Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by DirectorDave 55 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 3 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - by Busy Beaver 1 hour and 27 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (7 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (4 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The complete lack of resistance by every victim. Maybe half being too surprised to fight or scream I could see, but all of them? Not a single struggle? I mean maybe the bruises on Nichols face were from having her jaw forced up, but why aren't her hands torn up from trying to get free or fight back? It's like they were all brained with a frying pan first, except that of course they weren't.

That to me is by far the weirdest part.
Interesting point. some thoughts:

they were already incapacitated in some way-drunk, weak/ill, and or passed out/asleep.

He was very strong, quick and honed his technique to the point where he left little time for struggle before he subdued them.

But the asleep thing is getting me thinking:
what if, instead of the victims leading him to a secluded spot under the pretext for sex, he came upon them already asleep and attacked them then.

I think this works well for all them perhaps except stride and eddowes?

but works especially well for Kelly, tabram, chapman, Nichols and McKenzie?

Just throwing it out there to see what other people think??

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The complete lack of resistance by every victim. Maybe half being too surprised to fight or scream I could see, but all of them? Not a single struggle? I mean maybe the bruises on Nichols face were from having her jaw forced up, but why aren't her hands torn up from trying to get free or fight back? It's like they were all brained with a frying pan first, except that of course they weren't.

That to me is by far the weirdest part.
I concur with Abby re the "they were all a bit tired/drunk" etc., with the victims being rather more stupefied under a blitz attack abruptly severing their windpipes than they might have been a few hours earlier. It's crossed my mind that this might well have been his primary criterion for victim choice.

Perhaps the facial bruises offer a clue, as well - if he cut their throats swiftly from behind and then grabbed their faces to prevent screaming/struggling, I think I'd allow for shock (plus weariness/drunkenness) to prevent any obvious struggle.

The sleeping thing is interesting.. a new thought to ponder. But the same principle would apply, I think, as a blitz attack on an awake, yet impaired woman -- there'd be a moment or several of panic, perhaps. but by then her windpipe's already severed and he's tipped her backward and prone, to carry on with whatever, probably all of this in a matter of three or four seconds. Whatever adrenaline may kick in would barely have time register.

*Edit: but then, I'm wondering why all of the victims didn't have extremely bloody hands. If something happens to your throat, it's an instinct to reach up and protect it - and if there's blood gushing out surely it'd be all over said hands? So this makes me think that the tipping backwards thing was very rapid indeed and maybe .. what? He sat over them, pinning their arms, until they moved no more..?

It's an interesting aspect of the crimes to think about, for sure.

Last edited by Ausgirl : 04-19-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Sergeant

I understand Errata,s post. It,s more than just the lack of screaming or crying out. It,s what you should ,,expect,, to find if you encountered a victim with a slashed throat (ie. the struggle). You might expect a hand to be covered in blood (ok, Eliz, hand was) as it reached ip for the throat. Or claw marks on the neck trying to remove the kerchief. Or a broken jaw rendering the victim unconscious. Or broken fingernails. Or blood soaked and ripped clothes from a struggle. Or how each woman offers the appearance of dying in the spot she was attacked. It,s almost as though survivability was the last thing on these women,s minds, which is ofd in the case of Annie who was a fighter.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
I concur with Abby re the "they were all a bit tired/drunk" etc., with the victims being rather more stupefied under a blitz attack abruptly severing their windpipes than they might have been a few hours earlier. It's crossed my mind that this might well have been his primary criterion for victim choice.

Perhaps the facial bruises offer a clue, as well - if he cut their throats swiftly from behind and then grabbed their faces to prevent screaming/struggling, I think I'd allow for shock (plus weariness/drunkenness) to prevent any obvious struggle.

The sleeping thing is interesting.. a new thought to ponder. But the same principle would apply, I think, as a blitz attack on an awake, yet impaired woman -- there'd be a moment or several of panic, perhaps. but by then her windpipe's already severed and he's tipped her backward and prone, to carry on with whatever, probably all of this in a matter of three or four seconds. Whatever adrenaline may kick in would barely have time register.

*Edit: but then, I'm wondering why all of the victims didn't have extremely bloody hands. If something happens to your throat, it's an instinct to reach up and protect it - and if there's blood gushing out surely it'd be all over said hands? So this makes me think that the tipping backwards thing was very rapid indeed and maybe .. what? He sat over them, pinning their arms, until they moved no more..?

It's an interesting aspect of the crimes to think about, for sure.
Hi Ausgirl
because he killed them, or rendered them unconscious by strangling (or punching?)before he slit their throats.

The only one where there was a deviation in this was stride because of the circumstances and she did have blood on her hand-and I think he may have cut her throat while she was conscious and her hand did go instinctively to her throat.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Ausgirl
because he killed them, or rendered them unconscious by strangling (or punching?)before he slit their throats.
My main issues with that are 1/ in the case of a punch or blow hard enough to knock them cold, there'd be evidence of blunt force, surely? And 2/ strangling is a slow and arduous way of killing somebody, leaving time for the victim to struggle about. This is why I'm kind of convinced he took them down swiftly, from behind, and cut their throats either immediately before, during or after this act. Simply throwing a person suddenly off balance like that might have prevented them from struggling, for the split second it took to cut their wind-pipe through. He could, that way, have rendered them helpless or dead in a matter of a scant few seconds, which could explain the lack of struggle and blood on their hands - the simply hadn't the time to react, and being weary and/or drunk likely did not help matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
The only one where there was a deviation in this was stride because of the circumstances and she did have blood on her hand-and I think he may have cut her throat while she was conscious and her hand did go instinctively to her throat.
This one reason I love this forum so.. details like that pop up, which I'd never considered before.

The bloody hand could indeed indicate she was more alert or wary than other victims. It could also indicate a different killer, one that hadn't got JtR's super effective blitz technique down pat.. and thus, Liz had time and wherewithal to reach for her throat.

I'm thinking the 'sleeping' or catnapping idea is a good one to consider.. but where and in what position would have they done so, in the streets?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Detective

Quote:
My main issues with that are 1/ in the case of a punch or blow hard enough to knock them cold, there'd be evidence of blunt force, surely? And 2/ strangling is a slow and arduous way of killing somebody, leaving time for the victim to struggle about. This is why I'm kind of convinced he took them down swiftly, from behind, and cut their throats either immediately before, during or after this act. Simply throwing a person suddenly off balance like that might have prevented them from struggling, for the split second it took to cut their wind-pipe through. He could, that way, have rendered them helpless or dead in a matter of a scant few seconds, which could explain the lack of struggle and blood on their hands - the simply hadn't the time to react, and being weary and/or drunk likely did not help matters.

I agree with your issues. This might get a laugh but what about a blood choke, or if we must call it this- a sleeper hold? Apply pressure on the carotid artery and you go out in just a few seconds from behind, stay out for plenty of time for the throat cutting, would explain the most victims not reaching for their throats, it requires little physical strength and doesn't leave marks. Not saying that this is how it was done but it fits a lot better than some other ideas I've read.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Chief Inspector

I like the surprise immediate attack from behind and the pressing of the carotid artery ideas very much. However, the women's clothing of the era is a bit of a problem. Would a (high) stiff collar plus, in some places a silk neckerchief as well, pose an obstacle to hard pressure by fingers?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyrand View Post
I agree with your issues. This might get a laugh but what about a blood choke, or if we must call it this- a sleeper hold? Apply pressure on the carotid artery and you go out in just a few seconds from behind, stay out for plenty of time for the throat cutting, would explain the most victims not reaching for their throats, it requires little physical strength and doesn't leave marks. Not saying that this is how it was done but it fits a lot better than some other ideas I've read.
But why would he need plenty of time for the throat cutting? It was the mutilation he spent time on, and this was obviously his goal.. I tend toward thinking the dispatch of the victims was all about brevity, making them dead as quickly as possible so he could get on with it. Having their throats cut down to the bone would pretty much preclude any chance of a struggle, I think.

I'm having a total brain fart over who may have had signs of strangulation during autopsy, and who did not. But that's worth looking into for clues about this aspect of the crime.. keeping in mind that strangulation is slow, but something along the lines of what you're describing is not (and neither is throat-cutting).
Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
I like the surprise immediate attack from behind and the pressing of the carotid artery ideas very much. However, the women's clothing of the era is a bit of a problem. Would a (high) stiff collar plus, in some places a silk neckerchief as well, pose an obstacle to hard pressure by fingers?
I think it's a plausible idea too. And it wouldn't necessarily require direct finger pressure on the carotid. I recall a thread where someone posted accounts of gangs who 'garrotted' victims with an arm squeezed around the neck from behind.

I'm not sure that a stiff collar would always be protection either, it might even help restrict blood supply under some circumstances - didn't Dr Bond suggest that Rose Mylett was 'strangled' simply by pressure from her own collar?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Detective

Quote:
I'm having a total brain fart over who may have had signs of strangulation during autopsy, and who did not.
Nichols and Chapman. Nobody else.