Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swanson's notes on Stride's murder

Hi,

I was recently looking at Swanson's report on Stride's murder, and saw that one section of his margin notes (he can't seem to leave the margin alone) is scribbled out. Has anyone deciphered this? I've had a go and it seems to mention 1.35am twice, the other words would take longer to work out. Just wondered if anyone had already done this and could save me the time.

"We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Originally posted by Hamrammr View Post
    Hi,

I was recently looking at Swanson's report on Stride's murder, and saw that one section of his margin notes (he can't seem to leave the margin alone) is scribbled out. Has anyone deciphered this? I've had a go and it seems to mention 1.35am twice, the other words would take longer to work out. Just wondered if anyone had already done this and could save me the time.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psnv6thvxu.jpg
    I get some other words... I think the first sentence is something like

---- ----- back to back began at 1:35 and by that time the ----- ---- ---- ---- murdered.

And that's all I can get without actual study. Probably not helpful. And it might not be "back to back" but just "--- to back."
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I had a go at this some months ago, but lost interest

I chose to erase the loops with the background colour, or as near as I could get.
      Once that was done then you would be left with partial letters that can be interpreted by simply standing back and squinting.

I didn't finish the process though..

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        I had a go at this some months ago, but lost interest

I chose to erase the loops with the background colour, or as near as I could get.
        Once that was done then you would be left with partial letters that can be interpreted by simply standing back and squinting.

I didn't finish the process though..

Jon, I tried your method of trying to decipher it, and here's my attempt.

And when I squint, I think I can read the first paragragh as something like this... "(This) (I) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (….) had (…..) (definitely) murder."
        Attached Files
        Cheers,
        Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          Jon, I tried your method of trying to decipher it, and here's my attempt.

And when I squint, I think I can read the first paragragh as something like this... "(This) (I) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (….) had (…..) (definitely) murder."
          I read that 1st bit o be

"Thus it's said to have been at 1:35"

I'll be back when I've nutter on it a bit further.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The world?? Had (two words I think) murder

Or possibly

He would had (have at a stretch).......... Murder.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

It might help to grasp the context if we knew what portion of the report this marginal notes was connected to.

"This is said to have been at 1.35" seems to flow, but with reference to what?

Maybe Hamrammr can help us out here?

Thats a reasonable attempt Pandora, you might have got the gist of that first bit.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                I read that 1st bit o be

"Thus it's said to have been at 1:35"

I'll be back when I've nutter on it a bit further.
                Yes that makes more sense, how's this?

(Thus) (it’s) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (scoundrel) had (…..) (definitely) murder.
                Cheers,
                Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  It might help to grasp the context if we knew what portion of the report this marginal notes was connected to.

"This is said to have been at 1.35" seems to flow, but with reference to what?

Maybe Hamrammr can help us out here?

Thats a reasonable attempt Pandora, you might have got the gist of that first bit.
                  Thanks Jon, I did it in rather a rush, so I'll have another crack at tidying it up when I get time.

Your question is a good one, it would be good to know the context of what the surrounding text was referring to.
                  Cheers,
                  Pandora.

Comment

The world?? Had (two words I think) murder

Or possibly

He would had (have at a stretch).......... Murder.
                    I think the last letter on the 3rd line is a "y" so something ending with that I think. I may be grasping at straws with "definitely" though.
                    Cheers,
                    Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                      I think the last letter on the 3rd line is a "y" so something ending with that I think. I may be grasping at straws with "definitely" though.
                      I thought possibly or probably.
                      G U T

Comment

I thought possibly or probably.
                        There's no down stroke for the 'p' though. How about "disorderly"?
                        Cheers,
                        Pandora.

Comment

What about difficulty?
                          G U T

Comment

What about difficulty?
                            Definitely maybe. I can see the 2 'ff''s but the spacing of the other letters doesn't seem to work.

If anyone has a link to a high definition version of the original photo, I can have a better go at clearing out the scribble.
                            Cheers,
                            Pandora.

Comment

Hi,

I did get several words out of my first attempt but I was rushing. I'll have another go later and we can compare notes. I used the basic Microsoft Paint package and found a colour very similar to the paper so overlaid the scribble. It is tricky in some places though. When I get home later I'll try and get a higher definition image and will also reproduce the entire page it relates to.

I have a feeling 1.35am is relevant to the Eddowes murder too, but can't confirm at the mo.

Thanks!
                              "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X