Limerick, the Key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Debs

In 1891 John Tutton is at 23 North Church St, Cardiff with Lily and Jessie and Jessie's husband James Pomeroy. He's a widower. There is a Mary Tutton death in 1882 but it's in Somerset. Maybe the couple paid a visit to John's birth county.

Comment

• In 1871 his wife's there, but John's missing! Maria L Tutton, 36, with children John, Jessy, George and Lillie at 15 Maria St, Cardiff. Maria Louisa Tutton's death registered Q1 1873 Cardiff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
        In 1871 his wife's there, but John's missing! Maria L Tutton, 36, with children John, Jessy, George and Lillie at 15 Maria St, Cardiff. Maria Louisa Tutton's death registered Q1 1873 Cardiff.
        Thanks, Robert!

Comment

• A list of any Davies or other common welsh surnames such as Roberts,Jones etc that Barnett could have mixed up with Davies ;-) that died in mine disasters between 1878 and 1883 and were between 18 and 29 where ages are given.I've ignored any that appear too old or have too many children but if they seem young enough and had one or two have included them.
          If Kelly and or Barnett were truthful then chances are our man is on this list.
          It is not a complete list as only disasters where there were 5 or more deaths are covered but most coal mining explosions would result in more than 4 deaths due to the nature of underground explosions
          Also a 21 year old John McCarthy out of interest

bersham 1880 Wrexham
          Thomas Evans

bedwellty 1880 tredegar
          Thomas Jones

Brynmally Wrexham 1878
          Ishmael Davies 28
          John Davies 20

Dinas Rhondda 1879
          Edward Davies 20
          Joseph Evans 18
          William Evans 27
          John Griffiths 21
          John Griffiths 30
          Wiliam Jones 26
          William Roberts 28

coedcae Pontypridd 1882/1883
          jacob Thomas
          William Jones 32 of Lincoln Street,Cymmer

Naval Pen y Craig 1880
          Charles Davies Married,2 children.Tal y fedw
          Evan Davies
          John Davies
          D Evans
          Evan Jones
          Thomas Jones ,Pen y Craig
          Thomas H Jones
          David Thomas
          John Thomas ,Ffwrdamos
          Morgan Thomas 25 Wattstown
          Thomas Thomas ,Waungraig
          Griffith Williams
          David Williams ,Heolfach

New Duffryn,Rhymney 1883
          Elias Thomas 24
          David Evans 23
          Edward Price 24

Prince of Wales ,Abercarn September 1878
          Alfred Davies 18
          Daniel Davies 24
          David Davies 21
          Edward Davies 23
          James Davies 29
          William Davies 18
          David Evans 21
          Gwilym Evans 18
          John Evans 24
          Thomas Evans 22
          David Griffiths 26
          Joseph Jones 25
          William Jones 20
          William Jones 26
          John McCarthy 21
          David Thomas 21
          David Thomas 24
          William Thomas 28
          Henry Williams 22
          Richard Williams 28
          John Williams 22

Risca new mine,Waunfawr Caerphilly 1880
          James Davies 18 Assistant Mason
          Charles Edwards
          Daniel Edwards
          Thomas Edwards 24 labourer
          James Jones 20 Haulier
          John Jones 27 Stower
          Philip Jones 26 Timberman
          Thomas Jones 25 Haulier

Weigfach Fforestfach 1877
          Henry Jones 27 Labourer Pencader,Carmarthen.Wife and 1 child

Western moor Neath april 1878 but no names
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• 1881 Census Roath Glamorgan

Mary Kelly a launderess
            born 1853 Brighton

Inmate at House for Fallen Roman Catholic Women

Cant find her elsewhere
            Pat................

Comment

• One newspaper at the time quoted the surname as Davids.

Comment

• In the 1881 UK Census, Catherine Mitchell is shown as the Aunt of one Mary Kelly, age 18, and a housekeeper by profession.

Catherine was born in 1831 in Ireland (don't know what part yet) and was the daughter of Patrick Kelly (Laborer). She married John Mitchell on 10-2-1852 and was married to him until he disappears by the time Mary shows up in the Census. He probably died. Could this be one of the relatives of Mary Kelly that were suggested as living in London? The residence location of Catherine in 1881 was Shoreditch.

So now the trick is to locate Catherine's brothers. One of them spawned the niece of Catherine - the Mary Kelly of the 1881 Census. If one of them is a John, that makes things more interesting.

Mary Kelly"s in England in 1881 are few and far between. This one is the right age, was born in Ireland and is living with her aunt in England around the right time frame and who may have been the London relative that had been mentioned at her death. Catherine Kelly can be traced to Patrick her father.
                I really believe this is a lead that should be followed..
                Last edited by SuspectZero; 03-08-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Wow! Just caught up with the latest on this thread. debs is amazing as usual, its really positive to see the contributions to the thread. I have been just investigating on the Kellys and Davies s at Homfrey St in my ''Brothel in Cardiff; thread, Its easier for me to focus on one aspect at a time and I am getting quite intrigued by that welsh Mary even though she was born in Wales. I still feel there is more to come out there.

Miss Marple

Comment

• Roots Ireland have just added more records for Limerick, both Roman and non Roman Catholic should anyone be interested.

Comment

• Thank you Busy Beaver. My last list had 95 born in Limerick in the approximate time range with only 6 ruled out. The difficulty is in getting a definite match with a later record.

Comment

• Suspect Zero
                        Catherine Mitchell was married to a Thomas not a John. In the 1871 census she is living in Boundary Place with husband Thomas age 41, a stone mason's labourer, she is 40 and their daughter Mary age 17. All three of them were born in Ireland. Thomas died in Shoreditch in Dec 1880 age 51. Their are also three labourers living with them also born in Ireland.
                        In 1881 census Catherine age 51 a widow living with niece Mary age 18 at Boundary Place and a couple of Irish labourer lodgers.
                        So they must have married in Ireland, have not traced it yet.

miss marple

Comment

Working...
                        X