Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Cutbush, Superintendent Charles Henry: The Curtis Bennett Inquiry - by David Orsam 6 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Oh, murder! - by David Orsam 6 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Oh, murder! - by Pierre 15 minutes ago.
Cutbush, Superintendent Charles Henry: The Curtis Bennett Inquiry - by Abby Normal 24 minutes ago.
Cutbush, Superintendent Charles Henry: The Curtis Bennett Inquiry - by David Orsam 35 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: 1891 census BETHNAL GREEN POLICE STATION - by Sam Flynn 39 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - (31 posts)
Cutbush, Superintendent Charles Henry: The Curtis Bennett Inquiry - (22 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Oh, murder! - (19 posts)
General Police Discussion: 1891 census BETHNAL GREEN POLICE STATION - (9 posts)
Witnesses: 12:45 am - (7 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Ripper Street (season 5) last episode - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual

Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Detective

Default Jack The Ripper - Michael Caine

If my memory serves me correctly and it probably does not the Michael Caine version of Jack The Ripper was quite big in the Media back in 1988. I think I can remember reading that not even the actors knew what the outcome would be as various endings were filmed.

My question is are any of these endings available to see? Not sure if they were ever included as 'extras' on DVDs etc.... thanks.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
If my memory serves me correctly and it probably does not the Michael Caine version of Jack The Ripper was quite big in the Media back in 1988. I think I can remember reading that not even the actors knew what the outcome would be as various endings were filmed.

My question is are any of these endings available to see? Not sure if they were ever included as 'extras' on DVDs etc.... thanks.
Hi Geddy

First the movie "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Chief Inspector Abberline was a TV series not a movie made for theatrical release. Albeit it was a two-part series. The production is available on DVD from Amazon on a demand basis. Go here. I might be wrong but with the film dating from 1988, I doubt if the DVD has extras such as alternate endings. Perhaps someone else could address that question though.

Best regards

Chris
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Detective

The producer/writer David Wickes is featured on the Rippercast episode http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=140 he talks about the alternate endings but no one seems to ask who they featured or if they still exist.

I have to say it's a tad disappointing to hear that their whole premise for Gull being the Ripper was the sole fact Ackland signed his death certificate and are still happy with this conclusion 30 years on.

Wickes also laying into Joseph Sickert for talking crap when he has accused a dead man of ghastly, horrible, obscene murder because his son-in-law signed his death certificate is rather gulling....er I mean galling.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Last edited by DirectorDave : 10-06-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
Hi Geddy

First the movie "Jack the Ripper" starring Michael Caine as Chief Inspector Abberline was a TV series not a movie made for theatrical release. Albeit it was a two-part series.
I did not say it was a movie/film did I?

I can remember vividly watching it on ITV when it was released. Was never happy about the cart wheels changing into that vile face... eghhh.

I wonder if the endings were truly made or just to add to the hype..lol
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Inspector

Just trying to be a tad helpful here mate. I didn't know what your experience was with the original Michael Caine production but I was filling you in just in case you didn't know.
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Old 10-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
Just trying to be a tad helpful here mate. I didn't know what your experience was with the original Michael Caine production but I was filling you in just in case you didn't know.
You are more than helpful. I think I was about 17 or so when it aired and for some reason really got to me, fake horror I could watch all day with as much blood and guts as you like but 'true' horrific deeds always seem to cut me up for want of a better term.
I can remember trying to pause the VHS to see what was seen through Miller's Court window, it only flashed on for a very brief second.. lol Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Detective

Re the podcast and the other endings I too had the same thought Geddy.

A little search and I noticed there's a German Blu Ray release that has deleted scenes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I found a site with more info on the Blu Ray. 20 minutes of deleted scenes are included. The annoying thing is that it's what I call "fake widescreen". The original 4:3 aspect ratio has been cropped to fit the modern TV's widescreen 16:9 ratio. So it might be higher definition but it's not all there if the 4:3 picture is cropped.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...er_blu-ray.htm

I can't find info about the DVD release and if that includes the deleted scenes or not.

I can't help but think the other endings were probably still tied to the Gull story, rather than other suspects such as Druitt, Kosminski etc.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Detective

Hi Ozzy...thinking about the narrative and screentime I would imagine Lees, Mansfield, Ackland, Lusk, Llewellyn and possibly Netley were being set up as the also-rans.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Last edited by DirectorDave : 10-07-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:11 AM
Detective

Indeed it will not have been other 'suspects' as they were never mentioned in the production so I agree with DirectorDave that it will have been Lusk, Mansfield etc... you saw them all leaving a house etc just as they went to set up and catch 'Jack.'
Old 04-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Constable

A new Blu-ray just came out, and it is from UK publisher Network and the disc is Region B. Both the wide-screen and full-screen versions are included, and the video was remastered from the original negative, and it does look pretty good, but some shots' color temperature is a little off, IMO. English subtitles are available, and thanks to them, I finally know what the word "mucher" is (since all earlier DVD/Blu-rays do not have English subtitles). The director audio commentary from the old UK DVD is NOT included on this Blu-ray, sadly. A 22-minute bonus feature of deleted scenes is included, and it is the same content from the old UK DVD and the German Blu-ray mentioned earlier: several video-taped scenes with Barry Foster as Abberline before he was replaced by Michael Caine. There are no "alternate endings," folks, and I doubt we will ever see them. They may have been thrown away afterwards by the filmmakers. We would have seen them by now if copies still exist. They may not even have existed in the first place. The director might have shot the scenes with the camera turned off and the actors might not have even noticed. As long as he could fool the actors, he didn't need to actually shoot the scenes.