A question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question!

I have a question. Do works of fiction written about Jack the Ripper outnumber works of non-fiction?
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

G'day Helana

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    I have a question. Do works of fiction written about Jack the Ripper outnumber works of non-fiction?
    Just did a quick search on library catalogue and it looks like fiction, just
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

How do you define a work of fiction in Ripperology?

Comment

G'day Lechmere

I wondered the same thing, but ended up just taking the library's classifications, there are however a number of non-fiction that in my opinion should be in fiction.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          Haha yes, very sharp. I didn't think of THAT interpretation of my question when I dashed it off without really thinking it through.

But on reflection, you have a good point and I am thinking, would I class R. Michael Gordon's four books on Chapman as fiction or non fiction?

(BTW did I tell anyone, I have discovered he is a Californian dentist? He even has a Facebook page.)

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Who? Chapman?

Comment

Who? Chapman?
              Gordon.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                But on reflection, you have a good point and I am thinking, would I class R. Michael Gordon's four books on Chapman as fiction or non fiction?
                To Helena

I have only read one of R. Michael Gordon's books The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London but it could be viewed as fiction. His claim that Chapman was Jack the Ripper and the Torso Killer is fanciful at best.

Cheers John

Comment

You look at the book's cover, and if it says "Non-Fiction", there's a 50% chance that it isn't
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    You look at the book's cover, and if it says "Non-Fiction", there's a 50% chance that it isn't
                    Of course - why did I not think of that!

You are at least fifty per cent serious, are you not?

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                      Of course - why did I not think of that!

You are at least fifty per cent serious, are you not?

The best,
                      Fisherman
                      You can't even depend on that good old stand-by the bibliography. I have a book about the murders in Kansas in the 1870s by the Bender Family at their roadside inn. It is a novel. It has the best bibliography on that case I ever saw.

So, apparently did "Prince Jack" by Spierling. And that was supposed to be the book to prove Prince Eddy and James Stephen did the crimes.
                      Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X