No announcement yet.

Limerick, the Key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, you're assuming I would recognise 'normal' and that your flattery won't unleash the inner stalker in me?
    Oh Debs and there's me thinking (dreaming?) you were already too busy stalking me...

Disappointedly

Dave

Comment

I can assure everyone that if Debs was stalking them, they would know not a thing about it until one day out of the blue they were struck by an unerringly accurate doughnut.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Oh Debs and there's me thinking (dreaming?) you were already too busy stalking me...

Disappointedly

Dave
        Dave, you know full well I only have eyes for that old 'stick in the mud', Wickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I can assure everyone that if Debs was stalking them, they would know not a thing about it until one day out of the blue they were struck by an unerringly accurate doughnut.
          Yes Robert, I definitely wouldn't waste a perfectly good doughnut on someone I didn't like. For anyone else it's the stale, rock hard 3 day old bloomers!

Comment

I should explain to anyone who didn't know, that bloomers are a kind of bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              Dave, you know full well I only have eyes for that old 'stick in the mud', Wickers.
              Gasp.....
              And here's me thinking I could sneak into Leeds/Bradford for two weeks in May, and go unnoticed..

Alas, I'll be there for a funeral, not a happy time unfortunately.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                I should explain to anyone who didn't know, that bloomers are a kind of bread.
                As in: The bread is blooming. We Americans say 'rising', but 'blooming' makes sense too. So bloomers would be some sort of quickly rising buns with a yeasty odor then? Is that correct?

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Hi MM.
                  A few weeks ago I generated a list of all the men in the Scots Guards where the index gives their place of birth as Limerick between 1850 and 1870, or no place of birth is given in the index. I can expand the birthdate parameters later.

The list has 641 names and only one of those shows his place of birth in the index as Limerick, the rest are unknowns so to find the birthplace involves trawling through the whole file.

Generally this info would appear on the first page of the file but the reason so many of the birthplaces weren't indexed is because the bio sheet appears further in the file and is not the first page.

I'm half way through the list and still haven't come across any other man from Limerick apart from the one listed. If i do come across any more I'll post the details here.
                  Right, getting back to topic:
                  I've now looked at all the places of birth for this list of men, weeded out the ones serving in the 2nd battalion and found no other men born in Limerick,apart from the one I mentioned in another post.

Comment

I've now looked at all the places of birth for this list of men, weeded out the ones serving in the 2nd battalion and found no other men born in Limerick,apart from the one I mentioned in another post.
                    I think it was the same practice with the army as the navy and the merchant fleet that many men who joined up didnt always give their correct names

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                      I think it was the same practice with the army as the navy and the merchant fleet that many men who joined up didnt always give their correct names
                      Yes, Wickerman has already mentioned this. According to his figures 99% gave the correct name though.
                      And besides that we are looking for men of any name born in Limerick and serving in the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards, on this thread.

Comment

Just to clarify, that's men born 1850 to 1870 who's place of birth in the index was either blank or given as Limerick (the county) and in the Scots Guards. I then disregarded any that were in the 1st or 3rd battalion when I looked at their files.

Comment

Hi Debra

In your wonderful research have you ever found anybody born in Ireland with French
                          first names, like Marie instead of Mary? And were there very many Janes born in Ireland.

I always imagined Marie Jeanette was a prostitute trade name, a bit of Oo La La as the Brits say though this is actually pronounced Oh La La in France
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

In hindsight

We're assuming on this thread that Limerick may be the key...and as far as Mary Kelly's concerned that may well yet prove to be the case...but then we've gone off on a chase pursuing Mary Kelly's brother via a Limerick birthplace...

I may be wrong, but is there any evidence it's an older brother in the army? Might it not be a younger brother? And if so, shouldn't we also be looking in the regimental records for men born in Carmarthen/Caernavon/Cwmavon?

Admittedly there are several Welsh regiments (notably the 24th of Foot, only the South Wales Borderers from 1881 - not as "Zulu" would have it) but the Welsh Guards weren't actually formed until 1915, (and incidentally the Irish Guards 1900), so anybody going for a prestigious regiment might well have chosen the Grenadiers, Coldstreams or Scots Guards...

Just a thought

Dave

Comment

We can just as easily look for men born in Wales,Dave.
                              All anyone has to do is speak up with their idea.

Comment

Hi Debs

I thought I just did!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X