This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    Apologies to all, it was my fault for bringing up the subject of Lechmere/ Cross.
    Kudos John, thank you.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      [ATTACH]14522[/ATTACH]
      Don't worry, when we widen the road at this junction we'll sweep him up. He's about where the new carriageway is going to be so we'll have to at least push him to one side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        The other day I was driving down Whitechapel Road when I noticed a fellow human being lying flat on his back, in broad daylight, near the corner with Vallance Road.
        He was probably trying to break a bar of chocolate in his back trouser pocket.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          He was probably trying to break a bar of chocolate in his back trouser pocket.
          You a Chick Murray fan Stephen?

Monty
          Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
            You a Chick Murray fan Stephen?

Very well spotted, Monty. I saw the great man tell that joke on TV in the 60s and it stuck in my mind. Are you 20 years older than you look? A more recent variant of the same joke is where Rab Nesbitt is lying in the gutter and asked if he is drunk says that he is just saving a parking space for his wife.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• My Good Monty
              I do hope you have not banned me from this thread for my impure contribution.
              Yours
              The baddie

Comment

• Stephen,

No but my Mother is Scots so I've been kinda bought up on him.

Oh dear Edward,

You are hyper sensitive today aren't you?

Have I mentioned you or your post? Let me make it easy for you....the answer is no. Merely put in a simple request to keep this thread free from all the suspect debate which plagues other ones.

So really no need for the defensive attitude. I honestly didn't think I make you that jumpy.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

• Not the East End, but here is Bruton Place, formerly Bruton Mews. Annie Chapman and her husband once resided here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bruton place mews irfan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	664268

Observer

Comment

• Spitalfields Weaver

I came across this old photo of a Spitalfields weaver at work. He must have been one of the last.

I saw two different dates for the photo, 1885 and 1895. Does anybody know which is correct? I wonder if it might be a bit older than that.

I thought the photo was interesting because histories of the East End always mention that the old 18th C. Spitalfields houses had large upper-story windows to provide light for the weavers, and this pic shows one of the windows in use with the sunlight streaming in.

Best regards,
                    Archaic
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Irish Weaver In Spitalfields?

I'm wondering if the weaver shown in the photo posted above might be an Irish weaver rather than one descended from French Huguenots?

I got the idea because the two small pictures on the wall above the door appear to be images of Jesus and Mary, possibly images of the Sacred Heart. This suggests the weaver depicted is a Catholic, whereas the Huguenots were Protestants.

Apparently Irish weavers started arriving in Spitalfields after the Huguenots, c. 1730 or so. The weaving industry in Spitalfields was flagging in the 19th C., and went into a dramatic decline c. 1860 when a new treaty with France allowed cheaper French woven goods to flood the market. I don't know when the last of the old-time weavers left Spitalfields, but I'm guessing that some of them must have hung on in increasing poverty.

Perhaps this photo was taken closer to the 1860's-1870's rather than c. 1885-1895? It reminds me of the work of 1870's photographers like John Thomson.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks,
                      Archaic

Comment

• Great Picture Archaic ,

Is the profile Sketch on the wall his ol lady in her younger days perhaps ? looks kinda similar .

Maybe even sketched by a walter Sickert

moonbegger .

Comment

• That is, indeed, a great photo, Bunny. Great example of the use of these distinct windows in many of the buildings in the area. Of course, No. 29 Hanbury St. had been occupied by weavers at one time.

Yes, the trade had fallen off considerably in the area by the mid 19th century for the reasons you have stated. I went through my research files on Dr. Phillips as I recalled some of his neighbors still in the millinery business. There was a Samuel England at 15 Spital Square in 1881 listed as a silk manufacturer and several children in households listed as apprentices in silk weaving. What was left by then seem to still be in the neighborhood of their origin in the Norton Folgate area and just east of there.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Hi everyone. I would like to know where and when this could have been taken.
                            Last edited by Matfelon; 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Sorry, those i meant:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Part 2:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X