", or even his short poem, "Ulysses". This is the equivalent to somebody discussing, say Jules Verne, and instead of talking about "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" or "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", discussing the merits of some long forgotten short story, "The Humbug". I have nothing against literary studies, but this was from left field. Did you study up on Tennyson for a course?

Jeff
        Jeff, I admire your gift for comedy!

The idea that he read the play!

Comment

He is busy decoding his gogmagog letter. Intrigued by the grand gilt coach he Googles the phrase. The third link takes him to Letters of Tennyson 1851-1870, which opens to a letter using a similar phrase. He goes to online-literature.com to explore some works of Tennyson, the third piece in the list of works is Queen Mary: A Drama. That's probably enough for him. He glanced at the link for the Dramatis Personae. He wrongly assumes it's the other Queen Mary, notes the presence of a Princess Elizabeth. It's done.

That is what the poster calls researching, analyzing sources. He loves the phrase internal and external source criticism, but we saw no evidence that he'd actually done anything more substantial than what I just did.

Comment

[QUOTE=Henry Flower;405090]

But don't you know the next degree he will claim is literature.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

[QUOTE=Henry Flower;405090]

Yes, but I did read it. Someone should pay for that!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                He is busy decoding his gogmagog letter. Intrigued by the grand gilt coach he Googles the phrase. The third link takes him to Letters of Tennyson 1851-1870, which opens to a letter using a similar phrase. He goes to online-literature.com to explore some works of Tennyson, the third piece in the list of works is Queen Mary: A Drama. That's probably enough for him. He glanced at the link for the Dramatis Personae. He wrongly assumes it's the other Queen Mary, notes the presence of a Princess Elizabeth. It's done.

That is what the poster calls researching, analyzing sources. He loves the phrase internal and external source criticism, but we saw no evidence that he'd actually done anything more substantial than what I just did.
                Sounds very reasonable Henry, but I'd like him to explain it, if he could.

Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=GUT;405131]
                  Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post

But don't you know the next degree he will claim is literature.
                  Yes he might. And from my reading Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues" maybe I should claim to be an expert on building privately owned, palatial submarines!

Comment

Yes, but I did read it. Someone should pay for that!

Jeff

Comment

I see the beat goes on...

Happy (Belated) New Year, all.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Sounds very reasonable Henry, but I'd like him to explain it, if he could.

Jeff
                        Isn´t it sufficient with the "explanations" given by the attackers "Henry Flower", "David Orsam" and "GUT"?

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                          Isn´t it sufficient with the "explanations" given by the attackers "Henry Flower", "David Orsam" and "GUT"?

Pierre
                          Perhaps, but the enquiry was directed to you. This was not an inquiry into what your central theory is, but just how exactly you ended up acquainted with this play by Tennyson. Telling me won't damage your control over your own work, it just informs me about your reading a bit. That's all.

Jeff

Comment

Yes he might. And from my reading Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues" maybe I should claim to be an expert on building privately owned, palatial submarines!
                            Why not. (You might get a tax deduction anyway).

Doesn't take much for that one to claim to be an expert on anything.

Still can't believe he claims to be a great historian
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Belatedly, Happy New Year to you too!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Back at ya.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X