Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Could this be James Thomas Sadler ? - by PaulWilliams 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Elamarna 4 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Could this be James Thomas Sadler ? - by Joolz 5 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Fisherman 5 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by John G 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Ann Nichols: Polly's Wounds: What were they like? - (17 posts)
General Discussion: The Double Event - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - (6 posts)
Dear Boss Letter: Thomas Bulling-CNA - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Could this be James Thomas Sadler ? - (2 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Lipski - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Detective

Intriguing - but I think I'm confused as to exactly where Elizabeth Prater's room was. Since in some references it was directly above Mary's room but in others it was at the front of 26 Dorset Street (above where they stored the barrows).
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySinger View Post
Intriguing - but I think I'm confused as to exactly where Elizabeth Prater's room was. Since in some references it was directly above Mary's room but in others it was at the front of 26 Dorset Street (above where they stored the barrows).
Hi,

It was number 20.

"Elizabeth Prater, a married woman, said: My husband, William Prater, was a boot machinist, and he has deserted me. I live at 20 Room, in Miller's-court, above the shed. Deceased occupied a room below. I left the room on the Thursday at five p.m., and returned to it at about one a.m. on Friday morning. I stood at the corner until about twenty minutes past one. No one spoke to me. McCarthy's shop was open, and I called in, and then went to my room. I should have seen a glimmer of light in going up the stairs if there had been a light in deceased's room, but I noticed none. The partition was so thin I could have heard Kelly walk about in the room. I went to bed at half-past one and barricaded the door with two tables."

http://www.casebook.org/official_doc...est_kelly.html

Pierre
Old 11-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Detective

The other thing is that I formed an opinion that the information on Elizabeth Prater in the witness section of Casebook (from Wiki) might be wrong but I can't seem to access it at all at the moment. Has it disappeared?

Also, if Jack was intending to target 2 women that night then that would give more credence to the letter sent a week before the murder of Mary from 14 Dorset Street regarding Yarmouth and the reference to the murder of two Norwich women. As far as I could determine, the term "Norwich Woman" referred to someone getting more than their fair share (not sure of what though).
Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Detective

I found a reference to a William Prater, boot machinist, who was sent to jail for a few years. That Elizabeth had different details to those shown on Casebook but the date he went to jail was around the time EP stated she was deserted. Probably all a red herring in terms of your theory Pierre but, hey these things are important.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I found a reference to a William Prater, boot machinist, who was sent to jail for a few years. That Elizabeth had different details to those shown on Casebook but the date he went to jail was around the time EP stated she was deserted. Probably all a red herring in terms of your theory Pierre but, hey these things are important.
Well, the person I believe to be the murderer isnīt William Prater.

Regards Pierre
Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Detective

In a previous post it was said that the two piers art Yarmouth had the same names as 2 pubs in Whitechapel (with Miller's Court in between them).
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
In a previous post it was said that the two piers art Yarmouth had the same names as 2 pubs in Whitechapel (with Miller's Court in between them).
Hi,

yes, I do belive he wrote that one to. He was sitting at the pub that night waiting for the stupid police to come in and search for him. He did not write the exact adress of the murder scene but chose one just opposite the street to get the police to go looking there.

Now you see what I mean when I say one of his grand motives was to humiliate the police.

This type of language is what I define as metaphorical language. He uses it several times in his communication with the police.

Regards Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 11-15-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The letter gives the street adress and both room numbers of Mary and Elizabeth in metaphorical style and it gives a hint at Tennyson.

Tennyson wrote the drama Queen Mary and the drama includes Elizabeth as well as the Lord Mayor.
Now let's see if I've got this right.

The letter does not mention the name 'Mary' in any form of language, metaphorical or otherwise.

What it does is 'hint' at Tennyson and because it hints at Tennyson you immediately think of the drama Queen Mary which then makes you think of Mary Jane Kelly.

And because the drama also includes Queen Elizabeth you think of Elizabeth Prater and because it also includes the Lord Mayor you think of Lord Mayor's Day which is 9 November 1888.

Am I fairly summarising your thinking here?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Now let's see if I've got this right.

The letter does not mention the name 'Mary' in any form of language, metaphorical or otherwise.

What it does is 'hint' at Tennyson and because it hints at Tennyson you immediately think of the drama Queen Mary which then makes you think of Mary Jane Kelly.

And because the drama also includes Queen Elizabeth you think of Elizabeth Prater and because it also includes the Lord Mayor you think of Lord Mayor's Day which is 9 November 1888.

Am I fairly summarising your thinking here?
Well, since you havenīt got all the information abuot this letter, the summarising of my thinking is not sufficient. It is of course my own fault since I havenīt given you the total content of the letter. Sorry about that. But there are some bits that I canīt reveal yet. Even though this letter is not part of my theory. I would just say that it confirms it, if he did write it.

Regard Pierre
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well, since you havenīt got all the information abuot this letter, the summarising of my thinking is not sufficient.
So what is preventing you from summarising it more accurately?