Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by DirectorDave 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - by Busy Beaver 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by David Orsam 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (7 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (4 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
That's generous.

I don't rate them that high.
Reminds me of a quote from Speaker of the House Thomas "Czar" Reed (creator of "Reed's Rules", which still govern the U.S. House of Representatives). A master of the aphoristic put-down, he once was talking to a friend about two below par Congressmen he had to listen to in his position in the House. "Every time they open their mouths," Reed said, "they subtract from the total of human knowledge!"

Sounds like anyone we know?

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Reminds me of a quote from Speaker of the House Thomas "Czar" Reed (creator of "Reed's Rules", which still govern the U.S. House of Representatives). A master of the aphoristic put-down, he once was talking to a friend about two below par Congressmen he had to listen to in his position in the House. "Every time they open their mouths," Reed said, "they subtract from the total of human knowledge!"

Sounds like anyone we know?

Jeff
I'd agree but he likes me and thinks I'm capable of intelligent discussion and if I agree he might put me on the naughty list.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Commisioner

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that Pierre's theory is almost entirely dependent on his subjective interpretation of metaphorical language contained in communications sent, purportedly, by the killer.

Now some of these communications he claims have a "low validity". However, clearly not the communication, or "data source", that is the subject of this thread: despite the suspect's name appearing in only metaphorical form Pierre confidently asserts: "There is now hardly any doubt. I must have found him."

Is that a reasonable assessment? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Chief Inspector

It probably is. I've long since lost the plot about what Pierre means about anything. It's like trying to grasp a handful of mist. I just wish he'd stop with the metaphorical nonsense and the pseudo-intellectual BS and state what he actually means in his epistles in plain everyday English.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Superintendent

Default Hook, line, and sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post

Is that a reasonable assessment? Or am I missing something?
What you, and all the others who are taking part in the discussions pertaining to Pierre's theory are missing is that he's leading you all up the garden path ! He's doing a very good job of it too. You are all firmly planted in his top pocket.

Some posters contributing to this masterly wind up, have contributed hundreds of posts ! Hundreds for goodness sake.

I reiterate, a mastery performance, Monsiuer Pierre.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
What you, and all the others who are taking part in the discussions pertaining to Pierre's theory are missing is that he's leading you all up the garden path ! He's doing a very good job of it too. You are all firmly planted in his top pocket.

Some posters contributing to this masterly wind up, have contributed hundreds of posts ! Hundreds for goodness sake.

Really? You think dear Pierre might not be completely legitimate? Of course, it is possible that I'd determined that as having a high validity probability-oh no, I'm descending into Pierre-speak-from his very first post.

Nonetheless, I must confess that I do find some of his posts quite amusing at times, particularly the pseudo-intellectual techno/psychobabble, which is why I guess I'm such a willing participant! Perhaps not the purist of motives on my account, but there you go...

Anyway, he might possibly have a properly historically researched theory...well, a kind of Erich Von Daniken, pseudo-historical kind of theory.

Last edited by John G : 01-05-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Cadet

Quote:
a kind of Erich Von Daniken, pseudo-historical kind of theory.
Or Graham Hancock, or David Irving.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookingpot View Post
Or Graham Hancock, or David Irving.
Well, of course there was a time when David Irving was considered to be a serious historian; even Hugh Trevor Roper once wrote, "no praise can be to too high for his indefatigable, scholarly industry." Although he did express severe doubts about his methodology-and it's now known that he seriously overestimated German casualties during the bombing of Dresden. And, of course, this also raised serious concerns about his motives.

Christopher Hitchens also came to his defence a few years ago- regarding his legitimacy as a serious historian- on an American TV broadcast. Of course, all of this was before he was proved in court to be a holocaust denier...

Last edited by John G : 01-05-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Really?
Most definately. As I said, a masterly performance.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

I am willing to consider not to pay attention to Pierre, and to go my own way, except I wonder how you can be so sure that if we ignore him Pierre will stop. My suspicion is that he won't.

He is such an egotist that he'll consider (if we all stop paying attention to him) that he has scared us off, and that he is our superior in intellect and attainments. And don't forget, he has several acolytes and beginners on these threads who will continue paying attention to his points, doing research he needs, and expounding his wisdom to the rest of us. He is actually in a good win position if we leave him in control of his fields.

I don't think he'll ever get his final piece of the puzzle. If he does get something he'll seek something further. Like the inventor of that typesetting machine that Mark Twain invested in, who always had some new adjustment to it to improve it's performance. It was called the "Paige Typesetter" (Paige was it's inventor). In the end, after Twain spent thousands of dollars in hoping the typesetter was ready to be manufactured, Otto Merganthaler came along with a simpler, easier machine that became the prototype in the printing industry.

Twain was ruined in part due to the Paige Typesetter. However I don't think "Pierre" need to worry about that happening.

Jeff