Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 year old shoots his sister over video game controller

This story sickens me.....so sad

A teenage Mississippi girl whose 9-year-old brother allegedly shot her over a video game has died, according to ABC Tupelo affiliate WTVA-TV.
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Ok, how does a 13 year-old just "grab a gun"? We hear about "responsible gun-ownership but if the gun is not safe from a 13-year-old then you are not a responsible gun owner. I have family in Switzerland, a country with high gun ownership but hardly any shooting incidents. They are required to keep their gun locked away, unloaded and keep ammunition separate. Plus they are inspected once a year by local police to ensure that they adhere to these regulations. These are only SOME of the regulations surrounding guns in Switzerland. But hey, I guess that thoughts and prayers will make it all better for the family.

Comment

America. A place where you send your kids to school and support the rights of some maniac with a gun to shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
        America. A place where you send your kids to school and support the rights of some maniac with a gun to shoot them.
        But muh second amendment!

Comment

Anything else is disurspecting 'murica.

I can pretty much guarantee we British are not going to invade.
          The armed services have suffered from those 'difficult choices' like everybody else.
          By now, I suspect we are down to a few of those banned Poundland catapults and a lad who reckons he can borrow his uncle's air rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            I just read the details elsewhere, and you are so right about it being sickening, Steadmund.

This is why you must keep household guns locked up. But in the South they are so much a part of life that a nine-year-old not only can get his hands on one from his parents' nightstand in their bedroom, he can also aim and fire it at his older sister, killing her with a shot to the back of the head.

I suppose the NRA will still claim it wasn't the gun's fault, but we must draw a line somewhere. Making a society where a child naturally thinks of a gun as a solution to a quarrel is simply unacceptable.
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              I just read the details elsewhere, and you are so right about it being sickening, Steadmund.

This is why you must keep household guns locked up. But in the South they are so much a part of life that a nine-year-old not only can get his hands on one from his parents' nightstand in their bedroom, he can also aim and fire it at his older sister, killing her with a shot to the back of the head.

I suppose the NRA will still claim it wasn't the gun's fault, but we must draw a line somewhere. Making a society where a child naturally thinks of a gun as a solution to a quarrel is simply unacceptable.
              Not only that.. I am waiting for the NRA or other gun lobby to give us the B/S line " well if the sister were armed too this wouldn't have happened... more guns make us safer"

Look... I am not against guns.. I DO NOT think they should be banned outright, I have no problem with gun ownership if it is reasonable and responsible. In fact most people I know are gun owners...but two things really piss me off about them... 1- this obsessive "gun culture" we have.. where people need not one gun but multiple,,, and guns that are not in any way shape or form for "hunting" or "protecting my family"
              and 2- the constantly yelling "2nd amendment 2nd amendment" when they don't even read it....if you want to go by what the 2nd amendment says.. fine.. almost all of these people would lose their guns!!!! it is
              "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
              not sure most people who have their guns qualify as a well regulated militia.. hell people keep saying we cant put regulations on guns because of the 2nd amendment... the word REGULATE is in the damn thing!!!!!

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

hi all
                I agree with everything everyone has posted here. this is sickening.
                In 50 0r 100 hundred years or whenever, theyll look back and be amazed at what troglodytes we were for not banning guns sooner.

If I had my druthers, I would ban all assault weapons and hand guns except for military and law enforcement.

hunters can keep there rifles for hunting, but I would make the registration process very stringent.

Not only that the second amendment was clearly intended for use for a militia, seeing we were just at war.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

When a nine year old (certainly old enough to understand the immediate consequences of his actions, if not yet able to grasp the full horror of the deed) kills his own sister over something that ought to be a minor frustration, the problem isn't the type of weapon that he used., or whether it was easy to acquire it. Something is deeply, badly wrong here.
                  - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                    When a nine year old (certainly old enough to understand the immediate consequences of his actions, if not yet able to grasp the full horror of the deed) kills his own sister over something that ought to be a minor frustration, the problem isn't the type of weapon that he used., or whether it was easy to acquire it. Something is deeply, badly wrong here.
                    hi Ginger
                    yes there is. and yes it goes above and beyond gun owner ship. But bottom line-assault weapons and hand guns are made and make it too easy for people to kill other people with them.

let some of these idiots, losers and cowards try to kill people other than the easy way of shooting them and this sort of nonsense will stop eventually, or be greatly decreased.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      Not only that.. I am waiting for the NRA or other gun lobby to give us the B/S line " well if the sister were armed too this wouldn't have happened... more guns make us safer"

Look... I am not against guns.. I DO NOT think they should be banned outright, I have no problem with gun ownership if it is reasonable and responsible. In fact most people I know are gun owners...but two things really piss me off about them... 1- this obsessive "gun culture" we have.. where people need not one gun but multiple,,, and guns that are not in any way shape or form for "hunting" or "protecting my family"
                      and 2- the constantly yelling "2nd amendment 2nd amendment" when they don't even read it....if you want to go by what the 2nd amendment says.. fine.. almost all of these people would lose their guns!!!! it is
                      "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
                      not sure most people who have their guns qualify as a well regulated militia.. hell people keep saying we cant put regulations on guns because of the 2nd amendment... the word REGULATE is in the damn thing!!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                      exactly stead.

the second amendment makes it clear that its purpose is for a militia, seeing as we just were at war.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        exactly stead.

the second amendment makes it clear that its purpose is for a militia, seeing as we just were at war.
                        I'd agree that was the framers' intent, but the SCOTUS believes otherwise.
                        - Ginger

Comment

Meanwhile-- another high school shooting today, in Maryland. Two students injured. The shooter was also injured, and died later at the hospital.
                          Ironically, this comes four days before a planned gun-safety rally at the school.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Working...
                          X