Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why weren't there any killings in October 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

From the Times commenting on the use of bloodhounds

"The morning trial was reported to be a much better one for scenting purposes than had been Monday's trials. In all, half a dozen runs were made, with Sir Charles Warren himself twice acting as the hunted man. In every instance, the dogs hunted persons who were complete strangers to them. The Times for 10th October reported that Sir Charles expressed satisfaction at the result of these trials."

The trials took place on the 4th October, could the perpetrator of the Whitechapel atrocities have been wary of possible capture by bloodhound

all the best

Observer

Comment

Hi all
      Remember the fact that he now went from killing outdoor to indoor (probably to get more time for his mutilatons). This is an importon change, and my guess is that he used october to plan this.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRippel View Post
        Hi all
        Remember the fact that he now went from killing outdoor to indoor (probably to get more time for his mutilatons). This is an importon change, and my guess is that he used october to plan this.
        Hi,

Again, I believe he killed Kelly indoors just by chance. Kelly worked from her room and she took him there. I do not believe he used the whole month of October to plan an indoor killing.

I think the increased police patrols and local residents who also took up the chase made it difficult for him to play his funny little games.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

Again, I believe he killed Kelly indoors just by chance. Kelly worked from her room and she took him there
          Possibly, Brad.

But if that wasn't the case, and Kelly was the victim of an intruder (or perhaps a visitor), it wouldn't have required a month's planning to pull it off.

Best regards,
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
            Possibly, Brad.

But if that wasn't the case, and Kelly was the victim of an intruder (or perhaps a visitor), it wouldn't have required a month's planning to pull it off.

Best regards,
            Ben
            Hi Ben,

Possibly, Ben.

I agree Ben, it would not have required a month of planning to kill Kelly even if the Ripper was an intruder or a visitor.

Your friend, Brad
            Last edited by celee; 06-06-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

There was a certain schedule that Jack worked to - weekends and public holidays. Obviously this has led people to believe he was in full time employment. So I do think he was able to curb and plan his attacks if he absolutely had to. I think either his circumstances at work changed during October - maybe he had to work weekends temporarily. Or perhaps he lied low for a few weeks to observe the new escalation in police presence, to see how many new coppers were on the beat and where it took them.
              Last edited by Elias; 06-06-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

The Whitehall Mystery took place Oct. 3, 1888, although few attribute this kill to Jack's canon.
                All my blogs:
                MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

october

i haven't exactly heard of a theory for that but since the killings mostly took place between friday and Sunday some people think JtR had a (decent?) secure job and that would give him excuses for skipping October.

1- he was also just a human being. he could have been sick.
                  2- he couldn't find his victim (maybe he liked killing in order?)
                  3-he was fired from the job and had to search for a new one (he had to pay his victims!)
                  4- He simply thought that he needed a break.
                  5- He was satisfied enough to take a break
                  6- It was just too much fun for him to see the police and prostitutes freaking out

those are just some random excuses. he was only a human being so tecnically he could have chosen one

Comment

Originally posted by mikey559 View Post
                    ...could "Jack" have been in another area at this time. Paris maybe? Ireland maybe?
                    He was in Bavaria for Oktoberfest.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi All,

One slightly more controversial idea that I have heard bandied around, is that if Mary Kelly was his last intended victim, he had wait for the opportunity to get her on her own.

Joe had only very recently left Mary and may well have been sleeping in her bed every night until the end of October Julia and or Maria Harvey were there at other times The night of Friday the 9th might have been the first opportunity he had to kill her.

Not saying I subscribe to the theory, although it's an interesting one. My best guesses are:

That he could only get away at certain times of the month - or was out of the country

That he had a dose of something fairly unpleasant that kept him tucked up with his hot water bottle.

That the police presence was a bit off putting to kill on the streets, and the kind of women he picked as victims were the most vulnerable that didn't have a room of their own, so he was a bit ***gered.

That he had been spotted by Lawende and stayed off the streets in case he got collared.

That he did try to kill a victim, but she got lucky and wasn't exactly going to let anyone know that she had seen JtR.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
                      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

october 31 is halloween. it would make sense that he would kill on that night but he didn't and I wonder why maybe because security would be tighter than usual.

or maybe he didn't kill in october because the women were staying low and that is why he had to take a different tactic and surprise someone at home like mary kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by rain View Post
                          october 31 is halloween.
                          They don't go in for Hallowe'en in Blighty, do they? I thought the (more or less) equivalent was Guy Fawkes Day on November 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            They don't go in for Hallowe'en in Blighty, do they?
                            It's bigger these days, but only after the USA had turned it into "extortion for kids" Before then, Hallowe'en was celebrated in Britain in a comparatively low-key manner, with jack-o-lanterns (made from swedes or turnips rather than pumpkins) and bobbing, or "ducking", for apples floating in a tub of water. That said, I doubt very much that many traditional festivals were observed by the majority of the East End (British) poor, other than Christmas.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

He was making a movie in Leeds.
                              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by CraigInTwinCities View Post
                                The Whitehall Mystery took place Oct. 3, 1888, although few attribute this kill to Jack's canon.
                                Just to be accurate, the Torso was discovered Oct 3rd, and had likely been created in August or early Sept. So it doesnt fit the missing activity period, from October 31, until the morning of Nov 9th. The 10 day kill zone. 2 kills usually, only one in London for Oct/Nov period. I agree with Elias,....I think the Holidays and Weekends are relevant, and might he be out of town when there are none.... might there be a victim elsewhere in England or abroad during that 10 day Oct/Nov window? There is a letter pointed out recently to me by Dan, regarding the Heart component in Marys murder, and some of the literature its mentioned in. If you havent, you should read the dissertation,...I believe its called Heartless....anyway, in this letter the killer threatens to kill two more women and a child...and take hearts.

I wonder if another murder could be found that might meet the Ripper criteria within that quiet 10 days. Maybe with a heart taken. Europe?

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                                X