Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 3 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Spider 15 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 51 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 55 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 58 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (55 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (39 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (5 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Photographs and Drawings - (1 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Commisioner

Default The Mysterious Dr Gabe

Or perhaps not so mysterious.

Following on from the discussion in the broken window thread, please see:

http://www.orsam.co.uk/themysteriousdrgabe.htm
Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Sergeant

Interesting find, thanks.

Over at JtrForums some researchers have discovered, Mary Kelly"s "guest" Maria Harvey had a child and that might be the source of the newspaper stories.
Specifically Barnett's "had a little boy ... living with her".

"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman

Last edited by drstrange169 : 11-02-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
Specifically Barnett's "had a little boy ... living with her".
Yes, but Dusty, Barnett didn't say that MJK had a little boy living with her. The supposed quotation you have given derives from the misleading way the Star newspaper presented its report on 10 November.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Sergeant

Yes, bad sentence construction on my part. I was referring to the story itself rather than Barnett making it.

"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Chief Inspector

^ Actually Debra A. found that Maria had two young sons, one born in 1882 and the younger in 1884. Where these two young boys were at the time of Mary's murder and a little before, when Maria was sharing Kelly's room, is a mystery.

William, the elder boy, was run over by a cart in June of 1888 and conveyed to the London Hospital. At that time he was living in Dorset Court off Dorset St, though whether he was with his mother at that address or with some other relative or family friend isn't known.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
^ Actually Debra A. found that Maria had two young sons, one born in 1882 and the younger in 1884. Where these two young boys were at the time of Mary's murder and a little before, when Maria was sharing Kelly's room, is a mystery.

William, the elder boy, was run over by a cart in June of 1888 and conveyed to the London Hospital. At that time he was living in Dorset Court off Dorset St, though whether he was with his mother at that address or with some other relative or family friend isn't known.
Run over by a cart? What was the cause of this accident (if you know)?

Jeff
Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Superintendent

Quote:

Thanks Rosella.
Just to put this a little more in context; It was you mentioning that a John Harvey age 6 of Dorset Ct Dorset St was run over in June 1888 according to Lloyds Newspaper that triggered my memory of the Maria Harvey I had looked at in the records a long tme back but couldn't locate her anywhere else except the workhouse and creed records for St George East.

No other maria Harvey I'd looked at seemed to fit but this one was a similar age and status to MJK (destitute) and had two children with her. The oldest, John was born in 1882 and si I thought he could be a possible fit for the Dorset Court John, id hi mother Maria was the same woman MJK knew, of course. There was also a son named William born 1884.

There isn't much record of the family after 1890. John was sent to a Roman catholic School in between workhouse stays until his mother collected him.
It's a suggestion of a link, but needs a lot more work. Wolf vanderlinden kindly posted the newspaper article that said the child mentioned on other news reports was actually the son of a woman who had been staying with MJK (something like that, please don't lynch me if I haven't got that exact)
Old 11-03-2015, 02:10 AM
Chief Inspector

^ Thank you very much, Debra. It was John, not William, my bad! I wonder why Maria and William Harvey drop out of census and other records. Death for either or both, a marriage for Maria, perhaps?

Sorry, Jeff, just a brief mention in Lloyds newspaper that John Harvey aged six had been knocked over by a cart in Commercial Road and taken to the London hospital. It probably wasn't unusual in those days, unsupervised young children playing among the carts and dashing about in the traffic.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Commisioner

The little boy, to the extent he existed, is only relevant to this thread if he was living/staying with MJK during the night of 8/9 November. As to that, the notion that Barnett said there was a boy living with MJK having been comprehensively debunked, there is no credible evidence or reason to believe it. And where could such a boy possibly have been when MJK was being murdered? No child living or staying with MJK during the night of 8/9 November means no Dr Gabe attending because of that child, which is all I am really saying.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Inspector

Quote:
^ Thank you very much, Debra. It was John, not William, my bad! I wonder why Maria and William Harvey drop out of census and other records. Death for either or both, a marriage for Maria, perhaps?

Sorry, Jeff, just a brief mention in Lloyds newspaper that John Harvey aged six had been knocked over by a cart in Commercial Road and taken to the London hospital. It probably wasn't unusual in those days, unsupervised young children playing among the carts and dashing about in the traffic.
Wonder if Maria Harvey could have been the pinchin torso? There is record of her after that right?