Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: H H holmes - by DirectorDave 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Madam Detective 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Harry D 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (9 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (3 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (2 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 11-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Harry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
It's been suggested that this was an embellishment by Mrs. Maxwell at the inquest to back-up her testimony. There was no mention of it in her original statement to the Central News.

My response would be... at what point do we assume then that she didn't embellish?

Have you read William Beadle's book, Jack the Ripper: Unmasked? There's a section where he makes a credible argument for Mary Kelly's murder occurring later in the morning. Dr. Bond was basing the TOD on the advancement of rigor mortis and coldness of the body, but in his book Beadle opens this inexact science to doubt.\

I have, although I disagree with some of the leaps of faith in it. The stomach contents in terms of her last meal also helped Bond determine when her body stopped processing food...because she was dead. In any Maxwell quote do you recall any mention of Mary telling "Corrie" that she had eaten that morning?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Caroline Maxwell had known of Mary for a few months and had barely said hello to her in those fleeting meetings. So now Mary is calling her "Corrie"?

There is no information that shows us Mary would even know the womans name, let alone use it casually.
You say all this, Michael, like it's something that never been thought of before but the coroner specifically asked Maxwell about it during the inquest over 126 years ago and she gave her answer:

And yet you say you had only spoken to her twice previously; you knew her name and she knew yours ? - Oh, yes; by being about in the lodging-house.

So there is the answer. There is the "information" that Mary knew Mrs Maxwell's name was Carrie (not Corrie incidentally). It is the evidence of Mrs Maxwell.

Had the coroner and/or the jury been unsatisfied by her answer they would no doubt have questioned her further.

And you have mischaracterised the evidence of Maxwell when you say that she had "barely said hello" to Kelly, because she testified: "I knew the deceased for about four months….On two occasions I spoke to her." You have no idea what was said on those two occasions.

And I don't know about you but I often only need to speak to a person once to know their name. Sometimes, and quite frequently, in fact, I know someone's name when I've never even spoken to them.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
You say all this, Michael, like it's something that never been thought of before but the coroner specifically asked Maxwell about it during the inquest over 126 years ago and she gave her answer:

And yet you say you had only spoken to her twice previously; you knew her name and she knew yours ? - Oh, yes; by being about in the lodging-house.

So there is the answer. There is the "information" that Mary knew Mrs Maxwell's name was Carrie (not Corrie incidentally). It is the evidence of Mrs Maxwell.

Had the coroner and/or the jury been unsatisfied by her answer they would no doubt have questioned her further.

And you have mischaracterised the evidence of Maxwell when you say that she had "barely said hello" to Kelly, because she testified: "I knew the deceased for about four months….On two occasions I spoke to her." You have no idea what was said on those two occasions.

And I don't know about you but I often only need to speak to a person once to know their name. Sometimes, and quite frequently, in fact, I know someone's name when I've never even spoken to them.
Its fairly easily explainable in my humble opinion...You meet someone
"Hello I'm Mary"
Hello my name is Mrs Maxwell, but call me Carrie"...
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote