No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT - update on the alleged Kelly family photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a final note for today below is the family tree as displayed on Ancestry. I hasten to add this has been published as a Public Tree and is accessible to all. At the head are Joseph and Bridget with "the" family photo that was sent to me. I have forwarded this to the supplier of the pics for comment and have asked her how she fits into this family tree - if she does
    One final note - I had assumed that as Joseph and Bridget had married in the USA in 1852 that all children had been American born. However when I looked at the available facts for the Mary K Kelly born 1860, she is listed as born in Ireland
    Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 04-20-2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
      Copying a post I made several years ago on another forum

I had a nice surprise a few years ago when through a genealogist colleague in Wales (Peter Birchwood) I got a "gig" appearing on-camera for a segment of such a show. I think though that the show I appeared on was called "Find-a-Fortune" or something similar. Could that be right?

In any case, Granada TV hired a local cameraman here in the Baltimore area and sent a team over to interview me. The producers wanted me to discuss heirs to the fortune of the Calvert family, the Lords Baltimore, the colonial proprietors of the colony of Maryland. I was filmed leaning against a cannon at Fort McHenry in Baltimore harbor.

The legitimate line of the Calvert family died out in the eighteenth century when the last Lord Baltimore passed away. The last colonial proprietor of Maryland was Henry Harford, an illegitimate son of the last lord. Born on the wrong side of the blanket, as they say.

At the time of the American Revolution, the Calvert family estates were confiscated by the new American authorities.

I think it's doubtful that anyone alive today has the lineage to be able to claim anything from the Calvert estate. That having been said, if someone could successfully make such a claim, it could involve billions of dollars of prime real estate in downtown Baltimore City. So if you think you might be an heir, matey, go for it!!!!

Chris
      Hi, Chris,
      As all the others have told you, you have handled this situation wonderfully. But doesn't the fact that Mary K. was born in Ireland pique your interest further?

While I am interested in that, at the moment, I am more interested in Lord Baltimore who founded Annapolis, which was originally called . . .something else, right? Maybe Providence?? my memory isn't working.

Anyway, my interest is in the Howard family from Jamestown. My family myth is that one of the Lord Baltimores married a Howard (yes a long ago relative), so I am not a descendent.

Was that accurate? Do you know?

Thanks,

Comment

On every US census, from 1860 to 1900,
        Mary Katherine Kelly is listed as having
        been born in Mississippi. On the 1900
        census, it gives her birthday as June,
        1860, but on the 1860 census, Mary
        Katherine is listed as 5 months old.
        The census was recorded in August.

But a real whopper was told by
        Mrs Kelly on the 1900 census. Her birth
        year is listed as 1854, and although it's
        written over, it looks like she's
        46 years old (which adds up), has
        been married for 48 years, and her
        daughter Mary is 39. She's had 7
        children and none have died (as of
        1900).

The family following Joseph and Bridget Kelly's
        family is their son Steaven's [sic] family.

Other items of interest:

Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935

Name: Joseph Kelly

Spouse: Bridget Mannix

Marriage Date: 15 Jun 1852

County: Monroe

This might be Joseph Kelly, although the
        handwriting on the manifest looks like it
        says Kaley:

Name: Joseph Keley

Arrival Date: 26 Nov 1850

Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Ship Name: Halcyon

Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana

National Archives' Series Number:

M259_33

Name: Bridget Mannix

Arrival Date: 13 Jan 1851

Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Ship Name: Springfield

Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana

National Archives' Series Number:

M259_33

Liv

Comment

Hi Live
          You wrote:
          "On every US census, from 1860 to 1900,
          Mary Katherine Kelly is listed as having
          been born in Mississippi. On the 1900
          census, it gives her birthday as June,
          1860, but on the 1860 census, Mary
          Katherine is listed as 5 months old.
          The census was recorded in August."
          That is interesting in that in the pages referring to this family (see below) I have found 7 listings that definitely refer to this Mary K Kelly. Of these 7 entries, four say she was born in the United States and three that she was born in Ireland. One of these Ireland entries says specifically that she was born in Limerick.
          Let me add again that by attaching the family names I am not breaching any confidentiality as these details have been published by the originators to the Public Trees section of the Ancestry site and so would be known to be openly viewable.
          Attached Files

Comment

The more I thought about this overnight the more I am becoming tempted to think that someone (by no means necessarily the person who sent this to me back in 2009) has carefully crafted references to a family that has just enough similar to THE Mary Kelly to pique my interest. But again their motive, if this is the case, remains obscure.
            We have a family whose name certainly was Kelly whose father was apparently certainly born in Limerick. There are 2 daughters and numerous sons. One of the daughters is named Mary and is born in 1860. One source lists her as born in Limerick.
            But maybe this indicates that these points of similarity could explain how a family legend could have arisen - but then again there are so many points of difference, and not minor differences, which would seem to make such a misidentification virtually impossible.
            The worrying thing at the moment is that the lady in Canada who sent me this has not replied since I mailed all this new research to her yesterday morning.
            But I will not prejudge.

Comment

Liv
              many thanks for all the background data on this family you have found - it is much appreciated
              Chris

Comment

Hello Chris,
                Somewhat disappointed in developments, however someone has gone to a lot of trouble to trace this particular family with several talking points amongst .
                As I initially stated , my concerns were that your informant clearly was familiar with your reputation within Casebook, and by handing you the goodies, would assure a fair hearing, but if this was the case patience has been a virtue..so maybe not the case.
                I can see speculative scenario's rising up, ending up with Mary Kathleen Kelly being the person believed to have been the Millers court victim, and dying in 1928 in the states, the same year, as her lover some 40 years before, Joseph Barnett, although oceans apart.
                Mrs Maxwell was right, and there are some hurdles to overcome, but nothing is impossible in the land of Casebook.
                Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  The more I thought about this overnight the more I am becoming tempted to think that someone (by no means necessarily the person who sent this to me back in 2009) has carefully crafted references to a family that has just enough similar to THE Mary Kelly to pique my interest. But again their motive, if this is the case, remains obscure.
                  We have a family whose name certainly was Kelly whose father was apparently certainly born in Limerick. There are 2 daughters and numerous sons. One of the daughters is named Mary and is born in 1860. One source lists her as born in Limerick.
                  But maybe this indicates that these points of similarity could explain how a family legend could have arisen - but then again there are so many points of difference, and not minor differences, which would seem to make such a misidentification virtually impossible.
                  The worrying thing at the moment is that the lady in Canada who sent me this has not replied since I mailed all this new research to her yesterday morning.
                  But I will not prejudge.
                  there are just times in life when both work and family emergencies, births, weddings, etc., take precedence over genealogy.

Plus, it make take her some time to study it, check your own information, come to an understanding ... decide how to respond.

Comment

reason

Hello Richard. I, too, can see those scenarios. But I hope one of them will contain a reason about why someone wished to kill her in the first place.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                      But I will not prejudge.
                      Hi Chris,

It is tempting to think that the obvious errors are deliberate,
                      but there's another possibility. Whoever posted the original
                      tree made errors and the original tree was lifted wholesale
                      by others and the errors were repeated. The other odd thing is that
                      although all these census records are readily available (Ancestry
                      has added a feature that if you look at a record for a person,
                      other records that might pertain to that person appear on the
                      screen to the right, so if you're looking at the 1900 census, you
                      can click on say the 1860 census that appears on the right to
                      see if it's the same person), but the only records that appear on
                      Joseph Kelly's individual person's page on some of these trees,
                      are his birth, marriage and death, no census records at all. This
                      is a relatively new feature, so it could be that these trees were
                      created before this was available.

The other noticeable feature of most of these family trees is,
                      they all seem to descend from Stephen Henry Kelly's line and
                      he is the most thoroughly researched of all the Kelly children
                      and it appears he had the most chldren of all of them too.
                      On the 1900 census, the four Kelly children listed with Bridget and
                      Joseph, whose ages range from 27 to 39 are all unmarried
                      and this includes Mary Katherine. So what might have
                      happened is, because the other Kelly's were not part
                      of someone's direct line, and because they did not marry
                      and reproduce, scant attention was paid to them, but
                      they were included because they are part of the family.

Anyway, I was curious as to whether Joseph Kelly had
                      been involved in the Civil War and although I couldn't
                      find any military record for him, I did find this, posted
                      in 2004 on Ancestry's message board:

I am looking for information on Joseph Kelly. He was born in Limerick, Ireland around 1824 and came to the US around 1851. He married Bridget Mannix in 1852. She was also from Ireland and was born around 1833 in Limerick, Ireland. I have been unable to locate any other info on the family other than this. They settled in Lee Co., MS and Joseph served in the Confederacy and was in Atlanta Ga in August of 1864 based on a letter sent home to Bridget. It also mentions a brother of Bridgets named John. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This poster is the owner of the Jeffreys tree and although
                      it is now well sourced and does contain all the relevant census
                      records (1860-1900), he still lists Mary Katherine as born in Ireland.
                      Since he also has a letter from Joseph to Bridget, I'm wondering if
                      he has other family papers or a Bible that lists Mary K as being
                      born in Ireland and he's chosen to go with that, rather than
                      the census records.

Thanks Chris, but it was really your researcher who located
                      these families. I'm just filling in the odd detail here and there
                      for those, who like me, are curious about them having studied
                      their faces for the past few weeks. I probably would have got
                      there eventually, your friend was just much quicker, so kudos
                      to him/her. Great work!

Liv

Comment

The person who replied to that post, also posted on Rootschat a few years ago :

Comment

story

Hello Robert. Thanks.

There seems no mention of the MJK story. Perhaps they were given a bit of erroneous information later?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

One thing for Kelly-as-ultimate-target theorists : Mary Katherine Kelly = Kate Kelly = Eddowes? No, no......

Comment

Marys

Hello Robert. Well, the thought had crossed my mind. But I think I'd like it better had it been Mary Anne. There actually seems to have been one living not too far north of John and Kate.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Thanks, Robert. Through your link, I was
                                able to find their graves at Gilvo Cemetery
                                in Moorville, Mississippi. Jasper and Florimond
                                are also buried in this cemetery, as well as
                                Stephen Henry Kelly, his wife and at least
                                two of his sons. No sign of Mary K though,
                                but it may be that her grave hasn't been
                                listed, or she later married and it's listed
                                without her maiden name inscribed or she
                                was the last of the familly to die and her
                                name wasn't included on a headstone.

On their find a grave page it also says:

Joseph, Michael and John Kelly came to Mississippi
                                from Ireland during the Famine and settled in Lee
                                County. They were brothers.

So the ship's manifest, the Halcyon,
                                was Joseph Kelly, as his brothers are
                                listed with him.

Liv
                                Last edited by Livia; 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Working...
                                X