No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper. The Definitive Casebook by Richard Whittington-Egan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,I've treated myself to this on my kindle and it is is excellent the author gives every theory a fair shout and he applies something very rare in jtr books common sense ........buy this book.
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
      Hi all,I've treated myself to this on my kindle and it is is excellent the author gives every theory a fair shout and he applies something very rare in jtr books common sense ........buy this book.
      Sounds good pinkmoon. Looks like I know what I am going to purchase first with my new kindle.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Hello Phil

Belatedly I've just come across your critique again. Having now read the book through twice myself, (and briefly reviewed it on Amazon), I have to say that yours is one of the fairest and most honest reviews I've ever read...and I shall ever be grateful that it was your efforts finally convinced me to buy this book.

Reading between your lines, I agree it's not always the most free-flowing read in the world, the style sometimes seeming very fluid (almost light and humorous at times) and elsewhere less so...Unusually for me I had to read it a little at the time, leaving it for a few days to reflect, then returning to it...to me the fact I had the patience (twice!) to keep returning indicates it was one cracker of a read...

This is one of those books I think I'll be returning to time after time.

My only regret Phil is that you didn't bung a perhaps abbridged version of your review up on Amazon.co.uk - it'd be far better than my puny effort, and would probably reflect more fairly on the book

Thanks mate

Dave
        Hello Dave,

Lovely praise indeed and I feel humbled by your kind words. Thank you sir :-)

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello everyone.

I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to use my first post to say how much I have enjoyed this book.

I was convinced by the review on this thread and made this book one of my first purchases for my new kindle.

I am about 60% through it and it has definitely been time well spent.

Thanks Richard, for the great work you put into this edition!

Comment

Thanks for boosting this thread up again, Sam. It sounds like a good book to both refresh and update me on the cases, and I'll write down the title on my "for Kindle" list!

By the way, I would like to know which JtR overview book would be good to purchase for a community college library? We have a "law enforcement academy" (police officer training program) and a criminalistics course, so this topic is not totally off-the-mark. But there are so many JtR books, this librarian is a little puzzled. I'd prefer a fairly current overview, not a suspect book.
            Thank you in advance!
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

By the way, I would like to know which JtR overview book would be good to purchase for a community college library? We have a "law enforcement academy" (police officer training program) and a criminalistics course, so this topic is not totally off-the-mark. But there are so many JtR books, this librarian is a little puzzled. I'd prefer a fairly current overview, not a suspect book.
              Thank you in advance!
              I think The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion: An Illustrated Encyclopedia would be a good choice for something like a police training program.

I think this has all the police files that still exist.

You sure can't go wrong with:

1) Paul Begg's "The Facts"

2) Philip Sugden's " The Complete History Of Jack The Ripper"

3) Donald Rumbelow's "The Complete Casebook".

My favorite is Sugden.

Comment

Sam, thank you for the list!

I've recently read Rumbelow's updated book, and mean to get to the others as well. (I won't have an excuse if I buy it for the library...)
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Just finished reading The Definitive Casebook. A real gem of a book and takes a refreshing look at all of the theories and books which have popped up over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth1888 View Post
                    Just finished reading The Definitive Casebook. A real gem of a book and takes a refreshing look at all of the theories and books which have popped up over the years.
                    Yes..A little gem it certainly is. ☺

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                    X