Favorite fictional early (before 1930) detective poll besides Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love The Saint, for sure.

Would adding "Raffles" to the list be stretching it a little? 'Cause I like Raffles too
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Magpie, there was a Raffles TV series in the early 70s starring Anthony Valentine.

Comment

Raffles.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Magpie, there was a Raffles TV series in the early 70s starring Anthony Valentine.
        Hi Robert, hi Magpie,

Thought that you might enjoy this website.

Raffles The Amateur Cracksman was written by E.W. Hornung, and was later made into a number of films, with Yorkshire TV producing a TV Series in the mid 70s. This page contains a biography of E.W. Hornung, plus some of Hornung's verse, images from the TV series and descriptions of Raffles films with summaries of the various actors who have played Raffles on film over the last 100 years. There is also an episode guide to the TV series and a biography of Anthony Valentine who played Rafles in the TV series. There is also an interesting links page.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Dashiell Hammett

I like to add Dashiell Hammetts Continental Op (several short stories between 1922-1934 and the novel Red Harvest) and Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon).
          Both Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon are among my favourite crime novels and John Hustons film The Maltese Falcon is one of two (the other is To Have and Have Not by Howard Hawks) favourite films with Humphrey Bogart).

kind regards
          Paul O'Henry

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela

Comment

I believe Dickens created a detective in one of his novels, perhaps it was Bleak House or little Dorritt, and i think his name was Bucket. I read somewhere he was the first fictional blood hound in English literature.
            SCORPIO

Comment

Yes, that has come up
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? THE SHADOW knows."

(Premiered 1930- does that count?)

Comment

I did consider the Shadow until I saw when he premiered. In some incarnations he's like a super hero but in some not. He is played pretty straight in the old Rod Laroque movies. The 30s and 40s are the golden age for fictional detectives, I think, starting with the likes of Dick Tracy through Mike Hammer and the sort.

Stan Reid

Comment

Carl Lightman
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Running far afield into the 1950s, my favorite is probably McGraw, the man with no first name.

Stan Reid

Comment

There are some old shows here:

Over 12,000 old time radio shows you can listen to for free. We add about 100 more every week.

Box 13 was Alan Ladd, my mum's favourite star, and I used to tell her that Box 13 was what he stood on to reach the microphone.

Comment

Thanks Robert! I have some of those on tape and CD plus I also heard some first-run when I was a kid. Alan Ladd was my mom's favorite star as well, at least until after his death and Charlton Heston came along.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
                            Hi Robert, hi Magpie,

Thought that you might enjoy this website.

Raffles The Amateur Cracksman was written by E.W. Hornung, and was later made into a number of films, with Yorkshire TV producing a TV Series in the mid 70s. This page contains a biography of E.W. Hornung, plus some of Hornung's verse, images from the TV series and descriptions of Raffles films with summaries of the various actors who have played Raffles on film over the last 100 years. There is also an episode guide to the TV series and a biography of Anthony Valentine who played Rafles in the TV series. There is also an interesting links page.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.

Awesome, thank you!

Speaking of radio shows, Vincent Price as The Saint is one of my favourites.

Comment

Another favourite is Tommy and Tuppence (at least I liked the TV show--my experience of Agatha Christie is that adaptions of her work are generally better than the source material).

Comment

I notice a distinct lack of Sexton Blake (1892) in the mix...

And if parodies are allowed, don't forget Herlock Sholmes (1915)

Comment

Working...
                                X