Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 28 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by GUT 40 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 58 minutes ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - by Pcdunn 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (40 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (14 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (14 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Constable

Default The name's Bond

Is it time to think the unthinkable and consider the possibility that Dr.Bond was JTR and the Torso killer?I've seen him mentioned before but it doesn't seem to have been taken seriously.Perhaps he has totally deceived us all .
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmore 77 View Post
Is it time to think the unthinkable and consider the possibility that Dr.Bond was JTR and the Torso killer?I've seen him mentioned before but it doesn't seem to have been taken seriously.Perhaps he has totally deceived us all .
Why, what evidence points to him?

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 AM
Inspector

Next thing someone will accuse Henry Sutton.

Henry the Ripper.....meh.....nope....next idiotic idea....Pierre!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:51 AM
Constable

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Next thing someone will accuse Henry Sutton.

Henry the Ripper.....meh.....nope....next idiotic idea....Pierre!!!
That'll be a no then! 1-0
Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Constable

Wouldn't it be the most delicious irony if the original criminal profiler was the most famous criminal in history?More research methinks
Old 12-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Wouldn't it be the most delicious irony if the original criminal profiler was the most famous criminal in history?More research methinks
interesting. How old was bond in 1888.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Why, what evidence points to him?
Not much ,but there are a few curiosities that make me think and I admit I'm only theorising but that's a lot of what this is about,right?
So,I posted on another thread that after Annie's inquest if I was JTR and I wanted more victims,I would have to disguise my surgical skills.But he can't quite do it in the case of Eddowes because of things like skirting round the umbilicus,removing the descending colon and invaginating the colon(if memory serves)
In Kelly's case he is doing the post mortem so he can 'write his own cheques',he's in a perfect position to mislead the police and by saying the killer didn't even possess the skills of a butcher he may be doing just that.He contradicts Phillips,who recognised the work of a medical man.
The organs were taken for a reason.Bond suffered from a stricture of the urethra thought to be caused by gonorrhea,he wrote papers on V.D.Is it a possibility that he harvested the organs of prostitutes for medical research?
He treated his pain with narcotics and it has been shown that drug use is often involved in violent crime
He gave up his job to work in the Austro-Prussian war because he wanted to witness field surgery and he was mentioned for bravery.One man's bravery is another man's reckless risk taking which is said to be a classic psychopathic trait.
Regarding the Torso killings,Bond worked at the Westminster Hospital which puts him at the right end of town,and of course just around the corner from the Norman Shaw buildings.
Also I was reading about a case he was involved in where a man was hanged on his testimony even though he admitted the reason he thought it was murder was a cut to the victims finger,otherwise it looked like suicide.Could it be evidence of pleasure taken in deciding this man's fate?Was it evidence of the classic psychopathic traits of power seeking and controlling?
I know I'll get a bit of flak but Bond is beautifully placed to interfere with the police and stay abreast of developments,he could be the man wearing the mask of sanity,in plain view.Just a thought
Old 12-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
In Kelly's case he is doing the post mortem so he can 'write his own cheques',he's in a perfect position to mislead the police and by saying the killer didn't even possess the skills of a butcher he may be doing just that.He contradicts Phillips,who recognised the work of a medical man.
One of us is making a huge mistake here

It's possible I may have misunderstood your post so let me just share with you the fact that Dr. Bond did not conduct the official autopsy, that was the purview of Dr. Phillips.
The official autopsy is what was referenced by the police, not the observations of Dr. Bond which you are quoting.

Dr. Bond was requested by Anderson, at Warren's behest, to analyze the wounds across the Whitechapel victims to see if there were evidence of an experienced hand at work.
While he was studying the autopsy reports of Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes & Stride, the murder of Mary Kelly occurred, which is why he was brought in at Millers Court on Friday afternoon.
Dr. Bond assisted Dr. Phillips on Saturday and with the concurrence of Dr. Phillips he made out his own post-mortem account of what he saw for Anderson.
This is the report that is often regarded the official report, but this is incorrect.

An 'autopsy' is a legally defined investigation conducted by the physician in charge of the case - this would be Dr. Phillips.

Whereas a 'post-mortem' is any inquiry into the physical remains of the body after death. There are no guidelines for a post-mortem, no legal definition, it can be as exhaustive or as brief as the conducting physician deems necessary.

Dr. Bond wrote a post-mortem report for Robert Anderson, it was for the eyes of no-one else except Anderson & Warren, it was not intended to supersede or replace the official autopsy conducted by Dr. Phillips.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Constable

Thanks Wickerman, I could well have deluded myself,it's easy to see what you want to see.He's an interesting character and may well be a paragon of virtue.I'd like to know more about him,cheers
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Thanks Wickerman, I could well have deluded myself,it's easy to see what you want to see.He's an interesting character and may well be a paragon of virtue.I'd like to know more about him,cheers
Hi Elmore.

I'm really only responding to the suggestion that Dr Bond was in a good position to deceive the police.
He could have deceived Anderson, but Swanson and the inspectors investigating the case had Dr Phillips autopsy to work with.

Anderson was certainly in a position to redirect the course of the investigation if he chose to do so, however not so easy if what he learned from Dr. Bond ran counter to the opinion of Dr. Phillips.